New Mattress Too Hard...

I was so excited yesterday, my new mattress arrived! I prepared my bed with reverence and sat waiting for a socially acceptable time to go to bed. This was going to be an awesome night! Three hours later I was laying there thinking “and what fresh hell is this?”. This is NOT like the bed I laid on in the store, this is some other kind of hell.

I know, I know…They take some getting used to. Memory foam blah, blah, blah, blah (insert jargon there)…Yes, yes in concept I understand all of this…I have to wait 30 days and give it a chance. But my arms and legs went numb and tingly, I am pretty sure the bed was rejecting me as I spent hours last night tossing and turning…Of course, in concept I get that, however in reality I feel I have been condemned to 30 days and nights of wandering my house in an attempt to find the most allusive of things…Comfort. What can I do? I cannot return or exchange for 30 days but I have this annoying habit of needing to sleep… In the interim, how I can make my memory foam livable?

I seriously considered kicking my dog off her dog bed last nigh and asserting myself as the alpha female, thereby claiming the most comfortable bed in the house…

Help!

Hi Sleepless, I got on the site to post a follow up on my Snowmass latex mattress that softened too much, so I will suggest you look at the post. In essence I found two latex mattress that softened up quite a bit and give a newbie’s tip on speeding up the progress. Lew

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/denver-mattress-snowmass-softened-in-4-days

Hi SleeplessinMT,

I can certainly sympathize with you but unfortunately both the initial break in period of a mattress and the adjustment period of sleeping on a new surface is a reality that is part of the process. There is no way to avoid either although the process takes longer for some than for others (for some people it can be right away and for others it can take most of the 90 days).

There are really two issues involved here as well. One is the “accuracy” of your initial testing and how closely you were able to replicate and “predict” your sleeping experience in a store and the other is the break in and adjustment period.

If the mattress really is suitable for your needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) and it’s only because it’s different from the mattress in the store … then it’s just a matter of time (assuming you received the same mattress that you tested). If the design of the mattress isn’t suitable for you … then the break in and adjustment period won’t “fix” things and you will need to take other steps.

Post #2 here as well as post #2 here can give you some things to check and test and post #6 here has more detail yet and may give you some insights into what may be happening and what you can do to resolve any “symptoms” you may be having.

As LEW mentioned you can speed up the process by walking on your mattress which will have an even bigger effect on memory foam than it will on latex. All of this of course is assuming that the “cause” of the symptoms you are having is in the mattress itself and not something either over or under it or in your sleeping environment (such as temperature) that is changing the way if felt and performed in the store.

Phoenix