New mattress

I have been sleeping on a mattress with a 4" memory foam topper. The mattress was an expensive one that my wife and I purchased many years ago. I sleep on much better on this than a cheap mattress we use as a guest bed. Sleeping on the guest bed causes back pain. I am getting divorced and my wife will be taking the good bed leaving me with the crappy guest bed.

I Really like the memory foam topper and originally thought I would add one to the existing mattress. After reading your information I thought it might be a good idea to buy a complete memory foam mattress. I’ve been looking at Rocky Mountain Mattress. I’m thinking about getting a CoolComfort 10 which uses 2" of Aerus 4lb. memory foam and 2" of Sensus 5 lb memory foam. The only thing I don’t like about the memory foam topper I’ve been using is that it gets hot. I understand Aerus sleeps a bit cooler than Sensus but the Sensus is higher density. I hope to get the best of both worlds by combining them. Does this make sense?

I understand Aerus and Sensus are CertiPUR certified. They use two 3 inch layers of high-density Reflex foam in the core. One layer is rated at 30 ILD and the other at 35 ILD. Do I need to be concerned about making sure these are CertiPUR certified?

Hi arobbert,

This makes perfect sense to me. There are many factors involved in the sleeping temperature of a mattress (see post #2 here) but one of these is the type of memory foam used in the upper layer and Aerus is more open celled and breathable than most other types of memory foam. The cover is also Coolmax which is more ventilating and cooler as well.

All of these are American manufactured and are CertiPur certified so this wouldn’t be a concern for me at all. I would also talk with them about the specific ILD of the base layers to make sure it’s the most suitable combination for your body type and sleeping style (I believe that 30 and 35 may not be the only options they have available although for “most” people these would be fine based on “averages”.

I think these are a very good quality and value choice and best of all you have the flexibility to re-arrange the layers is this is necessary or desirable.

Phoenix

Thank you for your reply. I would like to get your opinion of the suitability of this mattress for me. Below are my statistics. Please let me know if you require more information.

I weigh about 190 pounds at 6’1" I’m relatively thin and athletic. I sleep mostly on my stomach and my back although I do sleep on my side at times.

The cores: One layer is rated at 30 ILD and the other at 35 IL. Do I need to change this?

Do you think I should consider the CoolSleep 9 for my weight and body type? I like the price but I’m not sure I’ll like the memory foam. With the CoolComfort 10 I get both Aerus and Sensus and could swap them to adjust the feel.

Would you recommend a mattress pad in addition to the mattress cover? If yes, what type? The bed I’m on now with the 4" memory foam has a basic cotton one that feels okay.

Hi arrobert,

Questions about the suitability of any specific mattress for a specific person should always be directed to the manufacturer themselves. They work with these every day and are much more familiar with all the specifics of their own mattresses than I am and also have a database of customers of all different body types and sleeping styles that they can use as a reference point. Any “theory at a distance” I could offer would not be nearly as informed or helpful as talking to them directly.

Do you think I should consider the CoolSleep 9 for my weight and body type? I like the price but I’m not sure I’ll like the memory foam. With the CoolComfort 10 I get both Aerus and Sensus and could swap them to adjust the feel.

I would tend towards the CoolComfort because there is less 4 lb memory foam (which is generally less durable and softer than 5 lb memory foam) and because as you mentioned you would have the option of switching the layering to adjust the feel. Without a reference point of testing similar mattresses though (so you have some personal testing experience with similar mattresses) … I would work with them directly to decide on which layering may be most appropriate. Back and stomach sleepers (especially stomach sleepers) tend to need thinner layers to prevent the heavier pelvis from sinking in too far and sleeping in a swayback position so I would make sure you let them know this in your conversation with them so that you could take your sleeping positions into account. They may also be able to tell you which of the Tempurpedics may approximate their mattresses (if there is one because Tempurpedic doesn’t make a mattress with only 3" of 4 lb memory foam) so you could have some personal experience on similar mattresses to use as a guideline if possible.

Not a mattress pad (unless it was necessary for some reason to fine tune the feel of the mattress) but a mattress protector yes. I think they are an important part of your sleeping system to prevent damage or stains from any accidents and body fluids and to protect both the mattress and the warranty. There are several different types available and tradeoffs involved with each type that are a matter of personal preference. You can read about your different options in post #89 here. The most common choice for memory foam mattresses is probably the thin stretchy membrane type which would have little effect on the feel of your mattress, is waterproof, but may increase your sleeping temperature somewhat compared to the others.

A thicker mattress pad will have a much more significant effect on the feel and performance of the mattress.

Phoenix