New Flexus Quadraflex Mattress too firm - options?

Hi All,

I just received the much-praised Quadraflex mattress last night, and while I like it, I find it a bit too firm. I am 160lbs and sleep on my back or stomach, and was recommended a medium firmness by the company. Apparently this means that the latex topper inside is of medium firmness. Considering my options, please advise if you can on the following:

1. I can exchange the inner latex topper to the ‘soft’ version for $65, which seems like an attractive option but I’ve seen some posts that this might make the mattress too soft overall.

2. I can buy a separate topper to lay on top of the mattress externally. Does anyone have specific recommendation for this - i.e. foam vs latex, affordable options? A 3" latex topper seems to be around $300!

3. I can simply wait for the mattress to soften. I called the company and they seemed to think that this is a poor option because it is not expected to soften.

Thanks in advance for any input!!

You’ve only had the mattress one night - I’d strongly discourage you from making an assessment after only one night of sleep upon the product. All mattresses will soften slightly with use, even latex and the covering and the non-woven fabric wrapping the springs, although the amount will vary based upon materials being used. Your body will also go through a period of retrogression where you’ll adjust to the new product as well.

If you’re bent upon softening up the mattress after one night of use, you can always make the exchange of the comfort layer. As you don’t seem to be unsure of what “medium” means in the mattress you purchased (“Apparently this means that the latex topper inside is of medium firmness.”), please make sure to make sure of exactly what differences there will be in any layers you’re exchanging should you decide to go that route.

Don’t pay attention to other people’s comments of what they personally think is “too soft” in a certain mattress layer - they have no bearing upon what might work for you. I’d certainly consider the advice from the manufacturer in a good phone conversation. Being a prone sleeper part of the time, too plush of a surface can exacerbate your natural lordotic curve in the low back and cause discomfort, which is probably the reason for the comfort suggestion they made.

You don’t tell what size mattress you have, but a latex topper around $300 doesn’t sound unreasonable for a queen size (if that’s what you have). No one can pick out a topper for you or what specific material you may like, and realize that this topper too will soften with use. There’s a good topper reference post here you may want to read that gives some excellent topper shopping advice. However, adding another variable to a new product that you’re still adjusting to can further complicate your comfort selection process. But it does give you the options of adjustability and ease of removal to create different comforts. You have to be careful about creating too deep of a cradle of comfort on top and sinking in too deeply, especially when prone sleeping.

My two cents and best advice is for you to sleep on the new mattress for at least two weeks and allow the product to “settle in” a bit, and then make up your mind. This forum, and others, are populated with people whose initial impressions are quite different from their thoughts after a couple of weeks sleeping upon a new mattress, and they’re surprised how a mattress they initially thought was too firm actually ended up being quite comfortable. You should at least give yourself that chance and let your body lose its learned alignment from your old mattress.

Thank you very much for the great advice, and a very thorough thoughts. I should’ve been clear that it is a queen mattress, and that definitely the medium or soft option refers to be topper inside the mattress. After reading your advice and sleeping on the bed a few more nights, I decided to cancel the topper replacement and give it more time. I will update this post with my thoughts in a week or so.

You’re welcome, and good luck!

Hello again, so I ended up adjusting to the Quadraflex and loving it over the last week. There has been a change though and I would love some more advice. The mattress has been on the floor over the last week while I’ve waited for a new bedframe to arrive, and the floor has provided excellent support. I woke up refreshed and no longer found the mattress too firm.

The frame came in yesterday however, and the mattress feels like it has less support now. Specifically, it is a platform bed (see link below) that has metal slats around 4 inches apart. I recall Flexus saying over the phone that the slats should be 3 inches apart or less. I felt some back ache after lying on the bed for some time (on my back), and this morning have some back pain as well. Do you think my body will adjust again as it did to the mattress, or is this a problem that needs to be fixed? I found a high-quality platform board at Room and Board but this will be a $400 solution including shipping (see link below). Thank you for any thoughts!

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/bedroom/randb-mattresses/randb-platform-board

Using something like the platform bed boards, a plywood deck, or even a coir bed rug can all help increase the firmness of your existing platform bed base. Provided the slats in your new platform bed have proper center reinforcement so that they don’t sag, all of these choices could certainly work. It’s possible that you are feeling a bit of sag as compared to when your mattress was placed upon the floor, and this is causing you to not sleep as comfortably as before. As you slept better with the product upon the floor, I would tend to lean toward a recommendation of making your platform bed base as solid as possible to mimic the solidity of the floor.