New mattress quest (Calgary AB)

My husband and I have just started looking for a new mattress in Calgary AB. Mostly just posting to share and to see if people have anything to add to the local experience, but do have one specific question:

I see a lot of discussion about Halstead Mattress Makers, but general Google searching seems to show that Dean Halstead himself is no longer affiliated with them and is now running “Calgary Mattress Makers”. Just wondering - does anyone know the story on that? Is it still as recommended as it once was to go to Halstead, and/or is the new place a good option (I noticed it’s not on the site’s membership list).

We started at TMASC (possibly a mistake, as we walked out of there loving two beds that were about double our desired price range of $2000-2500). The two we liked best were the Green Sleep Ergo Concept Nine (Latex), and the Berkeley Ergonomics Cairo (pocket coils and latex). We tried checking out the IKEA Morgongava for something much more budget friendly, and probably would’ve liked it before trying the other ones! :slight_smile: We also gave Sears and Sleep Country a quick try, because it’s good to have a baseline.

Also planning to check out Sleep Boutique, and possibly Mattress Mattress and Dormir?

Hi teleute,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!

You are fortunate to have some very good options available to you in the Calgary area list :slight_smile:

They are two separate companies that are owned by members of the same family but the businesses aren’t connected with each other in any way. Dean Halstead hasn’t been connected with Halstead Mattress Makers since well before this site began (almost 5 years ago now) and wasn’t connected with them when they became a member here.

While I do recommend the members here “as a group” and I think highly of all of them … there are also many other retailers/manufacturers throughout the industry that use good quality materials in their mattresses, are transparent about the type and quality of the materials they use, and make some good quality/value mattresses as well that aren’t members of the site (at least yet) that may also be well worth considering and I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to include other options in your research that aren’t members of the site if they compare well to the other finalists you are looking at.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any other comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Interesting…thanks! On the Calgary Mattress Makers site I just saw the phrase “No longer affiliated with Halstead Mattress, Dean is The Mattress Maker.” and wondered if there’d been some recent drama that might have changed the local shopping conditions.

I’ll definitely share more findings as we get them! It’s just tricky to find good shopping time since almost all the places are in the south of the city, and we’re not. And in Calgary, you try desperately to spend every moment of summer weekends out being active while you can… :slight_smile:

Hi teleute,

Any “drama” was years ago and since they apparently don’t quite see “eye to eye” I think it’s more of an attempt to differentiate himself from another manufacturer that has the same name and “imply” that the “better mattresses” moved to a new manufacturer along with him.

Phoenix

Alright, a bit more information on Dormir after a visit. They only bring in one firmness of latex (it’s a Talalay, 24 ILD), and the latex is seemingly just used as the comfort layer, in thicknesses between 2 and 4 inches. The support layers are different types of non-latex foam (quality and firmness can vary by price point and/or your directions to them). He also said he could do a full latex mattress custom, but didn’t really see the point in using latex all the way through. (Perhaps because there’s only the one firmness option, so that doesn’t leave it as adjustable?) Anyway, the price point is certainly more in our budget (mostly between $1200 and $1600), so it’s definitely an option at this point. Not 100% sold, but something to keep an eye on.

Hi teleute,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it.

You still have some good options left to consider that are in your budget range but it seems that you are certainly making progress :).

Phoenix

Making some progress indeed, although no option is leaping out at us yet. Here’s hoping. :slight_smile:

Went to the NE Sleep Country, where they had the latex beds. Well, bed. They stock two, but they had some flooding due to the crazy storms we got the last couple of days so only one was on display.

The one they had out was the Natura NaturaLatex Circadian, which as far as I can tell is basically the NaturaLatex Torrence? For all that it’s called a latex mattress, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of latex to it. :frowning: But it actually was pretty comfy - good support, although it could use another inch on the comfort layer for our preference, I think. But good alignment for both of us. It’s normally $2500ish but because it’s new they have an “Introductory price” on it until the 17th, of $1700 for the Queen set.

The one that was soaked and so not on display was the Natura NaturaOrganics Eco Balance (I think the EcoRevive). Their normal price on that is closer to $5000, but the Intro price was I think $3600?

We also tried Mattress Mattress, and while they had 3 latex mattresses by Kingsdown, we didn’t like the feel of them even quite as well as the SC one and they were in the range of $3K, so didn’t bother looking much more into the materials. They also had two pocket coil with latex toppers, but these were both way too soft for us.

What we did realise after trying the other ones was what we didn’t like about the ones from Dormir - they were somehow both bouncier and mushier than the other ones we’ve tried. Those go to the bottom of our list for the latex ones, I think.

So still would like to get to Black Sheep, Halsteds, Mattress Makers, and Sleep Boutique, if we can get the timing to work… But at least we have a couple of options we’re happy with, if not ecstatic.

I’m glad to see this thread, as I’m just starting to feel my way towards replacing my long-worn-out 20+ year old mattress, and it looks like most of the places I plan to visit are also high on the lists here.

I am a back sleeper. I’ve paid Sears and Sleep Country brief visits to set my expectations - in both cases I ended up gravitating towards models that were mostly memory foam on spring; I then paid Halstead a visit and found that they did a much better job of the same thing.

Tomorrow I am going to venture out to Black Sheep and to Sleep Boutique. We shall see how that turns out. :slight_smile: I think I will also inquire about something with a latex comfort layer, as the thought hadn’t even crossed my mind by the time I had left Halstead - it pays to do a bit of research!

One way or another, I’m looking foward to sleeping easier.

Hi smelenchuk,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

Outside of Sears and Sleep country … you are certainly looking at some good quality options. I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback after your visits and of course any questions you may have along the way that I can help with.

Phoenix

Whew - we’re finally done! Well, aside from the details and the tweaking. :slight_smile:

We managed to make it in to Black Sheep, Sleep Boutique and Halstead this weekend, due to some work flexibility on my part and some appointment flexibility for Sleep Boutique. To start, I have to say we got some pretty amazing service at nearly everywhere we went (Sears was the one exception, and I expected nothing less). Rory at the NE Sleep Country was actually far more knowledgeable and helpful than I often expect from a chain, and everyone at the smaller local stores really went above and beyond. Very grateful for how helpful everyone was.

Black Sheep was the first visit of the weekend. They do their all-latex mattresses in 3 thicknesses - 7", 9" and 12". The 7" was the closest to our budget, but we didn’t feel that it was thick enough to get the desired firmness combo to let my husband’s shoulders drop in far enough to keep his spine aligned. 9" was definitely better, so it went on the short list. It was still overbudget ($3200 before foundation), but at least closer than the highest end ones, and a better fit than the lower end ones.

Next to Halsted. Discovered to our delight that they also do the zoning (head/middle/foot) like we’d seen in our favourite bed. Tried out some permutations and got one that felt very good. Then he did the pressure mapping on that and found that it looked pretty perfect for me, and a touch too soft in the middle for my husband. Minor change for that and it looked better on the map, and felt better to my husband as well. Tried a couple of other swaps just for science, but none turned out as well. (I was happy to see our judgments aligning so well with the readings. Kinda reassuring.) And the price actually came out very close to the top of my budget. Slightly over, but within sight (about $2600 vs our top-end desired 2500, including foundation). :slight_smile: Given that we liked it the best of anything we’d tried so far, we were feeling pretty sold.

We still had an appointment at Sleep Boutique, though, so figured we wouldn’t be hasty. We checked out their options as well, and I think this would have been our pick if Halsted hadn’t worked out as well as they did. Their latex mattresses were customizable as well, and also seemed to be good quality, but the one thing they were lacking was the zones, which made a fair amount of difference for my husband’s comfort and some for mine. The price point was lower, though (about $2100 before foundation - can’t recall how much the foundation was), so if we hadn’t preferred zones it certainly would have made sense for us.

The other thing we have to factor in for cost is that Halsted does have a delivery fee, although given how everything but the top layer is in thirds we can just pick it up ourselves easily enough. We will have to take care of getting rid of the old mattress and box, though. We may try listing it on kijiji for free - it’s not comfortable for us anymore but it may work for a while for someone who can’t afford anything; alternately there’s a recycler in town called Re-Matt, and they’ll pick up for about $100 IIRC.

So yeah - we just need to iron out a couple of details with Halsted tomorrow but it sounds like we’re set. Now to wait the [strike]eternity[/strike] three weeks until we can get it! Hopefully this was helpful for anyone in the Calgary area - feel free to respond here or message me if you want any further info.

Also, thanks again to Phoenix (and others who contributed their knowledge through various threads) for all the help provided here, as well as for the discount that came from mentioning the link! Your time and efforts are very appreciated!

Hi teleute,

Thanks once again for taking the time to share your experiences in such great detail. I think that your posts will be very helpful for many others in the Calgary area.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly did some great research and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback after the 3 week “eternity” is over and you’ve had the chance to sleep on your new mattress for a bit!

Phoenix

Hi, I have been going through a similar search as you and was curious to hear what you ended up getting from Halstead and if you are still happy with it. Thanks!

Hi ltoth,

I don’t recall teleute following up with feedback about their new mattress, but hopefully they will see your post and provide an update.

Phoenix

Ooof…sorry! I really did mean to come back and follow up, but I kept waiting to see how things would go so I could give a full report, and that took a while. Dropped off my radar. :frowning:

Anyway, to try to summarize a relatively long process… They did their “pressure test” or whatever - a computerized thing that supposedly tells them what level of support works best for you based on pressure points and so on. I (against my instinct, irritatingly) went with what they said instead of what I felt, which was that the recommendation was too soft. I generally like a very firm mattress, but thought hey, if science is telling me it should be softer…

I started getting some backaches and extremely bad neck issues after we got the new bed. They did work with me (eventually - they almost never responded to emails…I had to go in in person) to swap things out so it was as hard as they can go. Made the pain a bit better, but still not enough. I ended up having to put a sheet of pegboard between layers to firm it up enough to alleviate the pain.

So yeah…if you like/need a firm mattress, latex (or at least the ones from Halstead) is not for you. They were overall good to deal with, but kind of frustrating at times when they’d just stop responding to email mid-thread.

If I could do it over, I wouldn’t get it, to be honest. But there’s every chance it’s right for you…who knows. Just don’t take their computer analysis as anything other than a data point.

Hi teleute,

Thanks for your update.

I’m sorry your mattress turned out to not be the comfort that you desired. You never provided the exact specifications of the product you chose, so I can’t provide commentary on the overall “firmness” of your particular configuration.

Originally, you seemed to think that your preference matched what you were being told ("I was happy to see our judgments aligning so well with the readings. Kinda reassuring."), so I know that can be disappointing.

That’s quite an extreme step that effectively minimizes/eliminates the contribution of the lower layers of foam within a mattress, which makes me curious of the ILDs of the layers within your mattress.

I’m sorry you had some slower response times with your emails, which is one of the reasons I always recommend a phone conversation directly with any retailer/manufacturer when dealing with comfort preference issues. While the level of firmness may have not met with your expectations (some people simply don’t prefer the feel of latex), there certainly are some quite firm latex offerings, which again make me curious as to the overall layers that your mattress has (I know much of this is “after-the-fact”, as you’ve had your mattress now for two years).

Most of the pressure mapping systems are specific to a certain line of mattress and aren’t really relevant to mattresses as a whole which have different constructions. They also only measure surface pressure (which you can often feel in your own personal testing) but don’t provide input into alignment or how the pressure is distributed in the deeper body tissues or include the differences in physiology between people (pressure affects different people differently). There are a few more comments in post #2 here and post #4 here about pressure mapping systems.

Thanks again for your update.

Phoenix

Heh…yeah, I obviously underestimated how big an effect what seemed like a little difference could make. (The mapping was pretty close to our preference relative to the options they had, but our preference was basically the hardest and their system showed down one notch, basically). Also, I realised how much different it is to feel comfortable laying there for 5 minutes, as opposed to overnight. :slight_smile:

One other thing as well, is that my partner and I sleep fairly close together, but they had us do the pressure mapping seperately, and with the softer configuration I found it was almost okay to sleep on when I was by myself, but not at all when we were together.

As for the ILD, they never gave me numbers. Basically it’s made up of three 3" layers, and each layer can be “firm”, “medium”, or “soft”. I now have every layer on my side as the firmest option (and my partner has one layer as medium and the rest firm), and it just wasn’t enough. I’ve slept so much better and with a lot less pain since putting in the pegboard. So while I’m sure it’s possible there’s latex that could be firm enough for me, Halstead definitely doesn’t offer it. I feel like I tried to ask them the ILD back when we were shopping and they kind of hedged, but I don’t honestly recall for sure. Itoth, if you do go and check them out, I’d be curious as to what they say on that front. :slight_smile:

Hi teleute,

Thanks for the follow-up.

It does happen that some people do not prefer the point elasticity that latex provides, even in “firmer” ILD ranges, and that unfortunately seems to be the case in your situation. At times people will have an affinity for an overall “harder” surface comfort that can more commonly be created with higher density and higher IFD polyfoams and a strong innerspring unit.

Phoenix