new mattress build

hello,
im looking to put together a new mattress and was looking for some advice.
i like a very firm mattress.i have a bad back and if its not very firm i wake up sore.
my last mattress is a stearns and foster and from sleepcountry. it was a soy foam core with 3" latex on top.
it has been pretty good, but after 3 years it does have some soft spots, and now we want a king.
any coil mattress i have purchased before has started out great but too soft after a couple of months.
i am thinking about buying a 6" HR 2.8lb firm foam mattress from the local foam store ($769), and putting a 2" natural latex topper on it($400).http://www.sears.ca/product/novopure-natural-latex-topper/696-000961680-2016-T

a pure latex mattress would be best, but i think its out of my budget. i live in vancouver, canada and if anyone has any other reccomendations it would be appreciated. i dont mind dealing online, but am figuring shipping/duty will be expensive.

i will also go check out mr. mattress, a local mattress store that advertises they sell 2 sided mattresses!

ive read that HR foam is a good option on this site, but will it last me a long time? 10 years?

Hi gibson,

I can certainly speak to the quality of your choices but there is no way for me to know how they will “fit” in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences). The only way to know that for certain is to try it.

2.8 lb HR polyfoam is a very high quality material with a higher resilience and support factor than conventional foam. Even lower quality base foam would probably last 10+ years (depending on the thickness of the layers above it and how much you were compressing the base foam) because it’s usually the comfort layers that are the weak link of a mattress … not the base layers. The advantage of higher quality base layers is more in terms of performance and how they interact with the other layers than in terms of durability although they would have some influence on durability as well.

Many of the Stearns & Foster mattresses that have “latex” in the labels can be surprising what they really contain. In many cases they use what they call “smart latex” which is synthetic Dunlop latex and lower quality than the more typical 100% natural Dunlo latex. In other cases they use fairly thick layers of polyfoam in the comfort layers along with the latex and people who buy them don’t even realize that what they are sleeping on polyfoam more than they are sleeping on latex.

In theory … a 2" latex topper over HR polyfoam can make a good design but the specific details are what would be important such as the ILD of the base layer and the ILD of the 2" topper and how they interacted together and with your body in all your sleeping positions. This is the part that your own experience is really the only way to know how suitable that particular layering will be. This also means of course that unless you have tested a specific combination of materials in person … your options in case you make the wrong choice are also important.

when you are choosing combinations that are unknown to you in terms of how they will feel and perform … it’s usually “safer” to choose slightly firmer over slightly softer because you can always add some thickness or softness to a comfort layer but it’s much more difficult to firm up a mattress that is too soft.

Vancouver has some good choices available and the better ones I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here and may be worth including in your research.

Phoenix

-agreed, definitely have to try it, im more trying to figure whats going to last the longest

-yeah i agree with the stearns comment as well, especially when they wont give you any details on the materials

-for sure, thats why i thought that latex topper from sears would be a good bet in case its not what i was after i could return it.

-good list for Vancouver retailers there, thanks. i have visited a few of those places, the HR foam mattress i am interested is from discount foam… they are very helpful. they only had one latex mattress, and i didnt really look into it as it was $1500, too much for me. i checked out majestic and all of their latex mattresses were upwards of $2000

-if both met my PPP, what would be more durable, a 6" HR poly-foam mattress for $800 or the 7" natural latex mattress from ikea, the sultan edsele for $1000

any other recommendations for a reasonably priced latex mattress?

Hi gibson,

That will depend on many factors as which you can read about in post #4 here and the posts it connects to.

One of the good things about some of the big box stores is often their return policy. The Sears return policy though needs some careful reading. You have 3 days to return their toppers for a refund but ONLY if you don’t open the packaging and sleep on it. Once it is opened you can’t return it at all. The 30 - 90 day return policy applies to exchanges only.

The topper is also 32 ILD Dunlop which many people would find to be on the firm side.

Both would be very durable materials. As the previous posts also indicated … it would also depend on some of the other durability factors involved. While it’s not possible to know how long lasting any specific combination would be for a particular person in terms of years … in relative terms and if all the other durability factors are “equal” then the latex would likely be more durable.

The Vancouver list has the best places I know of that I would include in my research. Post #21 here has some of the online options I know of that are available in Canada.

Phoenix

thank you phoenix, you are a huge help and a wealth of info.

Can you recommend a couple of the better US websites that sell latex toppers with good value?
Doesn’t have to be canada friendly, i can ship it to Blaine, WA and pick it up.
Looking for a 3" natural topper to go on a firm HR foam base.

Hi gibson,

Some of the better topper / component choices I know of are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix