New Mattress decisions

I am looking to replace a 5 year old Simmons Comforpedic that I never really liked as I made the mistake of getting a mattress too soft. Thankfully putting a latex topper on it helped enough to get me to this point.

Anyway I decided this time around to go latex as I am very sensitive to heat and don’t want a hot mattress. I had been looking at the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams Mattress but recently discovered the same company also makes the Brooklyn Bedding #BestMattressEver for not much more. Does anyone have much experience with both of these? It looks like the #BestMattressEver has a higher quality base foam but I am curious about the difference in the top layers. The Ultimate Dreams has 3" of Talalay Latex with 1.5" of soft foam on top of it… The #BestMattressEver is 2" of Talalay and then 2" of Dunlop. It looks from the pictures there is a soft foam on top of it but I can’t tell how much as their site doesn’t list anything. Can anyone add insight on these? There are a ton of positive reviews for the Ultimate Dreams but virtually nothing on the #BestMattressEver so eager to hear if anyone here has one… Also if it helps I am 5"7 140lbs so I figure a Medium level should be fine for me, I also was looking at the Tuft & Needle as well but I like having the options with the other beds.

Hi zexpress,

There are hundreds of forum members that have purchased the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams latex and a forum search on “Ultimate Dreams Latex” (you can just click the link) will bring up all the forum posts that mention it. The Brooklyn Bedding #BestMattressEver has just been launched so the members that have purchased it haven’t had the chance to comment on it yet but there are some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and the mattress as a whole (along with the other “simplified choice” mattresses such as Tuft & Needle) in post #3 here.

Having said that … I would be very cautious about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on either in terms of suitability or durability (see post #13 here).

It has a thin layer of polyfoam in the quilting (less than an inch) to add some softness to the “surface feel” or “hand feel” of the mattress.

The #BestMattressEver also has thicker comfort layers and the Synthetic Dunlop acts as a transition layer between the blended Talalay and the firmer polyfoam support core and the support core is also a higher quality/density 2 lb polyfoam that would be suitable for any weight range while the Ultimate Dreams latex has a 1.8 lb polyfoam support core that would be suitable for “average” weights (low 200’s or less) but I would be a little cautious for higher weight ranges (see post #3 here).

If you are uncertain about whether you would prefer the soft, medium, or firm choices then if you call and talk with them on the phone they will also be happy to give you some guidance about your firmness choice as well.

All of the “simplified choice” mattresses have a great return policy so there is little risk in testing them in your bedroom instead of a showroom outside of the time you spend trying it or returning it if it turns out that you aren’t happy with your choice.

Phoenix

Thanks for the quick response. I did speak with them and Medium seems to be the right firmness for me. I might wait a little bit longer to hear more feedback on the #BestMattressEver as it seems like based on your description it is a superior mattress for not much more. I also like that it has less of the upper polyfoam as in my experience too much of that can cause sagging as things breakdown.

I know they have a 120 day money back guarantee but I’d prefer to avoid the hassle and after 5 years of a not so great mattress I’d like to get it right this time.

Hi zexpress,

I would keep in mind that other people’s experience will have very little to do with whether a mattress will either be suitable or durable for you and you would need to wait for several years (probably 5 or more) for reviews to provide any meaningful information or “patterns of experience” that would be relevant to durability.

You’re certainly right that once there is about 2" or more of lower quality/density polyfoam in the upper layers of a mattress (which unfortunately is “the norm” with most mainstream mattresses) then it would be a potential weak link in the mattress and lead to premature softening or sagging and the loss of comfort and support in a mattress. Layers of lower density polyfoam that are “around an inch or so” in quilting layers will generally have little effect on the durability or useful life of a mattress.

Phoenix