New Mattress?? Help!

Hi, I’m currently using a foam mattress from ikea with a 3" latex foam topper…3 years later and I need something better. Looked at Sleepy’s and they have interesting wrapped coil options and natural ‘hair’ and ‘talalay’ mixture options…

After reading this site, I feel like all options they have are usless because major brands are. Where can I look in Philadelphia, Pa??

I’m a side sleeper, I like a medium softness with a firmer support core feeling. I’d LOVE to get advice on eliminating options, like should I eliminate the coil/layer foam option and just go straight latex foam?? I don’t think I like memory foam (just due to slow response and no temperature control). I’m looking for a full size and want to spend around $2000 (not sure if that’s possible)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Hi kmz7,

Outside of testing for PPP to make sure the mattress is a good match for you … the most important part of making an informed choice is to make sure you know the details of all the layers and components in the mattress and in most cases the major brands won’t supply this (mostly because the quality/density of the materials is lower than smaller manufacturers).

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Philadelphia area are listed in post #4 here.

I wouldn’t eliminate any type of material or component (outside of memory foam which you already know you don’t like) because the type of components and materials in a mattress is a matter of personal preference. All support cores (polyfoam, innersprings, andlatex) have softer and firmer versions and all comfort materials (polyfoam, latex, memory foam, microcoils, and others) have softer and firmer versions as well depending on the ovrall design of the mattress. The key is to make sure that the mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP and that the comfort layers in particular are good quality and durable (a mattress will tend to soften, compress, and break down from the top down) so that you have a reasonable expectation of buying a mattress that has no weak links and will last you many years.

Your budget is plenty to buy a good quality, durable, and suitable mattress … especially in a full size. The steps, information, and guidelines in the tutorial post here will help you make the best possible choice.

Phoenix

Well, need-less-to-say my head is spinning! Thank you for your quick response! I wish I had time to try out all these different places. I’m going to try Verlo in West Chester tomorrow, wish I had better specs to give to make it easier. Could you help with that a little??

I’m 5’9" and weigh 130lbs. I’m a side sleeper with frequent shoulder pain.

I like a medium softness for that ‘sleeping on a cloud’ feeling and relief of shoulder pressure, but I also like something that feels firm and supportive in it’s core. So maybe I need a layered foam as opposed to a solid latex. I know I don’t like memory foam and am partial to latex.

My question is, how many inches of this or that is best?? I saw another post where someone is getting 4" of one kind of latex and 4" of another kind, etc. I would like to know what is ideal for support layer and what is ideal for top layer (given I like softer top)?

If I go to Verlo and there are also coil with latex options should I consider those too or is that more of a budget option?

Again, thanks so much, this site is awesome but my eyes are crossing from so much reading…

Hi kmz7,

[quote]Well, need-less-to-say my head is spinning! Thank you for your quick response! I wish I had time to try out all these different places. I’m going to try Verlo in West Chester tomorrow, wish I had better specs to give to make it easier. Could you help with that a little??

I’m 5’9" and weigh 130lbs. I’m a side sleeper with frequent shoulder pain[/quote].

Unfortunately there are too many variables, unknowns, and preferences to use a formula to choose a mattress and your own testing is the only reliable way to choose with a local purchase (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). If you follow the steps one by one you will have the highest odds of making the best choice and also buying a mattress that will be good quality and value that you won’t regret buying in a year or two or sooner because it’s softening or breaking down. I wish I had a “magic formula” that could choose a mattress for someone else out of all the thousands that are available but unfortunately that doesn’t exist and only you can feel what you feel on a mattress. One of the most important parts of a successful purchase is “finding the experts” and working with retailers or manufacturers that have the knowledge and experience to give you good guidance, have your best interests at heart, and can tell you what is in their mattresses so that when you find a mattress that is a good match for your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences that you can also have some reasonable assurance that the mattress won’t soften or breakdown so quickly that in a year or two you need to replace it (outside of warranty coverage).

I would keep things as simple as possible, follow the steps in the tutorial post one at a time, and use your personal testing to find out which types of mattresses and materials work best for you and that you prefer. Unfortunately there are no shortcuts but in the end you will end up with a much more suitable and durable mattress so you won’t have to repeat the process for many years :).

Phoenix

If you need ideas, and are on a $500 budget, I’ve got just thing thing for you, honey!
I just got this Dunlop latex mattress the other day. I saw it posted on this very forum!
It has almost 5lb density, it is 6" thick, and is made of Latex.
I paid under $500 for this. It is a true latex mattress, and was a killer value.
Good luck with your hunt, and sweet dreams!

Latex 6" 5lb Dunlop

Wow thanks! Sounds fabulous, although I’m looking for something much thicker, like 10". So this would have to be used in conjuction with something else. Thanks for the advice!

Hi kmz7,

If you were replying to the previous post (which is now deleted) … it (and 3 other identical posts they made at the same time in other threads) were from a “duplicate” registration of a banned member who has made a habit of spamming the forum with duplicate registrations and similar posts since their original username was banned.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the heads up, I had a feeling after the fact when I saw there were multiple posts.