New Mattress And Quilt Cover Set

Hi, so I finally got my new bed set and as well I bought the quilt cover set.

So, i’ll keep this short and simple and in point form

1. For my new mattress, the Nature’s Rest brochure and guide stated that I should rotate my mattress 180 degree every 2 weeks for 6 months. And after the period of 6 months, I should rotate my mattress every 2 months, so how true is this ? Should I be rotating my mattress every 2 weeks for the period of 6 months as of starting now ? Doing the rotating is to prolong the life of the mattress and give even better quality of sleeping, at least that’s what I found out and what it says.

2. I got a question for my quilt and as well as the quilt cover, my quilt is now inside the quilt cover, and it’s laying on top of my bed, can I lie / sit on it ? And can I also fold it in a way like, just like "remove"one corner of it to get into bed , or when I’m sleeping I might accidentally fold it or mess it up. Because a quilt is a blanket right ? So it should have no problem/effects whatsoever to the quilt ?

3. I bought a jean perry quilt cover set with some lining pattern and several other patterns, and the tag inside the bedsheet / pillow cases etc, it says iron on low heat, does that mean I can iron them but must be on low heat ? Should I even iron my bed sheet , pillow cases etc ? Will it affect the pattern ,or the quality at all? How often should I wash my quilt cover set ( bedsheet,cases,etc ) , and how often for the quilt itself ?

Thank you !

Hi Kryscent,

If this is what the manufacturer recommends for care of their item, then those are the guidelines you should follow. All new mattresses have a bit of “false firmness” to them, and more frequent rotating, especially when new, can help even out the break-in period for your mattress.

I’m sorry, but from your information I would have no idea of what you’re referring to as a “quilt” or what your “quilt” actually is. Typical “top of bed” products are meant to be flexible and used and sat upon.

Yes, “iron on low heat” means “iron ONLY on low heat”.

Check the fabric care tags sewn into the item for instructions regarding if you can iron those items.

That’s a personal preference and depends upon the cleanliness of your home. Check the sewn-in fabric care tags or with the manufacturer if they have specific care instructions on how to clean any special items. Weekly washing of sheets is a common recommendation.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=71394]Hi Kryscent,

If this is what the manufacturer recommends for care of their item, then those are the guidelines you should follow. All new mattresses have a bit of “false firmness” to them, and more frequent rotating, especially when new, can help even out the break-in period for your mattress.

I’m sorry, but from your information I would have no idea of what you’re referring to as a “quilt” or what your “quilt” actually is. Typical “top of bed” products are meant to be flexible and used and sat upon.

Yes, “iron on low heat” means “iron ONLY on low heat”.

Check the fabric care tags sewn into the item for instructions regarding if you can iron those items.

That’s a personal preference and depends upon the cleanliness of your home. Check the sewn-in fabric care tags or with the manufacturer if they have specific care instructions on how to clean any special items. Weekly washing of sheets is a common recommendation.

Phoenix[/quote]

My quilt is a bedding quilt, that is put upon the bedsheet and lay down flat, being use as a blanket as a quilt is use for a blanket, not those quilt that is put over table cloth , etc. So I assume as you have said, I can lie / sit on it as I wish.

I see, so every new mattress has a false firmness, that is why I felt it was harder than when I was testing it in the fair, which is slightly more soft as compared with the same exact bed that I bought which I have now, so there is this such thing as a break-in period to let the mattress falls into the full comfort for the body ?

Hi Kryscent,

There will be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses any of it’s “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress.

Phoenix

Hi phoenix, i do have another question but did not want to create another post just for this. My question is as below

I am away on holiday for 3 days. And so I forgot to put a clean cloth over my bed, so basically on top of the bed is just the quilt cover with the quilt inside, and pillow etc, will it get dusty since I did not sleep on it for 3 days ? And if so, what should i do when i get back ? Do i have to wash the sheets again ?

Another question would be, i have looked at the brochure / guide on how to rotate my mattress, what the picture shows is A is head B is tail, so rotate in a way that B will be head and A will be tail, that i am clear, so basically it doesnt matter whether i rotate it starting from left or right , right ? As long as B becomes Head and A becomes tail?

Hi Kryscent,

If your house is dusty, wash your sheets. If you house isn’t dusty, then I wouldn’t wash the sheets.

You’ll end up in the same orientation either way. It doesn’t matter in which direction you rotate the mattress.

Phoenix

Hi phoenix, i have just rotated my mattress, but i didnt lift the mattress up i just rotated it with the mattress laying flat and just turn 180 degree which is the head is now the tail, is it ok to not lift the mattress ? Because i was worried that itll harm anything.

Hi Kryscent,

You shouldn’t have an issue rotating in that manner and it should be fine.

Phoenix

Tq phoenix, on a side note, will dirty bedsheet / quilt cover etc affects the mattress in any way ? Dirty in a sense that it should be wash like once every 1.5 week but i havent got the time and its about 2 weeks now. Also, when i wash my bedsheet, cases etc, the quilt cover should be wash together as well right since it comes as a set ?

Hi Kryscent,

Most in the industry recommend weekly washing of your sheets. The quilt cover would be up to you an dictated by actual use patterns and you may not wish to lauder that as often.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, I decided to just ask in my old thread instead of creating a new thread. I’ve read a lot of research about taking care of a mattress, but none gave me the answers that i am looking for. I am aware of you shouldn’t jump / bounce or any sort of that action on a mattress as it will damage the mattress and some other stuff. Is that true ? Now for my question, can I actually just sit on any part of the mattress ? be it the edge , top, bottom, middle of the middle, by the side of the mattress , is it ok to just sit on it ? Would it cause any short / long-term damage at all to the mattress ?

Hi Kryscent,

High specific weight concentration (such as jumping) will void most mattress warranties. Sitting in any one area for a long time (using the mattress as a chair instead of as a mattress) will put more stress on those areas and can lead to impressions, and should be avoided.

Phoenix

I see, so based on what you said, it’s ok for me to just sit on any area of the mattress for maybe 5-10 minutes ? That time frame will not affect or put more stress of any sort to the mattress, am i right ?

Hi Kryscent,

You’ll be fine.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, I had some stain on one small part on the surface of my quilt cover since afternoon, it’s midnight now so I intend to wash it tomorrow morning with the regular washing machine which is through washing machine with delicate cycle, would it be too late to wash it tomorrow ? Would that wash off the stain and smell of it? To be very honest it’s a fluid stain. Just a tiny small part.

Hi Kryscent,

I would have no idea. I’d think that you’d want treat any stain as soon as possible. I think that question is more appropriate for a forum on laundry.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=72306]Hi Kryscent,

I would have no idea. I’d think that you’d want treat any stain as soon as possible. I think that question is more appropriate for a forum on laundry.

Phoenix[/quote]

Hi Phoenix, I have a total of 3 bedsheets including pillow cases / quilt cover etc. I will be taking turn to use them as I change my bedsheets etc every 2 weeks once. So one of them would only be used like 4 weeks later, so when not used, i keep them at a cupboard, would it be fine to just put it there in the cupboard for 3-4 weeks of not using it and then using it straight from the cupboard after when I need it ?

Just remembered something that I wanted to ask, as you know I have got my new mattress recently and now it’s about nearly 2 months , just want to ask, for the past 2 months ever since I got my new mattress, i’ve been sleeping on my back flat, and always in the middle of my super-single mattress, i was wondering if I could also sleep any way I want ? For instance, can i sleep side ways ? Will it do the mattress any harm ? I’m comfortable with both sleeping on my back and side ways. Must I always sleep in the middle ? although there’s not much space for me to move around but is it a must to sleep in the middle ? or can i sleep slightly to the middle-left / middle right ?

Hi Kryscent,

Use your sheets in any manner of rotation that you desire. I would have no concerns. Your sleeping style will also not matter, and you can choose to sleep in any position or location on your mattress.

Phoenix