New mattress new member

Hi Folks,

I have spent 2-4 weeks struggling over this purchase. My problem is that I cannot make a decision. I get close, and then I read 1 negative review and I get paranoid!

I have NEVER purchased a new bed. I want to treat myself for working hard, but I want to buy sensibly. I can spend up to $1500 - but would rather limit it to $1000. i have an antique-ish frame ( 4 poster Queen Ann Canopy) so i need a box spring too. I am a back sleeper and sometimes switch to my side if my hip pressure points are not bothersome.

Recently I decided I should stick with Costco because the great return policy gives peace of mind.

At Costco - Serafina Novaform has many great reviews and Queen is $650 + $300 for box spring = ,$1000! - a couple negative reviews siting unpredictability in product and durability problems - after 2-3 months use. Costco does not sell boxspring.

At Costco - I am looking at the Spring Air Natalie Hyprid Queen mattress set selling for $1200 total. Only 1 or 2 reviews. Has any one purchased the Spring Air Natalie Hybrid Mattress? It seems to be a firm with a soft top good for my needs, but I am worried about latex quality? Any clues? Any suggestions?

I appreciate any advice, and thank you so much for this site. I have learned so much about mattresses.

I can answer only part of your question: Latex Quality.
Latex is the most durable foam you can get - all other things being equal.

Hi PattyS,

I would probably suggest a “reset” and start your research with post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible decisions.

If you follow the steps one by one you will likely end up making a very good choice.

A mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it and unless you know the specifics of all the layers in a mattress you are considering there is no way to make an informed decision or make meaningful comparisons between them. Both of the options you mentioned are questionable in terms of quality and value.

The Serafina uses 3" of 3 lb memory foam which as you can see in the memory foam guidelines here is lower quality/density than I would consider as a reasonable option unless the durability of your mattress is not an important part of your purchase.

The Spring Air Natalie Hybrid doesn’t disclose the quality of any of the materials at all and I would avoid any mattress where the quality information isn’t disclosed and there is too much lower quality polyfoam in the upper layers of the mattress which can soften and break down much too quickly.

I would be particularly cautious about using reviews as a way to make a mattress choice and you can see more of my thoughts about reviews in post #13 here.

You can also read more of my thoughts about buying from Costco or any Big Box store in post #4 here.

IMO … there are many much higher quality and value choices available to you than either of the options you are considering both of which I would tend to avoid.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix for the quick reply. I have begun to read your recommended posts, and have come to the conclusion that hitting the “reset” button on this mattress purchase project is the best advice. This means I am back at the point where I am considering coil mattresses and foam.

Before I “reset”, I was hoping I could get feedback on the coil model I looked at before drifting toward foam. I liked the Serta Perfect Sleeper Pillow Top or Plush. I like a firm bed, but that pillow top sure felt nice in the store! Maybe too soft. Priced at 13K for set.

PattyS

Hi PattyS,

As you can see in the mattress shopping guidelines here … Serta is one of the “major brands” I would avoid because they normally don’t disclose the quality/density of the materials in their mattresses. Thicker layers of low quality polyfoam or other materials in the upper layers of a mattress (particularly in pillowtops) are the biggest reason for foam softening and permanent impressions that lead to the loss of comfort and support (and the loss of comfort and support isn’t covered by warranty). You can’t “feel” the quality of the materials in a showroom and you can only assess the quality, value, and potential durability of a mattress if you know the specifics of all the layers and components so you can make meaningful comparisons to other similar mattresses. Even the major brand mattresses that do use better quality materials in all the layers and have no obvious “weak links” in the mattress tend to be worse value than other similar mattresses made by smaller independent manufacturers that are sold either factory direct or through better sleep shops (rather than larger chain stores) around the country

I don’t know the specific mattress you were looking at so I can’t make any specific comments about it but if you provide a link that shows the components and layers inside it (or at least the model name) I’d be happy to make a few more comments about it if more information about what is inside it is available.

Phoenix

Hello Mattress Underground (MU): Thank you for the detailed information. I appreciate how thorough and detailed you are. Please forgive this personal dissertation, I have now read through nearly all the material you have leading up to and including the 5 steps to buying a mattress. . Just this morning, I reread certain sections, in an effort to re-beducate me.

I am limited by cost ( $1500 for set - is a stretch) and time.( I have been looking all summer and will be going back to work full time August 12, yet I still do not have a bed!). STATS: I go to sleep on my back and rotate to my side sometimes. Issues with my lower lumbar region steer me toward firm core and soft comfort.I have pressure points on hips and some on the shoulders when on side. From hopping around on beds, as MU suggests, I discovered I like med-firm or firm core support with a soft top comfort layer to redistribute weight of pressure points, and to fill in the lumbar region gap. am a lightweight female, 5ft 7" . I seem to like Differentiated construction, but have not experienced Zone construction. I was gifted a lovely antique bedframe - which started this all in the first place, so I need a box spring/foundation.

First I went to local folks. Keetsa an European Sleepworks - where I got great help, but my favorites were all too expensive. All prices include box spring/foundation.

At European Sleepworks. I loved Nordic III ( 2300 with foundation) and the Latex $2500 with foundation. Super help.

Then, I tried Tempurpedic where I liked the Cloud Supreme ($2700) and possibly the Temp. Cloud Select ($2200).

So, due to expenses, I went to the name brand stores where I limited myself to $1500 for set. At Mancini, I liked Icomfort Insight,Genius or Savant model, one of which was too pricey. At Mattress Discounters I liked Serta perfectsleepers with plush or pillow top, and Costco where I selected Novaform, and Sleep Air- Natalie hybrid . Your feedback and further reading of the MU blog convinced me these models were not worth the price.

Thanks so much for all this. I have been sharing your site with fellow shoppers, and they have been equally appreciative, BUT… Where do I go next? Can you suggest any local or non-name brand companies for me to look next? Can you suggest comparative but more affordable beds - to those I selected above? I did some research on the companies that you mention in your blog. But, it feels odd to buy a bed without trying it out. Please advise. Please suggest comparative models.

Hi PattyS,

As you know from the guidelines, researching your local options (first on the phone and only then with a visit) and “connecting with the experts” is one of the most important steps (step #3) in successful mattress shopping and you forgot to mention where you live :slight_smile:

If you let me know your city or zip I’d be happy to let you know of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

You can read more about trying to match one mattress to another in post #2 here but unless you have enough information about both to know that all the materials and components and the design of both are close to identical or a manufacturer is familiar with how their mattresses match up to a specific model you have tested or is available for you to test in terms of “feel”, material quality, or design, the only way to know how one mattress compares to another is through your own side by side testing to compare how they “feel”. Even here, since you can’t “feel” the quality of the materials in a mattress (both low and high quality materials can feel the same), you can only make meaningful quality or value comparisons between mattresses by knowing all the details of what is inside them even if they compare well in terms of “feel” which is much more subjective.

The time you spend testing mattresses where you aren’t able to find out the specifics of what is inside them is mostly wasted (except as a very general and non specific guideline about the types of materials you tend to prefer). Because they are so widespread and well known … Tempurpedic is one of the brands that many of the manufacturers or retailers in the online memory foam list will be able to “approximate” in terms of either “feel”, quality of materials, or design or in some cases all three if you do decide to go in the direction of an online purchase.

Phoenix

Hi,
I live in Alameda, CA - 94501 Thanks again.

Hi PattyS,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the San Francisco / Oakland area are listed in post #2 here :slight_smile:

Phoenix