New Pure Latex Bliss

I was at a local furniture and bedding store and found new PLB models. According to the sales person this is a new formulation that I thought he said adds carbon to the latex allowing a lower ILD 32 instead of the 36 while still maintaining similar support, i didn’t quite pay enough attention to what he was saying so my details may be a bit off. The model names were “Etoile Pelushe” and “St Honore Pelushe”. They were quite expensive $6500 and $7500 for king size. Im unable to find anything about these models and the new latex foam on the PLB website, Anyone have any information?

He also showed me a closeout model “the worlds best bed” which he said was the previous top of the line. Closeout price was $3500 for just the mattress, 4k for both in king which appears to be a great price compared to various web dealers.

In testing the beds i found them all to be quite comfortable with the Etoile being very similar (slightly softer) to the worlds best and the new top of the line St honore being even softer with very little typical latex push back. Im a large man at 6’ and 300 lbs and was shocked at how comfortable i was and still felt i was getting great support even though the bed felt so soft. At my size am i crazy to try a latex mattress on the softer side? I have had a long history of failed beds from temper-pedic (2 styles) select comfort, comfortaire, various traditional spring mattress with memory foam layers etc…

any thoughts, insights or opinions would be greatly appreciated on the PLB above or others i should seriously consider

thanks

peter

Hi peteza,

I haven’t had the chance to try them out personally yet or talk with Latex International in detail about their graphite infused latex so my comments are more of a general nature and some of the “theory” behind it rather than from personal experience.

Graphite is a “semi metal” and heat conductive so it would improve the temperature regulation of the latex. It’s also very strong and a graphite reinforced polymer such as latex can improve the properties and strength of the raw material it’s added to and also affect the compression modulus of the foam so it would allow for softer latex that still had the ability to “firm up” and be more supportive and more durable. Of course it would also add to the cost of the latex.

The new PLB Prestige line also includes quilted talalay latex which gives a softer surface feel.

The softest model in the Previous lineup was the Worlds Best Bed which PLB rated as a 10 on their softness scale (with 10 being the softest) and the Prestige line varies from 7 to 10 with the Saint Honore Extra Plush being a 10.

They would have a somewhat different “feel” from the PLB natural lineup (which you felt as being softer) because of the different design and the different type of Talalay latex even though they are rated as having the same softness level.

I would also expect the graphite infused latex to be a very durable material so there would be no weak links in a mattress that used it in terms of durability.

Of course the “value” of these mattresses would depend on whether they were a significant enough improvement over other latex mattresses in terms of PPP to justify the additional cost compared to other types of Talalay latex or latex mattress designs and this would be up to each person to decide based on their personal value equation. IMO … as with any premium mattress … there would need to be a significant improvement compared to other talalay latex mattresses or other mattresses as a whole that were in lower price ranges that I could “feel” to justify the premium price and I would make sure you tested them as carefully and objectively as possible to make sure that real world performance was the basis for your choice instead of marketing or theory.

$3500 for the Worlds Best Bed would be less than PLB’s MAP pricing (minimum advertised price) and would be a “fair” cost for a 12" king size latex mattress. You will find other Talalay latex mattresses in a similar thickness that were both more and a fair bit less but of course only your own personal testing or personal experience would be able to tell you whether they were a better or worse “match” in terms of PPP. I would be somewhat cautious with very soft latex mattresses (or any style of mattress) which for some people may be too soft for good alignment, particulary if they are back or stomach sleepers or as in your case heavier body types. Post #32 here also has some sources for PLB mattresses that will ship across the country that you can call and talk to about their pricing and use as a “value reference”.

The tutorial post here has the basic information, steps, and guidelines I would suggest using when you are looking for a new mattress and can help you make the most suitable choices … and know how to avoid the worst ones. I would also be cautious about testing a mattress based only on “showroom feel” or “subjective comfort” which may have lower odds of success than random chance alone (see this study) and I would encourage you to test a mattress as carefully and objectively as possible using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post.

Post #3 here also has more information and links that may be useful for those in higher weight ranges.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area. The tutorial post also has a link to some of the members here that sell latex mattresses online with a wide range of prices, styles, and options that may also be worth considering or that you could also use as a “value reference”.

Phoenix

Thanks phoenix, my zip code is 55345 and i will study your reference links above to gain more insight in finding the right selection

peter

Hi peteza,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Minneapolis / St Paul area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

thanks for the help phoenix, removing price as a criteria and opening the options to the internet or local retailer, what would you say are the top five quality all latex beds?

PLB?
Flobeds?
Sleep EZ?
Reverie? (they told me i could buy just the mattress as i already have an adjustable base)

Hi peteza,

I don’t have a “top 5” or even a “top 100” because what is best for each person is unique and different and depends on their personal preferences and the criteria of their personal value equation that are most important to them (see post #2 here and post #2 here). Each person may have a very different “top 5” and my goal is to help each person eliminate the worst options and help with “how” to choose rather than “what” to choose. It would be like trying to list the top 5 foods for someone else.

I don’t know all the specifics of all the Reverie materials in their mattresses but assuming you can find out the specifics of their mattress and there are no obvious weak links you would be making a final choice between “good and good” (see post #2 here) which means that your own best judgement and individual criteria would be the best way to decide which one is best for you.

NOTE ADDED: They have since provided the specs of all of their mattresses (see post #6 here) and they have also become a member of the site as well.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks, i have read all of the pother posts and they are very helpful. I guess another way of asking the question may be is there other internet suppliers of full latex beds (other than reverie, flo beds, sleep ez and brooklyn beds) that meet the following criteria.

Highest quality materials available
Full return policy for sleep trial 90-120 days
Customizable inner layers and exchange program.

Im focusing on a getting a mattress that i can tailor since i wont be able to test them in store and i have had trouble getting the alignment correct in past mattresses.

Your knowledge and opinions are greatly appreciated

Peter

Hi peteza,

There is a list of some of the better online options I’m aware of that are members of the site in post #21 here (including all of the manufacturers you mentioned) that are among the better options I’m aware of and many of them make customizable latex mattresses with individual layers or components that can be exchanged. A few others are also in [url=https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/manufacturers-do-it-yourself-online]post #3 here[/url]. I don’t know the length or details of each of their return policies or the options they each have available off the top of my head but you could check their websites to quickly find out. They each make different designs and have different features that include customizable or exchangeable comfort layers, support layers, or both as well as offering different types of latex in their mattresses. Post #6 here has more information about the relative “quality” of different types of latex. They all have more details on their site.

There are of course others as well of the same general type (too many to look for and list and I don’t have a database that I can search by specific criteria other than the forum lists) but if you are looking at any others and would like some thoughts or feedback about them then I’d be happy to make some comments about them. A forum search with the name of the manufacturer will usually bring up more information about any others as well.

Phoenix

I’d like to know where you can find the World’s best bed for $3500! On PLB website it’s $6200 for a Queen (and I have KING). My Vitality was $2550, in line with the price on the website ($2600 King). You may live in a “mattress Mecca” where there’s lots of competition, but I don’t see prices in Atlanta that are anywhere NEAR that price range! The “beautiful” is $4200 Queen. :ohmy:

Hi dmartin,

The price was a closeout price which may have been significantly less than usual for the PLB WBB (and less than they would be allowed to advertise because PLB has MAP or “minimum advertised pricing”) but if you are considering a PLB mattress then it would be worthwhile talking to some of the retailers in post #32 here who all ship PLB mattresses across the country and would be a worthwhile “value comparison”.

Phoenix