New Mattress.....Poor Choice....Topper Help Requested

I admit it. Despite having a huge volume of info on this website, I got lazy, my back was killing me, I threw caution to the wind and bought a cheap mattress. My logic was that if it only lasted a couple of years, it would give me time to shop more carefully and I wouldn’t be losing much. My last mattress was a King Koil Comfort Solutions which I know is a brand to avoid. I didn’t spend much on it and it turned out to be a perfect mattress for me. It lasted 9 years and I would have simply bought another one, but the mattress shop where I bought it is out of business, and I couldn’t find another one. I should have just called the manufacturer in Norfolk, Va as indicated on the tag, but I did not. So I bought a Body Tech Hampton Firm with the following info on the label:
416 High Profile Bonner Coil Stytem
13 gauge coil system
Foam Encased Perimeter support system
Padding System:
Top: Visco Center Third Lumbar Zone Premium Firm Comfort Fiber Pad
Bottom: High Density Support Foam
Quality Package:
Layer of Comfort Foam
Dream safe fire resistant fiber
10 year non-prorated warranty
I know this info is probably meaningless because it is so vague and the types and description of the foam is not included. I also know the warranty is meaningless and even called the shop owner on it when he pointed it out, but he indicated they do stand behind their product to which I rolled my eyes and said “yea, right!”
The mattress was “good enough”, not nearly as comfortable as my King Koil, but for 4 days I woke up with no back ache! On the 5th day, to my dismay, my back ache was back and there was a very pronounced indentation on the mattress where my hips and shoulder rested. I took a couple of cursory pictures and went back to the store. To my utter shock, the fellow was apologetic and said it looked like an issue with the springs. He coordinated with the manufacturer and another mattress is to be delivered in a few days.
I have no idea if the replacement will be any better than the original mattress, but I am trying to salvage the results of a poor decision and am hoping the addition of a topper will improve the comfort of the replacement.
Please help me as I almost ran out to Costco to grab whatever topper they have in stock. I sleep on my stomach and side, my BMI is 30 and I prefer a firm mattress. Will the addition of a latex or gel foam mattress topper help? I went to your page with topper guidance, went through each of the manufacturers, particularly the the latex, and was, once more, overwhelmed again with the choices. Do you have any suggestions? Is putting a topper on a cheap mattress akin to putting lipstick on a pig, or is like adding a layer similar to the beds you build yourself by adding layers?

Hi Carolinagrl,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You are correct that the specifications you provided provide no meaningful information about the foams within the mattress you’re having replaced.

I’m not completely sure about what you’re asking. If you’re getting a replacement mattress, then I would suggest sleeping upon that to see how it feels before potentially modifying the product with a topper. The issue is that if your base mattress is unsupportive or uses lower quality foams that develop deeper body impressions, a topper won’t address that situation, as it will only be able to conform to the surface upon which it is placed. You’ll also want to make sure that the foundation upon which you place your mattress is firm and flat.

Additionally, as you sleep prone some of the time and are a 30 BMI, you’d generally desire a bit of a “firmer” sleeping surface (as you indicated), so if you added any extra padding material, you’d generally want to focus upon higher ILDs and in layers that are not too thick. A firmer latex or firmer high-density polyfoam could be good options. There is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to.

Phoenix

Thanks for your prompt response. Since the manufacturer of the mattress I purchased is replacing it on the basis of 2 snapshots, I am somewhat hopeful the issue I encountered really is a defect in workmanship and not the result of a sleezy operation intent on ripping off the consumer, and I can expect a few years of satisfactory performance with the replacement. So, my goal is to make the replacement (when it come in in a few days), a little more comfortable as there are some mild pressure point discomfort with the defective one I am returning.
I have found a 2" latex topper (firm/38 IDL) from latexmattressfactory. Do you think a depth of 2" and 38 IDL is adequate to make the mattress more comfortable? I understand “comfortable” is subjective, but is 38 ILD considered a “higher” IDL?

Hi Carolinagrl,

While the mattress might not be using higher quality materials (there are no detailed specifications to make that analysis), the fact that your retailer was willing to replace the mattress based upon photos so quickly would be a sign that they are not “intent on ripping off the consumer”. So that’s a good thing.

A 38 ILD would generally be considered in the “firmer” range of comfort, you are correct. And as you sleep prone at times, a 2" would generally be considered more of a “safe” choice versus 3" and perhaps having to deep of a comfort cradle. Of course, your mattress and the padding layer in that product will also contribute to your overall “comfort cradle”. As you may be aware, Latex Mattress Factory is a site member here, which means that I think highly of them, and don’t forget to take advantage of and ask for your TMU discount should you choose to order from them.

Phoenix