New sealy memory foam mattress and mattress protector problems

So we just purchased a sealy optimum inspiration gold about 2 weeks ago. We also went with a serta adjustable base. We have never owned a memory foam mattress in the past but fell in love with the sealy in the store. While we was waiting on the mattress to arrive I ordered a Luna mattress protector from Amazon. For the past 10-12 days the mattress has felt very hard with no sinking in feeling that comes with a memory foam mattress. Also even though it is winter and our bedroom is kept in the 67-69 degree range we have sweat profusely with just a sheet and down comforter on the bed. I know the bed takes some time to get broken in and that was explained but my wife and I have both experienced lower back pain. So I started researching on this forum and other places online and have come to find out that most gel memory foam mattress react to body heat to work well. So last night I took the luna protector off and it seemed to make a huge difference both in feel and heat.

My question is what good is a memory foam mattress if a thin protector is going to change the whole feel of the bed? Right after taking it off I could tell instantly this was the bed we laid on in the store. How can I combat this and still protect our huge investment? Being 100% waterproof is not needed for our situation imo. You would think these mattress companies would build into these already outrageous prices a protector that meets their standards and does not interfere with the mattress.

Thanks for your help!

Hi koko1,

It’s possible that the temperature in the store was higher than the temperature in your bedroom which could also affect the firmness of the memory foam in your mattress.

The mattress in the store was probably already broken in as well so it’s also possible that your mattress will soften over the first few weeks and feel more like the mattress in the store over time.

There are also some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful.

It’s also not unusual that some people will sleep warmer with memory foam (or gel memory foam) … especially with mattress protectors that have “semi breathable” membranes that can reduce ventilation and airflow so while they would generally be fine for the majority of people … there are some people where this type of protector in combination with some of the other factors that can affect sleeping temperature would be enough to put them “over the edge”. There is more about tracking down sleeping temperature issues in post #2 here.

There is also more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here but if waterproof or water resistant isn’t an issue for you then a stretch knit cotton protector would be an option that would have very little effect on your mattress.

Phoenix