New member and soon, new mattress & opinions wanted

Hello all,

This is my first post I first want to extend my thanks to Phoenix for providing such a wonderful resource in this site and it’s forum. I’ve learned more by reading articles, reviews, and excellent forum content than I could have ever imagined. Forgive me if this post gets long-winded, but I’d like to illustrate firstly, why a website like this is so valuable and secondly, I’ll explain where I’m at in my decision to make a purchase. I welcome feedback on all counts.

Q: History - Why Is a Site Like this So Important and Valuable? A: Let me tell you why!

About ten to twelve years ago, when Tempur Pedic and a handful of others were the big players in the game, there was virtually no information online about the nuts & bolts of what makes a good memory foam bed - certainly nothing even remotely close to this site and others like Sleep Like the Dead. About the most information available was some snazzy insider terms on cheap websites that gave you buzzwords like “ILD” and “5 pound foam bed,” and certainly that no one made a memory foam bed like Tempur Pedic did. There were a LOT of crap “off brands” that were quasi-competing with the Big “S” companies, and I say “quasi-competing” because they were really just competing to separate your money from your wallet, but not coming anywhere near close to competing with the quality of product as Tempur Pedic was putting out. Well, I had an air chambered bed at the time by a now defunct company called Nautilus Sleep Systems that went out of business in 2005. It was the biggest piece of garbage I have ever slept on and I simply cannot believe I slept on it as long as I did, but I still lived at home and was pretty strapped for cash at the time. When I finally laid on a Tempur Pedic, I was sold from moment one, but the price just absolutely floored me. But I wanted a Tempur Pedic. BAD! Even back in the day, the price was way out of my league. So I immediately began searching for competitor “off-brands” that would fall within my budget. What that search turned up was almost every site in the known internet telling me that their bed was 'just like the Tempur Pedic." I searched and searched online, trying to wade my way through the sea of propaganda about how great this or that bed was, and finally I was bamfoozled a warehouse in South Florida called “The Memory Foam Outlet.” This guy talked the talk on beds. I spoke with him on the phone, and he made me feel very secure about the quality of his foam and that I’d be crazy to buy a Tempur Pedic, and that there was no difference in his bed and Tempur. So, I bought an 11" deep, king-sized bed from him, at $980, that included two free memory foam pillows. A week later, the bed shows up vacuum sealed. I excitedly open it and what appears? One huge 76x80 turd mattress that was absolutely, positively nothing like a Tempur Pedic bed. Also, there were no pillows in the shipment. I called this joker up and of course, no answer on the phone. I called for two weeks straight to no avail until finally, he answered. I gave him a piece of my mind and told him I wanted to return the mattress for a refund, which he wouldn’t give to me. I was stuck. It also took me over a month of calling him to get my pillows, which showed up and were discount single-size floss pillows that came off the discount bin at Wal-Mart. Utter garbage. I was so sick to my stomach I couldn’t relax for two weeks. I had been taken. The bed finally began to loosen up, but is an extremely firm memory foam top that doesn’t conform, it just bows around the body. I finally just gave up on calling him and kept the bed. I wanted a soft bed, one that cradled me, and this thing does nothing of the sort. All in all, it was just an okay bed, but okay was the best compliment I could give it. At the time, I was a back sleeper and it worked alright, but I knew I was screwed and just wasn’t going to get the Tempur Pedic experience I so wanted. Live and learn. But when I transitioned to side sleeping, the bed became awful - like sleeping on a sheet of plywood. I wake up every morning and my feet are sore and my toes tingle in pain. The one and only positive I’ll say about the bed is that it doesn’t sleep hot, at all. But I have to get rid of it and I finally want to right a 10 year old wrong.

So why do I write this story? To tell all you readers of this forum that what Phoenix has provided is simply marvelous, and it wasn’t around last time I was in the market for a bed. Not even close. He, and others on here, have provided a security net so that I don’t hang myself this time around (I hope) in purchasing my next mattress. It’s really invaluable, considering that purchasing a mattress is a rather blind experience if you don’t do your homework.

My next Mattress - and opinions

So I’ve read through the material on the website, and others, and have gone to the mattress store (which felt like a used car dealership experience) and laid on several different mattresses. I laid on a few of the Tempur Pedic line that felt great, then I laid on the Cloud Luxe and it was a show stopper. I asked the salesman to leave me be for a few minutes and the experience just got better. I absolutely am sold on the Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe. However, I wasn’t going to spend $4299 for the bed, and of course, the pressure tactic in the store was “well we have one on clearance that was returned and is in brand new condition for $3100, but you need to act fast because it won’t stay at that price for long.” Nice try, but no cigar. I walked out and continued my search.

I located some reputable mattress sellers on eBay and I was even willing to spend the money on one to finally get that authentic Tempur Pedic feel, until I came across this site and read about the Cool Luxe from Brooklyn Bedding. It looks like the real deal, but, there’s this persistent voice in the back of my head saying: “just get the Tempur Pedic, don’t screw around again. Didn’t you learn once? Is it going to take making the same mistake twice to teach you?” I’ll admit that everything looks REALLY excellent on the BB Cool Luxe, However, when in the mattress store, the salesman told me that “gel memory foam is all the rage right now, but it will never feel exactly like Tempur Pedic’s foam, I don’t care how much these guys out there making beds to compete with them want to tell you it will. Tempur Pedic will never use gel in their mattress tops because they say that there’s no way they can honor a 25 year warranty using gel material in their tops that accelerate the breakdown of the foam. Also, the addition of gel will not give that same “hugging feeling” that the Tempur foam will. It just won’t. There’s many good memory foam makers out there, but they simply don’t have the same research, material and innovation as Tempur Pedic.”

Now I realize that’s a sales pitch, and a good one, because it can work on gullible suckers like me coming off a real bad experience trying to chase the rabbit of getting a Tempur Pedic experience from a non Tempur Pedic mattress. Truth be told, I really don’t know if what he said was right or wrong. I’m willing to entertain the Cool Luxe, but I really want it to be exactly like the Cloud Luxe if I pull the trigger to buy it. I laid on a Serta iComfort at the retail store and it wasn’t even close to the Cloud Luxe. Not even in the same ball park, and it had a gel memory foam top. If that’s the same feeling I’m going to get out of the Cool Luxe, then I’ll scrape together the money and just buy the Tempur Pedic.

But I’m willing to listen to anyone who wishes to opine on my dilemma. I really want this purchase to go well, because I’m willing to unload a chunk of money to get the bed I should have gotten a decade ago.

I looked at the Ultimate Dreams 13" Gel Memory foam, and while the ratings were great, I saw too much of the “it’s firmer than the Cloud Luxe” and that’s a deal-breaker for me. I also don’t like that I can’t return it, but I can return the Cool Luxe if I don’t like it. The Cool Luxe looks like a much more well put-together bed than the UD bed, and it says it compares perfectly with the Cloud Luxe. I hope so.

I’m going to keep searching the forums looking for real reviews on the Cool Luxe bed.

All in all, thanks a million once again for providing such a great resource. I’ll post my entire experience on here once I finally buy my mattress, in the hopes that it’ll help someone down the road secure a good purchase and not make my same mistakes in the past.

All my best,

Justin

Justo,

You should look at the Select Foam Cirrus Luxe. They engineered it to be exactly like the TP Cloud Luxe, with better foam. I have the mattress and love it. Cost less than half what a TP costs.

Hi Justo,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and write such a great post. Posts like yours put a huge smile on my face and a little glow in my heart, especially when I think back to the times that the forum first started and I would wait for days to have a post to answer :slight_smile:

The first part of your post stands alone and I certainly share the thoughts you expressed so I will comment on some of the questions and issues you raised in part 2.

I think the first post I would suggest reading is post #9 here about matching another mattress that you like. As you can see this is both an art and a science and there are several different ways that one mattress can match another (by feel, softness/support, quality of materials, or by design or a combination of some or all of these).

Post #12 here has a list of some of the better online memory foam sources I’m aware of and many of these are “matched” to the Tempurpedic or other major manufacturer lines in one or more ways. The “mattress matching” post will give you some insights that can help you ask better questions when you talk with them.

This is an interesting comment because the Tempurpedic Breeze mattresses use gel in the memory foam :slight_smile:

You can read a little more about Tempurpedic and some of my thoughts about them in post #2 here.

One thing he did say that is somewhat accurate is that different types of memory foam (even of the same quality/durability) can have a different “feel” and foam properties and some people may prefer one over another. There is more about some of the different properties of memory foam that are independent of quality in post #9 here.

Based on the comments I’ve seen both from the manufacturer and customers this would be close but a little firmer than the Cloud Luxe and in between the Luxe and the Select. The quality of the materials are also not as high (but of course the cost is also lower). There is also no return on this mattress unlike the Cool Luxe.

I think the key to your “dilemma” is to look at the sites in the memory foam list and then talk to the ones that compare their mattresses to Tempurpedic in various ways and then look at the return policies that back them up. This way you can use your own best judgement as well as the information you receive on your calls and have the backup and low risk of a good return policy if for some reason you don’t feel that the mattress is a close enough match after you have broken it in (which is usually about 30 days or so).

I’m not sure where you are in South Florida but if you are in the Miami / Ft Lauderdale area then some of the better options in your area I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here including one of the members of the site listed on the memory foam list that makes mattresses that are designed to “match” the Tempurpedic lineup in several ways and they also carry the Tempurpedic lineup in their showroom so you can test them side by side in real time. You could also call some of the other nearby choices and ask them if they make any mattresses that “match” the Tempurpedics as well.

You certainly have some good quality and value options but of course you have a specific target that is just as important to you as well :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback along the way … and thanks again for your great post.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix”]Hi cviz,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and write such a great post. Posts like yours put a huge smile on my face and a little glow in my heart, especially when I think back to the times that the forum first started and I would wait for days to have a post to answer :)[/quote]

I know you meant “Justso” and not cviz… :stuck_out_tongue:

Phoenix, I’m serious. I so appreciate what you’ve done here and what you’re doing. I hope to hang around these forums long after my purchase to help others as well, because from what I’ve seen in the retail mattress industry, these guys give car salesmen a run for their money. Both of them probably have a place in hell awaiting them. :evil:

Actually, maybe I’m being too rough on car salesmen because the last car I bought, the process was very simple with no “tactics” employed. But that was only because I had educated myself prior to ever going to the dealership and he saw that, therefore, we could skip all the courting and get right down to the nuptuals.

I read it. Very valuable information and insight.

Go figure. Makes me sick to my stomach. Either the salesman was a liar, or he was grossly uneducated about the product he was selling.

[quote=“Phoenix”]
I think the key to your “dilemma” is to look at the sites in the memory foam list and then talk to the ones that compare their mattresses to Tempurpedic in various ways and then look at the return policies that back them up. This way you can use your own best judgement as well as the information you receive on your calls and have the backup and low risk of a good return policy if for some reason you don’t feel that the mattress is a close enough match after you have broken it in (which is usually about 30 days or so).[/quote]

Yes, I intend to do this.

I’m in Central FL, but Miami isn’t that bad of a drive for me. I may very well do this.

[quote=“cviz”]Justo,

You should look at the Select Foam Cirrus Luxe. They engineered it to be exactly like the TP Cloud Luxe, with better foam. I have the mattress and love it. Cost less than half what a TP costs. [/quote]

Hey cviz,

Thanks for the reply and the help. Yes, I am heavily considering this bed, and since Select Foam is based in Miami, I could make a four hour drive down there to check them out before I purchase. The only downside to buying from them is I’d get nailed for FL sales tax. Maybe they could offset that with some pillows or something. Did they include pillows in your purchase?

Thanks all. Will keep everyone posted.

Hi Justco,

Oops … I did and I’ve changed the post :slight_smile:

Just in case you’re close to either of these … some of the better options I’m aware of in the Tampa, Clearwater, St Petersburg area are in post #143 here and some of the better options in the Orlando area are in post #2 here.

I’m not sure if any of these have memory foam mattresses that are specifically designed to approximate the Tempurpedic line or the Cloud Luxe so you may need to call them and then test them in person for PPP as well as find out the density of the materials so you can assure yourself that any of them that have a similar feel or performance also use the same or better quality materials as the Cloud Luxe.

Phoenix

Justo,

No pillows, but I’ll say this, everything is negotiable. Happy Shopping.

[quote=“cviz” post=22295]Justo,

No pillows, but I’ll say this, everything is negotiable. Happy Shopping.[/quote]

cviz,

Thanks for the reply. I intend to call Select Foam tomorrow and have a chat. I’ve read to the point of almost insanity here and everywhere and I’ve narrowed my choices down. Also - how is the side support on the bed? This isn’t a real issue for me, more of a curiousity question because the bed I have right now has little side support. I was just curious in Select Foam’s “reverse engineering” of the Cloud Luxe if they incorporated any measurable side support on the mattress.

The side support is quite good. It does not compress when lying on the mattress. Sitting on the edge of the bed,like with the Tempurpedic the side compresses. Overall no concerns. I just purchased a 100% shredded latex pillow over the weekend at a local store, has made my sleep even more enjoyable.

Wow am I impressed.

I spoke with Peter on the phone for a good while this morning, and I have to say, I’m blown away with how responsive and interested he was not in selling me a mattress before anything else, but listening and explaining to me the different features of the different beds and what those advantages/disadvantages would be for me individually. Peter is very proud of his product, and what was impressive, was that he did not bash Tempur Pedic or say no one else made good mattresses. He admitted to me that they make a great product - albeit overpriced and no longer the industry leader in technological innovation and explained to me why his product was superior. It’s strange to hear an American be so proud of his product and stand behind it 100%. He was very courteous, explained to me what their foam layers are, how they’re assembled and what makes each bed distinct.

I was really torn between the Regalis and the Cirrus. After listening to my size and current complaints, he said the best bed for me would be the Cirrus Luxe ES. He said the Regalis is a firmer bed and for a guy my size and build, I’d really reap the advantage of the composition of the bed.

He offered a great price too and Mattress Underground was greatly thanked for my phone call to him. So I’m going to pull the trigger this afternoon.

I’m sorry for those who have seemingly had bad experiences with Select Foam’s customer service, but thus far, that has not been my experience at all. Peter was in no way pressuring me to buy ANYTHING. That impressed me, because in a high pressure industry, it’s hard to find that. He gave me his direct number and told me if I had ANY questions, he’d be happy to answer them.

If it weren’t for this site and Phoenix, I think I’d have made a big mistake. I will keep all posted with the actual ordering process and will post a very detailed review when I receive it and my thoughts over time for this bed.

That’s the least I can give back to this site.

So, thanks to Phoenix, Cviz and this wonderful site, I placed the order for my Select Foam Cirrus Luxe ES-13 this evening. Peter was the one who helped me out and was more than generous with my order. I got nailed for FL sales tax, but he made it worth my while. A tertiary benefit of this order was helping out a fellow Floridian. I’m big into the buy local movement, and this was icing on the cake.

I can’t wait. I’m hoping with the purchase of this bed, after all the reading & tireless research I’ve done that I right a decade old wrong. I’m hoping to finally get the bed I wanted 10 years ago.

All I can say is thus far, Select Foam has been a dream to deal with. Like I said above, I’ll post the entire experience in a thread to come, with pictures, for those in the future who need a reference and review of Select Foam and their Cirrus Luxe ES-13.

Interesting note too: I asked Peter about a mattress protector and he said that they do not recommend them for first time sleepers on their mattresses because it will inhibit the reaction of the foam against the body. He said some manufacturers are real picky about making you use one over the mattress cover or it voiding their warranty on the cover. He said Select Foam is not worried about it - that not using one doesn’t void their warranty. If something happens to the cover, they’ll take care of it. He said that after I’ve spent a few months on the mattress, if I am wanting something to protect the mattress cover, then buy a cover that has a single layer of fabric and not a thick terry cloth style, and see how it feels. Most likely there will be a reduction in performance to some degree and most folks end up ditching it.

Very excited. :woohoo:

Justso,

Congratulations, I’m sure you’ll enjoy the bed as much as I do. I have a mattress protector on mine, and I haven’t felt a difference; but to each his own.

Hi Justo,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with Select Foam and it’s always great to see a member here receiving such good service and help from a manufacturer. It’s a breath of fresh air compared to most of the mainstream mattress world.

I can tell you’re more than a little excited and of course I’m looking forward to your updates when you receive it and have a chance to share your feedback (and of course pictures as well).

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress … I think you made a great choice :slight_smile:

Phoenix