New Mattress Backache

I previously had a nearly 10 year old innerspring s-brand plush with a 2 inch layer of memory foam. I slept relatively comfortably on it but it was starting to sag and my wife was not comfortable anymore. So, began our quest for a new mattress.

After much searching, I followed the advice here and purchased a mattress from one of the recommended outfits, Texas Mattress Makers. We were impressed by their construction/attention to detail and went with the Madrid Firm model. Our intent was to add a comfort layer of memory foam to soften the feel a bit. We purchased a Serta 3 inch topper and when I lie down on it, even after an hour, it feels great. The problem is, after 4-5 hours of sleeping on it, my middle and lower back are killing me. Both my wife and I are side sleepers and she does sleep comfortably on this mattress thus far.

I’ve only had it about a week so I’d like to get some advice and how to proceed. Since the core of the this mattress is highly recommended, do we just need to seek out additional comfort layers? Or, are the coils the issue and will cause me pain no matter what kind of topper I use? What is frustrating, is that the mattress feels good initially and then I feel like I’ve been hit by a bus 4 hours later. It does feel too firm at that point, even with the 3 inch memory foam topper. I’ve planned on going back to the store but I wanted to get great advice that this forum offers first.

Hi tropicana,

You certainly purchased a good quality/value mattress but it can be risky to buy a firmer mattress with the intention of adding a topper when you can’t test the mattress/topper combination in person and compare it to other combinations because choosing a suitable topper that is a good combination for both you and the mattress you are using it on (different mattresses will affect the choice of topper that works best for a particular person) can be almost as challenging as choosing a mattress that doesn’t need a topper in the first place and you have more variables that you need to “get right” to find a sleeping system that works well for you “as a whole”. The only way to know for certain whether any specific combination will be a good “match” for you will be based on your own personal experience so you may need to go through some trial and error to find a mattress/topper combination that works well for you (see post #2 here).

It’s very unlikely that the quantum coils are the issue and it’s much more likely that the comfort layers that are already in your mattress in combination with your topper just isn’t a suitable combination for you.

While it’s not possible to “diagnose” mattress comfort issues on a forum with any certainty because there are too many unique unknowns and variables involved that can affect how each person sleeps on a mattress in terms of PPP or any “symptoms” they experience … there is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here.

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

These posts are the “tools” that can help with the analysis, detective work, or trial and error that may be necessary to help you learn your body’s language and “translate” what your body is trying to tell you so you can identify the types of changes that have the best chance of reducing or eliminating any “symptoms” you are experiencing (at least to the degree that any symptoms are from your mattress rather than the result of any pre-existing issues you may have that aren’t connected to a mattress).

The most common cause for lower back pain is a mattress that is too soft (either a support core that is too soft or comfort layers that are too thick or soft) and if I had to guess I would guess that with your topper you have probably added too much additional thickness/softness to your mattress.

There is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to that can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success.

Phoenix

Just as an update, I returned the ultra-firm mattress and got one with a built-in comfort layer (Rome). The good news is that the guys at Texas Mattress Makers are very accommodating and spent time helping us decide which mattress might be a better fit.

Unfortunately, I am still waking up with a stiff middle back. The sore back is more pronounced on this one when I don’t use the 2" memory foam topper. With the topper, it’s definitely an improvement over the previous mattress but it’s still there which is frustrating when you spend that kind of money on a mattress. It’s only been a few weeks so I’m going to give it some more time but we may be returning this one as well. My wife doesn’t seem to have the problems sleeping comfortably on these new mattresses that I do. As I said in my previous post, she was uncomfortable on our old mattress and I slept fairly well so we just don’t seem to have mattress compatibility.

Hi tropicana,

It can certainly be more challenging when you are part of a couple that has different needs or preferences or where one part of the couple is more towards the “princess and the pea” end of the scale than the “I can sleep on anything” end of the scale and it can make choosing a mattress that is a good “match” for both of you more difficult. It can also make some very careful testing (with both of you on the mattress) even more important (and even then it isn’t always a “guarantee” of success").

There is more information in the first part of post #2 here about some of the different ways that can be used to accommodate a couple that have different body types or sleeping styles or that for other reasons have different needs and preferences in a mattress.

Phoenix