New Mattress Quest

Hello,

My wife and I are looking for a new mattress - more me that her due to my back issues - previous multiple broken ribs, crushed shoulder blade and existing multiple bulging disks. But I am fortunate, while I am in pain, I get around fine, look in good shape as I force myself to exercise and able to enjoy my grandchildren.

We now have a Spring Air latex mattress - the Olympus - 2" Celsion (talalay latex), 1" Dunlop, 3" Duvet Latex, 7" plant based foam. I am 5’ 8", 195 and my wife is 5" 2", 140ish. We had the Spring Air since 2011 and I just took in back to Costco for a complete refund - thank you Costco! I (like my wife) are 90% side and 10% back sleepers.

We shopped around and the local stores and they all mainly carry spring and memory foam. We both liked the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe (although she prefers a more traditional feel). The Luxe price is ridiculous, but at this point I will sacrifice money for comfort. I started questioning Tempurpedic’s pricing so went on the web where I found various mattress review sites (with Mattress Underground being the best) and have a re-born perspective on what we should be purchasing.

That is, we originally went with latex as it is more eco and health friendly than memory foam and sleeps cooler (I have a tendency to sleep hot at times). So, our best bet logically appears to be latex.

I saw Mattress to Go listed as a member and luckily they were close to me, so I tried out their mattresses. I feel in love with the PureLatexBliss Beautiful - cost is $2600, plus around $300 for foundation. I was surprised that I liked it so much as it is so soft.

Questions:

1. While the Beautiful appears to be comfortable, should I be concerned with long term functionality such that it will become too soft?

2. What about other companies, such as FoamSweetFoam, that offers non-glued foam layers that can be switched around and/or swapped out? Would these companies, such as SleepEZ, Brooklyn Bedding and FoamSweetFoam, be a better choice than PureLatexBliss?

3. PureLatexBliss, at their quoted price of $2600 for the Beautiful, does not offer a “Comfort Guarantee” - no returns of any kind, does anyone see this as a concern?

4. Am I correct to remove memory foam as a contender?

Thanks in advance!

Hi NeedSleepInMI,

While there will be some softening initially … latex is the most durable foam material (and the blended Talalay is more durable than the 100% natural Talalay) and will soften and break down more slowly than other types of foam material. My only caution would be to make sure you have confirmed that the mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) since as you mentioned it does have relatively thick and soft comfort layers but if it’s a good match for you then there are no weak links in the mattress in terms of durability.

Whether they would be a better choice for you would really depend on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you and your comfort level with an online purchase and that’s something that only each person can can answer for themselves. All of the mattresses you are mentioning use similar materials (latex) so none of them would have any weak links in terms of quality or durability. Once you are down to final choices that are all between “good and good” then which one would be “best for you” would really depend on all the objective, subjective, and intangible criteria that you feel strongest about.

Some stores that sell PLB offer a comfort exchange and some don’t and the benefits would depend on your confidence in the suitability of your choice in terms of PPP. Comfort exchanges are built into the retail cost of a mattress so the people who exchange a mattress pay for the ones who don’t.

There is really no “correct” or “incorrect” when it comes to the choice of materials in your mattress as long as any mattress you choose uses good quality materials (each type of material has lower quality and less durable versions and higher quality more durable versions) and there are no weak links in the mattress. The choice between different materials is always a preference choice that depends on each persons criteria and what they prefer and isn’t a “better/worse” choice.

Phoenix