New Tempur-Flex

First, I have to say “thank you” to those that manage this site. Your honesty is refreshing and your knowledge is impressive, to say the least. I’m so so grateful to have found you!
Second, aside from the $$$ price tag, I’m wondering what you know about the new Temper-Flex Elite. My husband has developed a crush on this bed, and I’m looking for specifics, which seem to be hard to find. There are coils, but I’d like to know more in terms of numbers and gauge. There is a material mentioned, the Tempur ES, and our sales representative believes that this is more of a latex material versus memory foam.
I browsed the Tempurpedic page, and someone asked a question about coils. Their response was that it was twice the number of the leading manufacturers. Not very helpful.
Thank you!!
Amy

Hi AmyPink,

Unfortunately Tempurpedic isn’t transparent about the specifics of the materials and components in their mattresses and rely instead on “advertising” and “marketing stories” to create the impression that their mattresses are “unique” just because they are a Tempurpedic when in reality they use similar materials and components to other manufacturers.

The Tempur-ES material would be their 4 lb memory foam.

They don’t disclose the specifics of their Tempur-Response material but it’s most likely a high performance polyfoam that has been formulated and manufactured to have some of the properties of other types of specialty foams such as memory foam or latex. In this case it would have some of the higher resilience and faster response that would be more typical of latex than memory foam. There is more about these newer types of high performance polyfoam materials in post #2 here.

Finally the “Dynamic Support Layer” is a narrow diameter pocket coil. They don’t say this or use the term “pocket coil” because they don’t want to be seen as being similar to other pocket coil mattresses. They also don’t disclose any specifics of their springs or mention the reference point they are using when they say “twice as many” coils although the coil count by itself is only one of many factors that can affect the feel and performance of an innerspring and by itself is relatively unimportant relative to the overall feel and performance of the mattress. The bottom support core of a mattress also wouldn’t normally be the weak link of a mattress in terms of durability regardless of the coil count. There is more about the different types of innersprings in this article and in post #10 here.

As you probably know from your reading here and guidelines such as here … I normally wouldn’t consider a Tempurpedic or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the specifics of the materials and components in the mattress (in the upper layers especially) and I would make some very careful “value” comparisons with other mattresses that use the same or higher quality materials that are available in lower budget ranges.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

Phoenix

Thank you!

While shopping, I told my husband what you mentioned in your reply and posted tutorials - why the need to be vague? It you can’t tell me what I’m paying for than I’m not interested.

We were shopping for latex and he got distracted. Easy to do when this bed is raised and centered! :slight_smile:

Thank you, Phoenix.

Amy