New Mattress

Hello,

My husband and I just purchased our first mattress at Nest bedding after doing extensive research, acquired from your site. We went with the Alexander medium Mattress in a King size. It was very comfortable Intially, while we were in the store, but 3 weeks in, we find the bed very uncomfortable. We both wake up aching joints, backs, etc. I dont feel supported in the bed at all. I am a side sleeper and my husband is a stomach sleeper.

Originally, when we started our mattress shopping, we wanted a tempurpedic but did not have enough money to purchase the one we liked. It was the tempurpedic, contour rhapsody luxe medium firm. We were told the Alexander was similar to this bed and it definitely is not.

I also had the chance to sleep at a friends place and the bed I slept in was a Nature’s Dream Memory foam bed. It’s 80% cotton and 20% polyester. I woke up well rested and felt this mattress supported me really well.

My question is, do you know anything about Natures Dream Mattress? I cant find anything online. I also want to know if there is anything similar to the natures dream, or the tempurpedic mattress I mentioned above. We really want a true foam mattress, that is supportive, comfortable and reasonably priced. I dont want to go over $2,000.

Some stats, I am 5’7’ andf 165lbs. My husband is 6’0" and 190lbs. I sleep on my sides and sometimes stomach. He primarily sleeps on his stomach. Let me know if you need anymore information from me. Thank you so much.

Hi Nurse79,

I’m sorry to hear that your mattress choice didn’t turn out as well as you hoped for. As you probably know from your reading here two mattresses that would feel similar to some people may not feel similar to others so it’s also good to hear that you had the foresight to purchase a mattress that has a great return policy so that you could test the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk (outside of the time you spent sleeping on it and/or returning/donating it).

It would probably be helpful if you could provide a link to the mattress since there are probably several mattresses that are called “Nature’s Dream” that could be very different from each other.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price or course and the options you have available after a purchase).

While I can’t speak to how a mattress will feel for someone else … outside of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress always depends on knowing the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you can find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

If you can find out the specifics of the Nature’s Dream mattress (type of materials and components, layer thicknesses, the density of any polyfoam or memory foam or the type and blend of any latex) and list them on the forum I’d certainly be happy to let you know if I can see any obvious weak links in the mattress that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).[/quote]

There is also more about the different ways to choose the most suitable mattress (either locally or online) that can help you assess and minimize the risks involved of making a choice that doesn’t work out as well as you as you hoped for in post #2 here.

I would keep in mind that “foam” is just a generic name (like “fruit”) and there are three main types of foam materials that are all very different from each other (polyfoam, memory foam, and latex foam). Most of the Tempurpedic mattresses are memory foam mattresses that use various combinations of memory foam on top of a polyfoam support core.

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort” and PPP based on the specifications of the mattress.

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so while you may find some local mattresses that use “similar” materials or designs and there would be many others that are in a similar general category or firmness range … they will generally have different combinations of foam layers and components.

Unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” (or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people) … the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

There are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

While your own careful testing or personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP or how closely it “matches” another mattress … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Having said all that … outside of any local options that may be available to you that you can test in person to see how closely it “matches” the contour rhapsody luxe … the mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) and several of them make mattresses that are specifically designed to approximate some of the Tempurpedic mattresses as well (including many of the Tempurpedic mattresses) which may also be well worth talking to or considering.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix! Everything you mentioned was very helpful. I’m definitely going to read up on, all of the points you mentioned in your answer. I live in San Francisco, 94117. Looking forward to your suggestions.

Have you heard of Christeli? How do there foam mattresses compare to tempur-pedic?

Hi Nurse79,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the San Francisco/Berkeley/Oakland areas (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your criteria and the quality/value guidelines I linked in my last reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

thank you Phoenix.

My husband and I have decided to purchase a mattress online to save us some money. We are deciding between five mattresses at walmart with excellent reviews.

The first one is ,The Spa Sensations 12-Inch Theratouch Memory Foam Mattress will help you enjoy a more comfortable, better night’s sleep. With a top layer of premium Theratouch memory foam, this Spa Sensations mattress conforms and supports your individual body shape, relieving pressure points and stress. The ventilated Air-cool Foam layer and the Support Foam layer combine to provide the support and comfort you need. This Theratouch memory foam mattress features a blend of natural seed oil and green tea, which minimizes the use of petrol products and helps to keep your mattress fresh. Enjoy a more comfortable, better night’s sleep with the 12-Inch Theratouch Memory Foam Mattress.

Spa Sensations 12" Theratouch Memory Foam Mattress, Multiple Sizes:
3" of Theratouch premium memory foam plus 3" of ventilated Air-cool foam
6" of high-density support foam
Features a deluxe, velour cover
Our patented compression technology allows our mattresses to be compressed, rolled and shipped in a box via Fedex; please allow 48 hours for it to expand fully after opening
CertiPUR-US Certified for durability, performance and content
Limited 10-year warranty

The second, is the Experience sleep on a mattress unlike all others. The Signature Sleep CertiPUR-US Inspire12 mattress is designed with a soft polyester cover to make you feel like you’re sleeping on a cloud. The memory foam cradles your body and relieves pressure in all the right places on the shoulders, spine, hips and feet to ensure balanced support. In addition, the memory foam eliminates motion disturbance and lets you sleep throughout the whole night without any interruption. With the Signature Sleep CertiPUR-US Inspire12 Mattress, your body will feel brand new every morning!

Signature Sleep Gold Series CertiPUR-US 12" Memory Foam Mattress, Multiple sizes:
Unique basket weave design mattress cover
Soft cover is made of polyester
3.5" Memory Foam 2.5 lb, 9ILD
8.5" high density foam 1.5 lb, 20 ILD
Memory foam reacts to body heat and pressure and molds to the body’s natural shape, thus evenly distributing body weight and alleviating unnecessary pressure on joints
It then returns to its original shape once you remove the pressure
Memory Foam Mattress is CertiPUR-US Certified which ensures that the mattress is made without PBDE flame retardants, ozone depleters, mercury, lead and heavy metals
Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million)
Made without phthalates regulated by the Consumer Safety Product Commission
We care about your comfort, but we also care about the environment; mattress contains certified eco-friendly foam, whose manufacturing process prevents volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from being released into the atmosphere
Meets federal flammability standard 16 CFR 1633

The third one is, The Contura by Lane III - 12’’ Memory Foam Mattress offers contouring support for luxurious comfort. It uses temperature-sensitive memory foam to properly mold to your body shape providing soothing pressure relief. The Contura by Lane III - 12’’ Memory Foam Mattress is environment friendly and meets strict standards. It features a silky smooth natural bamboo cover that wicks away excess moisture to maintain a clean, dry, and hygienic sleep surface. The zippered cover can be easily removed for washing. The high-density engineered latex foam support base enhances durability and reliable support. Designed with the open cell memory foam, this hypoallergenic Contura by Lane memory foam mattress creates a cool, refreshing sleep environment. The mattress is available in different sizes of King, Queen, Twin, Full, and Cal King sizes.
Contura by Lane III 12" Memory Foam Mattress:
12" memory foam mattress
Premium high density open cell memory foam over a support base of engineered latex foam
Contura by Lane memory foam mattress density lb rating: 3 lbs
Deluxe rayon from bamboo stretch cover
Zip-off removable, washable cover
Certified environmentally-friendly
Tested for harmful substances and meets all federal standards for fire safety
Meets international standards for the reduction or elimination of ozone-depleting substances
Please allow 48 hours for the mattress to fully expand after removal from packaging
The 12" mattress includes manufacturer’s limited 20-year warranty

The 4th mattress is Sleep Revolution designed this exclusive Sport Memory Foam Mattress collection with the active individual in mind. The Sleep Revolution 12" sport memory foam mattress with celliant sleep technology features a fabric designed with the patented Celliant Sleep fiber technology that enhances the oxygen levels in the body. Increased oxygen levels in the body improves comfort, relieves pain, promotes quicker muscle healing and increases energy levels throughout the day. Active Response Memory Foam is the unique layering of a cradling gel memory foam with our Quick Response foam for resiliency and support.

Sleep Revolution 12" Sport Memory Foam Mattress:
3-zone quilted top of this 12" memory foam mattress helps to eliminate pain in shoulders, hips and back
Exclusive fabric design on the Sleep Revolution Mattress
Cover features the patented Celliant fiber that converts natural body heat into infrared energy and reflects back into the body
The infrared energy that is reflected back promotes circulation and increases oxygen to tissues and muscles which can aid in pain relief, muscle recovery and enhanced athletic performance
Celliant technology on the Sleep Revolution 12" sport memory foam mattress with celliant sleep technology lasts the lifetime of the material
Will not wash out or breakdown
Active Response Foam layering system features 4" gel-infused memory foam with 2" Quick Response foam for resiliency
A 5.5" Comfort Curve HD foam base layer on the sports gel memory foam mattress provides support and promotes airflow
Memory foam is infused with Green Tea extract, Charcoal and Natural Seed Oil which minimizes the growth of bacteria and works to eliminate chemical odor in a natural way
All foam in the 12" memory foam mattress is CertiPUR-US certified
Bed foam mattress fits under standard fitted or deep pocket sheets if your mattress is 14" or higher
Patented compression technology allows for convenient delivery to your home or site to store
Please allow 24-48 hours for the Sleep Revolution 12" sport memory foam mattress with celliant sleep technology to fully expand to its original size and shape

the 5th Mattress is The 12" Black Label memory foam mattress by Zinus offers customized support and exceptional comfort. The top layer of premium quality memory foam provides conforming comfort and significantly reduces pressure points to ensure a comfortable night’s sleep. Two base layers of high-density support foam provide the perfect amount of support. The foam in this mattress is CertiPUR-US certified and backed by our limited 10 year warranty. The Spa Sensations Memory Foam 12" Black Label Mattress is all you need for a great night’s sleep.

Spa Sensations Black Label 12" Memory Foam Mattress:
Soft knit jacquard smooth top cover
3" of memory foam plus 2" of comfort foam
2 layers of high density support foam base
Memory foam is infused with green tea, charcoal and natural seed oil which minimizes the use of petrol based chemical oils and works to eliminate odors
Foam is CertiPUR-US Certified for durability, performance and content
Our patented compression technology allows our mattresses to be compressed, rolled and shipped in a box via FedEx; please allow 48 hours for your mattress to expand fully after opening

Im sorry for all those choices. These were the best out of the bunch, based on your research for memory foams. Based on the information provided, which mattress should i go with?

Nurse 79

Hi Nurse79,

It would probably be a good idea to reread my comments in my first reply … particularly these ones …

[quote]There is more about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price or course and the options you have available after a purchase).

While I can’t speak to how a mattress will feel for someone else … outside of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress always depends on knowing the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you can find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase. [/quote]

[quote]Spa Sensations 12" Theratouch Memory Foam Mattress, Multiple Sizes:
3" of Theratouch premium memory foam plus 3" of ventilated Air-cool foam
6" of high-density support foam
Features a deluxe, velour cover
Our patented compression technology allows our mattresses to be compressed, rolled and shipped in a box via Fedex; please allow 48 hours for it to expand fully after opening
CertiPUR-US Certified for durability, performance and content
Limited 10-year warranty[/quote]

Unfortunately the specs you listed don’t contain any information about the quality/density of the materials so it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about the durability or useful life of the mattress. If you can find out the information here and post it on the forum I’d certainly be happy to let you know if I can see any obvious weak links in the mattress that would be a reason for caution in terms of the durability and useful life of the mattress.

i would be very cautious here though because Spa Sensations typically uses lower quality/density materials in their comfort layers (such as 3 lb memory foam) which would be a weak link in their mattresses. A forum search on Spa Sensations will bring up more information about them but in general I would avoid them along with the other Zinus brands as well.

[quote]Signature Sleep Gold Series CertiPUR-US 12" Memory Foam Mattress, Multiple sizes:
Unique basket weave design mattress cover
Soft cover is made of polyester
3.5" Memory Foam 2.5 lb, 9ILD
8.5" high density foam 1.5 lb, 20 ILD[/quote]

These are very low quality materials that certainly don’t come close to meeting the minimum quality/durability guidelines here and would be an obvious weak link in the mattress and I would definitely avoid this mattress as well.

[quote]Contura by Lane III 12" Memory Foam Mattress:
12" memory foam mattress
Premium high density open cell memory foam over a support base of engineered latex foam
Contura by Lane memory foam mattress density lb rating: 3 lbs
Deluxe rayon from bamboo stretch cover[/quote]

This is also missing most of the information that I would need to make any meaningful comments about the quality or durability of the materials in the mattress but if there is 2" or more of 3 lb memory foam in the upper layers of this mattress I would avoid it as well.

[quote]Sleep Revolution 12" Sport Memory Foam Mattress:
3-zone quilted top of this 12" memory foam mattress helps to eliminate pain in shoulders, hips and back
Exclusive fabric design on the Sleep Revolution Mattress
Cover features the patented Celliant fiber that converts natural body heat into infrared energy and reflects back into the body
The infrared energy that is reflected back promotes circulation and increases oxygen to tissues and muscles which can aid in pain relief, muscle recovery and enhanced athletic performance
Celliant technology on the Sleep Revolution 12" sport memory foam mattress with celliant sleep technology lasts the lifetime of the material
Will not wash out or breakdown
Active Response Foam layering system features 4" gel-infused memory foam with 2" Quick Response foam for resiliency
A 5.5" Comfort Curve HD foam base layer on the sports gel memory foam mattress provides support and promotes airflow
Memory foam is infused with Green Tea extract, Charcoal and Natural Seed Oil which minimizes the growth of bacteria and works to eliminate chemical odor in a natural way
All foam in the 12" memory foam mattress is CertiPUR-US certified[/quote]

This is another Zinus mattress and the description also doesn’t include any of the information I would need to make any meaningful comments about the quality and durability of the materials or the mattress as a whole but I would also avoid this mattress since it’s very likely that it would also include lower quality/density materials that would be a weak link in this mattress as well.

[quote]Spa Sensations Black Label 12" Memory Foam Mattress:
Soft knit jacquard smooth top cover
3" of memory foam plus 2" of comfort foam
2 layers of high density support foam base
Memory foam is infused with green tea, charcoal and natural seed oil which minimizes the use of petrol based chemical oils and works to eliminate odors
Foam is CertiPUR-US Certified for durability, performance and content
Our patented compression technology allows our mattresses to be compressed, rolled and shipped in a box via FedEx; please allow 48 hours for your mattress to expand fully after opening[/quote]

This is another Zinus mattress and I would also avoid this one unless you are able to confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would compromise the durability and useful life of this mattress as well.

I would avoid all of the mattresses you mentioned.

If you are considering online options then the tutorial also includes several links to lists that include the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types of mattresses (including memory foam) in a wide range of firmness levels and budgets as well that may also be well worth considering.

Phoenix

I really can’t say too much yet about Christeli but I just got one. The Briella. That is $1449 in. a king size. It has a pillow top that really feels good and the memory foam really does react to your body heat just like a tempurpedic does and I feel myself slowly sinking into a comfortable contour. And it’s made of good material. That said. I wish you luck, but mostly, do reasearch and try out some mattresses. :slight_smile:

Where did you purchase your Christeli mattress? I’m definitely going to look into the mattress you mentioned. Thank you for your response!

I went to christeli.com and ordered online. They’re committed to you getting a good nights rest!

Hi Nurse79,

I just realized when I was reviewing some of the previous posts in this topic that I missed your question about Christeli (it was posted while I was replying to the previous post you made).

Christeli makes a range of memory foam mattresses that are designed to be reasonable approximations of many of the Tempurpedic mattresses. They are among the better online memory foam manufacturers or retailers I’m aware of and are included in the memory foam list that is linked in the tutorial (in the optional online step) that I mentioned in a previous reply. They use good quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in their mattresses. A forum search on Christeli (you can just click the link) will also bring up many more comments and feedback about them.

If you prefer memory foam mattresses in general and/or if you have tested and confirmed that one of the Tempurpedic mattresses that they approximate is a good match for you in terms of PPP then they would certainly be one of the options available to you that would be well worth considering.

I would also keep in mind that while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on even if they are in a similar weight range or have similar sleeping positions (see post #13 here).

Phoenix

Just wanted to let you know that I purchased a Spa Sensation around 6 years ago and too saw the 5 star reviews. My husband and I took the cover it came with off the mattress to wash it and tine fiberglass particles fell out everywhere. We put the cover back on. Thank goodness we didn’t take it completely off. I loved this mattress until this happened. I’m afraid to sleep on it now and it was the most comfortable mattress I owned but afraid of the fiberglass particles from the cover .I feel like I’m itching everywhere. Very disappointed because I really loved the mattress except the cover and what it was made out of.