"New Topic" vs. "Ask an Expert" Guidelines...Where Should I Post My Question?

Hong,

The three brands you mentioned have a wide range of products with very different feels and levels of support. I wouldn’t feel confident in recommending any of them for your specific needs without you first trying them out to see which you find comfortable. If you do that and come back with some additional details on their construction I’d feel better about making a recommendation for you. What about the Rug Mattress and Furniture Store you previously identified near Roanoke, could you make it there to check out their firm latex mattress to get a feel for it?

Good luck with your search!

• Bill

Hi Bill,
That’s a good point, I’ll try out the firm latex mattress at the Rug and Mattress Furniture Store to get a feel for it.

So out of the three mattresses I mentioned, I thought they were specific mattresses, not entire lines. I’ve slept on a Beautyrest Platinum Haven Pines Extra Firm mattress. I laid on it and instantly felt 110% at ease. I’m not sure about the other two (Tempur-breeze, and Serta iComfort).

I have never tried a firm latex mattress before, but in the event I don’t like the feel, I was hoping you or Phoenix had a suggestion as to which mattress has had more positive feedback on TMU. Phoenix, please feel free to chime in as well if you have any thoughts!

Thank you both for everything!

Best,
Hong

Hong,

I believe that both the TP and Serta iComfort would have a more typical memory foam feel than the Beautyrest Platinum that you tried and liked. That means they’d both have more of that molding and sinking in type feel where you sleep deeper into the mattress rather than on top of it. They’d likely sleep hotter as well since when you sink into a mattress further you’re more surrounded by the memory foam with less air flow around your body for cooling. It will be interesting to see what your thoughts are on the feel of the firm latex mattress once you try it since you could likely get something similar from several Trusted Members of TMU.

Good luck on your continued mission,

• Bill

Hi Bill and Phoenix,

I tried the firm latex mattress and it didn’t feel too good. I laid down on it for 5 minutes, but when I got up, I experienced back pain. It was pretty instant. I think it was because I still sank into the mattress.
What I discovered the best mattress was one that was more of a flat, hard top. I tried four mattress places in Roanoke, but none had Beautyrest Platinum extra firms. The last one, Mattress Firm, had a Beautyrest Pressuresmart Lux Extra Firm. I compared that with a Tempurpedic Proadapt Extra Firm and the difference was pretty noticeable. After laying on the Tempurpedic for 5 min, I actually felt the same kind of pain as the firm latex mattress from the Rug and Furniture store; unsurprisingly it felt like I sank into the mattress, like you said. However when I laid on the Pressuresmart also for 5 min, the pain went away.

I think I will purchase the Pressuresmart because that feeling was very similar to the Beautyrest I laid on a while ago. It was firm, kinda like the floor. What do you think?

Thank you,
Hong

Hi Hong,

Glad you were able to experience several mattresses for yourself. As you found that’s a very effective way of selecting a mattress that suits your needs and preferences which I couldn’t predict from afar with any degree of confidence. I believe the PressureSmart line from Beautyrest is made exclusively for MF and there isn’t much detail provided about the density of the comfort materials used. You can’t always trust user reviews (particularly positive ones) but looking over the reviews on the MF site there are many negative ones complaining about the mattress lacking durability and forming dips relatively soon. I’d suggest looking into it further and check out the specifics of the warranty and return policies of MF to ensure that if you encounter any similar problems you’d be able to return or exchange it. No one can dispute your own experience on the mattress, I’m only questioning its durability as you wouldn’t want to end up having to buy another mattress sooner than expected.

Regards,

• Bill

Hong,

I think MF has some promotions with the purchase of the BR PressureSmart mattresses at certain prices that include a free adjustable base or possibly other bedding accessories. Be sure to ask about that if you decide to make the purchase or I’m not sure they would include them by default. If you don’t have any desire for the adjustable base you can probably get them to lower the price of the mattress by excluding the base.

• Bill

Hi Bill,
I purchased the BR Pressuresmart Lux XFirm for 1520 (original price 1800). I opted for a metal platform base instead; I think it fits my needs. The mattress has a 10-year warranty that covers dips/sags greater than 1.5 in. There is a 120 day trial during which I can opt to exchange or have a full refund (minus some fees).
This was the lowest price I could ask of them, and I asked multiple times multiple ways haha. The only downside is that it has to come from a warehouse a bit aways and the earliest they can deliver and I can pick up is August 15. If you have any other input, please let me know.

Otherwise, I want to thank you for your help. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to give me advice.

Best,
Hong

Hi Hong,

Good luck with your new mattress, I hope you find that it meets your needs. Enjoy it in the best of health.

Regards,

• Bill