New latex mattress shopper/pillows?

Hi everyone,

I found this site a few days ago when starting my mattress research, and wanted to commend the admin and all the participants for making this forum a truly invaluable and eye-opening resource. This site has completely changed the way I shop for a mattress and I am definitely a more informed consumer.

My partner and I are both side/back sleepers. We are also warm sleepers, and motion isolation is an issue for me, as I sleep light. After much reading, I am leaning towards BB’s Bamboo Bliss or Aloe Alexis, but I will visit the Flexus store this Friday to try out the latex mattress in person to see how it truly feels and also to get a better experience of each level of firmness.

Also, I have been experiencing quite a bit of neck and upper body/shoulder stiffness which I’m guessing could be affected by sleeping on the wrong pillow. I like a very low pillow generally, and have even tried memory foam pillows, but they leave my neck aching. I’ve read a little about shredded latex pillows - what are they like and would they be a good choice for me?

Thank you for your help!
Helen

Hi dharmachic,

A suitable pillow plays an important role in keeping your head and neck in good alignment and is an important part of your sleeping system. Because your shoulders and upper body will sink into different mattresses to different degrees … different mattresses may need different pillows with different thicknesses to maintain good alignment. The type of materials in a pillow are more about personal preference than anything else and any pillow that can keep your head and neck in good alignment in all your sleeping positions and has a “feel” that you prefer can make a good choice regardless of the materials inside it. There is more information and links about different types of pillows in the pillow thread here that may be helpful.

For those who like the “feel” of shredded latex they can be a good choice. They are less resilient or bouncy than a solid latex pillow and usually a little “softer” (although softness is very subjective and depends on the specifics of the pillows you are comparing) and they can also be “scrunched” to accommodate different sleeping positions.

My own pillow preferences seem to change over time (or sometimes with my mood :)) but my current favorite is a shredded latex pillow while my DH’s favorite is a memory foam pillow.

Phoenix

Thank you for your response! I loved the feel of the latex mattresses I tried, and so have made the leap to purchase the Aloe Alexis today - btw, BB was offering $100 off today for Black Friday, plus I received the 2 free pillows with the MU bonus. Jacob from BB was very helpful on the phone.

I will report back after we receive the mattress and try it out. I’m looking forward to being free of shoulder and back pain.

Thank you!
Helen

Hi dharmachic,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You made a great choice and you also had good timing because they sometimes have sales for some of the major holidays that are more than the regular MU discount and you also received a “pillow bonus” as well.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix