new mattress

Good afternoon. I have being reading a lot of information on your website and it has been extremely informative! My husband and I are getting rid of our sealy posturepedic after having it for 10 years, 5 of which we have been sleeping in a big hole on it.
We have come to the conclusion that we want a latex/foam mattress but am uncertain which would be the best for us. My husband is 6’6" and weighs 215 and sleeps on his side and back. I am short and 135 and I sleep on my stomach. We were looking at the Ultimate Dream aloe Alexis that has the 6 inch latex over the foam. We also looking at the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop which has the 3 inch latex over the foam. IM not sure if there are any other options out there that might be better for a guy that size and if it would be better for us to have a 3 inch latex or 6 inch latex over foam. Please help!

Misty

Hi mistydavi,

There is more about some of the differences between the Dreamfoam Eurotop and the Alexis in post #2 here and in post #2 here.

Both mattresses use high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links that could compromise the durability and useful life of either mattress relative to your weight ranges. Your husband isn’t in a weight range that would “need” the additional layer of latex but if’s certainly possible that he may prefer it because with his higher weight he would sink into the mattress more deeply and would probably “feel” more of the second latex layer than you would.

The only way to know which one either one of you would prefer for certain would be based on your own personal experience but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

While I can’t speak to how a mattress will “feel” for someone else … assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article).

You are certainly looking at two great quality/value choices but if you want to include other options in your research as well then the mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to several lists of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) including link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online and many of them sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that may also be well worth considering.

If you are interested in including local choices in your research then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix! I will take a look at the list that is provided on this site and do a little more research. I live in northwest Arkansas. There is not much here that I’m aware of but if you know of a great place I would love to know! The zip code is 72712.

Misty

Hi mistydavi,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Springdale/Fayetteville/Rogers areas (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix