New Member Comparing Mattresses

Hello,

I am currently in the market for a new mattress and have spent some time perusing these forums. I am considering a Japanese style platform bed for the base and found one I liked from the base topic here. There are a lot of options for mattresses and I have two I am looking at with different price ranges. Both are online dealers who are members of this site.

The first and more expensive option is the Regalis HD 12 from Select Foam:
http://www.selectfoam.com/cat-regalis-coolmax.html

I like medium-firm beds and cooler beds so this one looked good to me. It was also their top-selling bed so I figured it was a good value for what I get.

I was previously looking at a much cheaper option which is the Sundance 10 at Rocky Mountain Mattress:
http://www.rockymountainmattress.com/memory-foam-mattresses/the-sundance-10/

I am mostly considering that mattress due to the fact that it is a free upgrade option right now. It’s also about half the cost of the Regalis HD 12 but I don’t really know how to tell the difference from the materials. I believe I would be happy with either mattress but I am curious on what the extra price buys. I am open to other options as well and live in Seattle, WA.

Any help and feedback is appreciated.
George

Hi Musashidin,

You are certainly looking at two good quality and value choices and neither of them have any weak links.

Post #2 here has more about making final choices when you have eliminated your worst options and are down to choosing between “good and good”.

One of the main differences between higher cost and lower cost mattresses is the differences in the cost of the materials and lower density materials or lower cost types of materials are generally found in mattresses that have lower prices. While both are good quality/value for their price ranges … the Regalis (and some of the other Rocky Mountain mattresses as well) use higher quality more costly materials than the Sundance. For example 5 lb memory foam is more durable and more costly than 4 lb memory foam and memory foam itself is more costly than polyfoam (more memory foam in a mattress raises the cost). Higher density polyfoam is also generally more costly than lower density polyfoam. Some covers are also more costly than others and this can play a role (sometimes significant) as well. I would treat both of these overall though as being “good value”.

Some of the things I would be looking at when you are comparing mattresses that are sold online is …

• Your confidence that a mattress will meet your needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). This would depend on whether you have tested any mattresses that are similar locally or on more detailed conversations with each manufacturer so you can have reasonable confidence that a mattress you purchase will be “in the range” of your needs and preferences. No matter what the quality or value of a mattress it would have little value to you if it wasn’t a suitable “fit” for your needs and preferences.

• The options you have available and the cost involved if the choice you make is less than ideal and needs to be exchanged or returned.

It’s usually a good idea to make sure you have have tested mattresses locally so you have some familiarity with similar mattresses that use similar materials. Sometimes an online manufacturer can also suggest local mattresses that may be similar to what you are considering purchasing so you can use them as a reference point. If you haven’t done any local testing then some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Seattle area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the help Phoenix. I’ll take a look at some of the local options before making a decision.

Have a good evening.
George