New topper for a dock1 one bed

Hello, I have been reading this forum for a couple of days trying to find the answer for this question. In reading I have discovered that dock1 has gone out of business. So, I have a dock1 one bed that I have owned for about 2 years and have been very happy with, but me and my husband would like to get a softer topper to go in the top of the mattress. It has a latex topper that is very firm. Any ideas? Could we remove the topper and replace with any 3 inch queen size topper? Or are we stuck with this one until we buy a new bed?

Hi sbulla,

The advantage of their design was that you could do exactly what you are suggesting and just replace the top layer with a new one. So yes … you can just remove your current latex layer and replace it with any 3" queen size layer in either softer latex, memory foam in various densities, or anything else that you would prefer.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for your kind reply. We are looking for something that is plush and cushiony. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Hi sbulla,

Each person has a very different sense of what “plush and cushiony” means to them and it will also depend on height/weight and sleeping position differences (firmer foams will feel softer to heavier people than lighter people).

The choice between memory foam and latex is also a personal preference based on whether someone prefers slow response or faster response materials or some of the other differences between one over the other (such as sleeping temperature).

In general though … “plush and cushiony” would be in the range of 19 - 24 ILD for most people with some people going even softer down to 14 ILD (which isn’t really recommended unless you are very light because it will be less durable and could also be too soft). It will also depend a lot on the other layers of the mattress because every layer affects the feel and performance of every other layer in the mattress so the same topper will feel different with different layers underneath it. They also have 2" and 3" toppers that are in the range of 14 - 15 ILD (again bearing in mind that how these will feel depends on what is under them).

The best way to get a general sense of which level of softness is best for you would be some personal testing on mattresses that use known firmness levels of latex in the comfort layers. One good option for example would be pure Latex Bliss which have various all latex models which use various thicknesses of 19 ILD Talalay latex on top (which may give you a sense of how different layer thicknesses and different firmness levels under the top layer may feel for you). You can find the nearest retailer by putting in your zip code on their site here. Other local manufacturers or retailers may also offer latex mattresses with different layering that you could try to get a reference point for the firmness that you prefer.

Phoenix

Phoenix, thanks for your reply. I have learned a lot on this site. I contacted a company called plushbeds, inc. They said that they could adjust the density of their latex topper to a 55 density, and he thought that would help my problem of the bed being too firm. Do you know anything about this company? From what I have read on their website this looks like a good product.

Hi sbulla,

I’m assuming that you mean they would “sell” you a Dunlop topper that was 55 kg/M3 density (which would likely be a soft version of Dunlop latex)? I’m not sure what you meant by “they could adjust the density of their latex topper to a 55 density”.

Plushbeds does a lot of internet advertising so many people come across them. A forum search on Plushbeds (you can just click this) will bring up many references to them but in essence they sell good quality products but are not in the best “value” range for their products compared to many other options that are available. Some better value sources for latex toppers are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
It seems I need to do a lot more research. Thanks for all of your input, I didn’t realize there was so much involved in picking out a new mattress topper. My husband says to just buy one already, but I don’t want to waste a few hundred dollars on something that is not going to work any better for us than what we already have.

Well, I think I have narrowed down my search between two latex toppers, they are both talalay with a #19 ILD. One is from Dreamform bedding, the other from mattresses.net. Thank you for your recommendations Phoenix, you saved me about $200.00.

Hi sbulla,

You’re very welcome. Both of the choices you mentioned are very good options :slight_smile:

Phoenix