New to smart mattress shopping

Hello all, I’ve been researching mattresses for the last couple days, and coming to this site reading through FAQ’s and posts for guidance. Honestly I’m still pretty overwhelmed. I live near a Jamestown Mattress which seems to be the best recommendation for a B&M mattress store in my area. My wife and I aren’t real keen on buying something “sight unseen” and Jamestown seems to have enough positive recommendations to feel comfortable buying from there without doing a lot of shopping elsewhere. We did walk into a couple chains and didn’t like the feeling we got from one, genuinely liked the vibe we got from the other store, but they only sell one of the three “S’s”, which is generally advised against here I see.

I am about 6’ 180lb, my wife ~5’3" 140lb, she’s a side sleeper; I’m stomach and side-sleeper. We have a couple young kids that are in and out in our bed with us (don’t judge) at night, which is the main reason we are mattress shopping right now. We’ve currently got a queen-sized, and moving up to a king. Our current mattress is a 5-year old Serta $900 eurotop “hotel” bed whatever that means. We are generally happy with it, but don’t really know anything else, never had the benefit of sleeping on a higher-end bed.

Anyway, we are looking for a king-sized bed, something hopefully in the sub $1,500 range (mattress+foundation/boxspring) but are also hoping for Latex. I was in the store and the cheapest latex mattress they sell is the Majestic Dream for ~$1,800 with boxspring/foundation, pre-tax. Their website seems to be down and the sales guy ran out of brochures for this particular mattress, but looking through the site here I found the following specs in post #3:
https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/need-help-asap-re-lotus-mattress

The store manager did say that the top is 3" of Dunlop D95 and have ind. Pocketed coils. (ind = independent or individual? I don’t recall).

My questions are the following:

1. Does this seem like a good value?
  2. Since they build each mattress to order, is there anything in its construction that I can replace to save a couple hundred bucks without losing a substantial amount of integrity?
  3. Is there anything else I should know? I assume going in, it’s all about “comfort” from here on out. Since it’s a Jamestown, we are confident that it is good construction quality for longevity purposes, and spinal alignment, correct?

Thanks!

Got the official specs straight from the manufacturer:

Bottom to Top:

1.7 lb. 60 ILD 2" piece of base polyurethane foam
1.7 lb. 60 ILD 6" rails of polyurethane foam
** Glued together to make the polyurethane foam encasement
Leggett & Platt’s Body Print® spring unit. pocketed coil spring unit http://www.lpbodyprint.com/
2.0 ounce insulator pad is stapled on each side of the spring unit
1.8 ounce thick polyester pad
1.5 lb. 15 ILD 1" piece of polyurethane foam
Inner Panel
D85 Medium 2" piece of 100% Natural Latex - Sri Lanka natural latex mattress, Sri Lanka natural latex mattress manufacturers, Sri Lanka natural latex mattress suppliers and companies
Quilted Circular Stretch Knit Panel – 1.8 lb. 20 ILD 1 ½" polyurethane foam w/ .8 ounce Paladin® Fire Barrier

Hi jaydee,

The specs certainly seem reasonable to me.

The foam surround is higher density and firmness which is a good thing because there is less chance of it getting softer than the innerspring.

the body print coils are independent pocket coils which means thay adapt more easily to your body shape and isolate motion better than other types of innerspring.

The lowest quality foam in the mattress is the 1.5 lb polyfoam which could be a weak link if it was higher up in the mattress but it is under the latex and the polyfoam quilting which would shield it from much of the compression so this would increase its durability. the latex is a very high quality material and the 1.5" of 1.8 lb polyfoam in the quilting is also higher quality than you would usually find in a mainstream mattress and not thick enough to make a significant difference if it softens somewhat. The Paladin fire barrier is an inherent type of fire barrier and the stretch knit ticking also will allow the feeling of the comfort layers to come through.

Overall this would probably be one of the better value mattresses available locally especially considering it is king size and includes a foundation/boxspring (not specified which).

I wouldn’t no. There is already enough polyfoam in the mattress but it is in the “right” places to save some cost without sacrificing the durability and integrity of the mattress IMO.

Yes it would be above average durability but only you can decide if it “fits” for PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences). Alignment depends on how well the mattress keeps your spine in alignment in all your sleeping positions and has to do with how well the design works for you and has nothing to do with the quality of the materials or construction.

Being a stomach sleeper … I would particularly make sure you test the mattress for alignment on your stomach to make sure that you are not sleeping in a “swayback” position which can be risky in terms of lower back issues. It’s also a good idea for stomach sleepers to sleep with a pillow under their pelvis/abdomen area to help prevent this.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, I placed the order last night on the Majestic Dream as is, with the D85 top. I have 30-days to opt for a different top if we think we want to go a little softer or firmer.

One more question, what is the general recommendations on pillows? Should I also go with latex? I’ve tried memory foam before with a pillow and hated it, would memory gel be much different?

Thanks!

Hi jaydee,

Personal preferences plays an even bigger role with pillows than it does with mattresses. There are some basic pillow needs based on sleeping positions and body type but beyond that everything depends on what you like best. The pillow thread here has lots more information, links, and “pillow talk” :slight_smile:

Phoenix