new foam mattress shopping

I have been looking for a king size foam mattress between $500-$1700. I am concerned about sagging and support over time. Is it better to buy a $600 mattress every 3-4 years vs. a $1700 mattress that still would have some sagging even after only 4 years? I am looking at Costco $(600-1000), sams club($600-$700 )and original mattress factory.($1700). I want a moderate mattress not too firm not too soft that will accommodate side sleeping. I don’t want to sink in too far and heat up. I was told that original mattress factory had FXI foam at 8lb density. I don’t mind paying the money as long as the sagging doesn’t take place. Any suggestions in this price category? Are you familiar with Costco or Sams club choices for $600- $1000 or have any other suggestions? I live in Orlando FL

Hi lakosil,

The first place I would start your research is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best choices.

A mattress is only as good as it’s construction and the quality of the materials inside it. A mattress will generally soften and break down from the top down so the quality and durability of the comfort layers is one of the most important factors in the useful life of a mattress. While there are may people who have wrestled with the idea of purchasing many lower quality mattresses more often vs a higher quality mattress less often … in most cases you are much better off with higher quality because lower quality mattresses may not even last as long as you think they will and when the materials soften or break down more quickly the more rapid loss of comfort and support leads to lower quality of sleep even if you can still “tolerate” it.

They have just re-introduced the Serenity memory foam mattress which uses 5 and 8 lb memory foam and high quality polyfoam in the comfort layers. If your testing indicates one or the other is a good match in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) it would be well worth considering in terms of quality and value.

Some of the other options and possibilities in the Orlando area I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here including Fox Mattress who is of the members here who I think very highly of and competes well with the best in the industry in terms of quality, value, and service.

You can see some of my thoughts about buying a mattress from a big box store in post #4 here.

Phoenix

Thank you for your advice. Are the fumes from these foam mattresses safe for children and adults?

Hi lakosil,

It depends on the type of foam you are referring to, the testing certifications they have for harmful substances and VOC’s, and where the foam is manufactured.

For almost all adults … I would look for memory foam and polyfoam that was manufactured in North America or that was CertiPur certified if it wasn’t. Almost all latex has been certified by OekoTex standard 100 or other similar testing protocols which is even more stringent than CertiPur and would be fine as well.

ADMIN NOTE: *Removed 404 link|Archived Footprint: certipur.us/pages/for-industry/find-a-foam-supplier/

For younger children I would tend to look for foams that are certified by OekoTex standard 100 class 1 (safe for children). I would also consider polyfoam that was CertiPur certified in the base layer of a mattress but I would tend to avoid memory foam because of possible support / alignment issues for children (who need firmer mattresses) and for possible sensitivities to memory foam. Post #2 here also has links to some of the better threads on the forum about mattresses and children.

Some people may also be more sensitive than the large majority of people who would be fine with these guidelines and certifications or have unusual health issues such as MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities) or be more concerned about some of the fire barriers or glues or other components used in mattresses or may be more comfortable with more natural materials for personal reasons and in this case they may have a different answer to the question of “how safe is safe enough for me” than most people. In this case it can take a great deal of additional research into different materials and components used in mattresses that can lead to a lot of complex and conflicting information and for those who are in this smaller group and are willing to take the time and do the research then post #2 here and the many links and sources of information it includes would be a good place to start.

Phoenix