Newbie looking for advice on Hamuq Mattress

Firstly let me start out by saying I have been a log time lurker and would like to thank all those that post so much useful information. I think I have a case of analysis paralysis and need some advice.
Been looking at online mattress for a while now and thought I was sold on helix as I liked the option to personalize.
Then I came across Hamuq and are intrigued by their hybrid approach. Also they are a Canadian company out of Toronto where I live and would love to support a local company.
There is not much info on their website about the individual layers. I spent some time with the online chat and got the following info I would like to see what members here think about the construction.

ā€œThe mattress consists of 1ā€ quilted pillow top with 2 lbs comfort foam. 2" biofoam 2 lbs density. 1/2" of gel memory foam 3 lbs density. The base support system is individually wrapped 15 gauge Canadian steel pocket"

Thanks in advance for any advice and input.

Hi smcgaw,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Yes, Hamuq definitely plays up the Canadian aspect of things, and thereā€™s certainly nothing wrong with wanting to support you ā€œhome teamā€. Mattresses using pocketed springs and polyfoam on top are quite common and popular these days, both online and in-store.

This varies considerably from what I was given on their chat just a month ago (see here).

While mattress designers are always tweaking formulations, it is worrisome to me when different information is given out in such a short time from a newer company and there is nothing that validates this on their web site. If the information you were given was correct, youā€™d want to know the density and type of material in the pillowtop. The 2 lb density polyfoam would be a better quality material. The 3 lb of memory foam would be a low quality material, but at .5" wouldnā€™t be as troubling.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix,

I will see if I can get more information about the materials and report back when I do.
Between the info I was given and the info you received which would you consider the better mattress?

If you had to choose between Hamuq or Helix who do you think builds a better mattress with better materials?

Being from Canada the Hamuq king runs $1000 vs Helix at $1600. I do not mind spending more for a better quality product.

I completely understand that a mattress is a very personnel purchase as what I find soft others may find firm and vice a versa, hence all the reading I have done trying to understand the different components that go into a mattress.

Tried to find the info on the Helix from when I filled out the quiz but no luck. I do remember it recommend a soft feel with strong support, Highly cooling, and high point elasticity.

Both my wife and I are side sleepers (occasional back sleepers) however I am 6ā€™1" 230lbs and she is only 5ā€™10" about 140lbs. We both prefer a soft med soft mattress.

Thanks again for any advice.

Hi smcgaw,

You can read more about the construction of the Helix mattress in the Simplified Choice thread here. You may also perform a forum search on Helix (just click on the link) for some discussions on the forum about them. Their mattress does use better quality materials, and I do think highly of the three founders and their base of knowledge, which is unique in the industry. I canā€™t comment upon the Hamuq because Iā€™m still not comfortable with the accuracy of the specifications of their product.

If you do desire to order then Helix, I strongly recommend a phone conversation with the before placing an order so that you may completely convey to them exactly what you are seeking in your mattress and this allows hem to have the most complete information to make their recommendation for you.

Phoenix

I was able to contact Hamuq to get more info on what types of foam they use. Thought I would post here first before I go do my own research and see if what I come up with matches the experts here.
From top to bottom (they said all the foams they use are considered High Density)
1" HD comfort foam 2lbs density
2" HD Bio Foam 2lbs density
1/2" vls gel memory foam 3lbs density
Individual Pocket Coil system with 15 gauge canadian steel
1/2" HD Bio Foam 2lbs density
All encased in Bio Foam 2lbs density for edge support.

According to Hamuq do to the use of the soy based bio foam which uses very little chemicals in the process smells and off gassing are not an issue. Both my wife and I are pretty sensitive to smells (more so me than her)

Once again thank you for all the assistance.

Now to get more info on Helix so I can make a better educated decision.

Hi smcgaw,

Thank you for the update on the Hamuq specifications:

[quote]1" HD comfort foam 2lbs density
2" HD Bio Foam 2lbs density
1/2" vls gel memory foam 3lbs density
Individual Pocket Coil system with 15 gauge canadian steel
1/2" HD Bio Foam 2lbs density
All encased in Bio Foam 2lbs density for edge support[/quote]

So it seems that they have improved their specifications from what I was told in June, and if this is indeed the case these would be better quality materials than before and would generally not be a cause for concern for most individuals.

In post #2 here I describe in more detail the use plant based polyols in polyfoam. In a nutshell, part of the polyol portion used to create polyurethane foam is replaced with a plant-based polyol. Thereā€™s a brief explanation of this from one of the polyol manufacturers here. There are still quite a few chemicals involved in the production of polyfoam, and the fact that a foam pourer uses some plant-based polyols (most these day do) doesnā€™t necessarily make it less ā€œsmellyā€. As for off-gassing (which isnā€™t necessarily related to order), that would best be classified based upon third-party testing for VOCs, and Hamuq is on the CertiPUR-US list, which is the minimum certification I recommend for polyfoams. As you and your wife are chemically sensitive, you really wonā€™t know for sure if any mattress is agreeable with wo you until you go through some personal testing with the product.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix,

Much appreciate help and the knowledge you freely share.

Now on to doing a little more research on Helix and see if the price difference (not to mention shipping to Canada, and duties) is worth it for me and my needs.

I may end up going with Hamuq first since they have a generous trial period and no hassle return policy. Really nothing to loose but everything to gain.

Cheers

Hi smcgaw,

Iā€™ll look forward to learning what you decide to do. And while it isnā€™t a complete listing, there are also some other online mattress sources for Canadians in post #21 here.

Phoenix

Hi smcgaw,

Iā€™m obviously late to comment, but wanted to give our 2-cents for the benefit of others reading this thread.

There are many one-size-fits-all companies out there, and only two (that weā€™re aware of) that allow customization: Helix and Novosbed. The big difference is that where Helix sends one of 9 pre-made options based on a sleeperā€™s survey responses, Novosbed gives sleepers a ā€œbroadā€ choice first (soft, medium, firm), and then allows tailoring later with Comfort+. We chose to do it this way because all mattress components are subject to normal manufacturing tolerances that can yield different feels on a batch-by-batch, and even unit-by-unit basis. Allowing a sleeper to tailor their mattress AFTER they have slept on it gives them more control over the final feel. When comparing prices youā€™ll also find that Novosbed is less expensive than Helix in Canada.

If you are looking for other made-in-Canada options, take a look at Logan & Cove and Douglas - both by Novosbed.

Best,
Sam (from Novosbed)

I recently purchased and today received a Hamuq. A little background. Iā€™d done quite a bit of research (lurking on here mostly) but then threw that all out the window and bought it on impulse. I had planned to buy a local Fawcett latex, but couldnā€™t quite stomach the price ($1900). Iā€™d been sleeping on a ā€œregularā€ mattress with a 4.5" latex topper, but the latex was of suspect quality. The best sleep Iā€™ve had was on a Natura latex bed, but again the prices on those are generally out of what Iā€™d consider reasonable.

I was going to start a new topic to detail my impressions, notes, review etc, but canā€™t seem to figure out how to do that. Hopefully putting it in here will help someone at some point.

1. Arrived per delivery schedule (6 days) from Toronto to Victoria. Box was a bit beat up, but no damage to the mattress bag in side.

2. Itā€™s heavy. 90lbs, seems heavier than a regular coil mattress, though probably not as bad as a full latex.

3. Very little documentation with the mattress. No problem, itā€™s just a mattress, doesnā€™t require assembly or anything, but I wouldā€™ve expect a bit more.

4. Initial unroll and decompression happens fast. Get it where you want it before you cut the bag.

5. Immediately after unroll it will obviously need a little time to breath but first impression is good (Iā€™ve heard 48 hours). Stitching details seem good, cover materials feel good. Quick lay down was comfortable.

I will update later (maybe day 1, day 7, day 30) something like that anyway.

Thanks for the update. We look forward to hearing from you after youā€™ve had the chance to ā€œtest restā€ your new mattress for a few weeks. Phoenix will be back by then and we know Phoenix will want to hear about it as Hamuq is a fairly new company . Sleep well!

Iā€™ve slept on the mattress for a couple of nights now.

1. In my opinion itā€™s on the firm side. After two or three nights now I think my thinking is that it may be a bit too firm for me, but Iā€™ll give it a while yet.

2. The overall ā€œfeelā€ of the mattress is solid. The topper layer isolates you from the coil spring base. There is some bounce if you apply a fair bit of force, but the top layer definitely tempers it. I guess I mean that the mattress doesnā€™t feel particularly ā€œactiveā€.

3. So far Iā€™ve slept fine on it. Not amazing, but definitely not worse than what I had before.

4. There is a discernible ā€œfactory odorā€ to the mattress. I notice it when I come in the room, but I donā€™t notice it after a little while in the room. Without knowing, I suspect that comes from the foam topper layer. I would say that Iā€™m not particularly sensitive to odors, so others may find this more noticeable.

At this point I think my preference may have been for a slightly plusher comfort layer. Iā€™ll update again in a week or so. If Iā€™m still not loving it after a week or so I may put on a 1.5" layer of latex that I have lying around.

Hi franticvike.

Belated Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile: and thanks for your follow-up with your new mattress.

The 12" Hamq pillow top mattress has been rated as medium firmness on their own website, but of course the feel and level of comfort/support is very subjective as only you can feel what you feel on the mattress and there are too many variables and personal preferences involved to trust their firmness rating as an indicator of suitability for you. The mattress is using pocket coils as a base and poly and memory foams top layers and it has been previously discussed on our forum here

Your experience is fairly normal because any new mattress will have the foam slightly softening, as well as some adjustment coming from the fabric covering of the mattress which can take a few weeks to break-in. It can be different for different people, body types, and sleeping positions but the initial break in period can be anywhere from a few weeks to 90 days or so depending on the person and on the type of materials in the mattress. The mattress ā€œbreaks-inā€ a bit, as well as you adjusting and losing some of your own personal ā€œlearned alignmentā€.

There are still quite a few chemicals involved in the production of polyfoam, and the fact that a foam pourer uses some plant-based polyols (most these day do) doesnā€™t necessarily make it less ā€œsmellyā€. Post #2 here has more details the use plant based polyols in polyfoam.

This sounds like a good planā€¦especially as you already have a latex layer to experiment with.
I look forward to your follow up after youā€™ve slept upon your mattress for a while longer.

Phoenix

Iā€™ve been sleeping on the mattress for a little over a month now. Overall I donā€™t ā€œloveā€ it, but probably happy enough to keep it. Some details:

1. After initially finding it too firm I tried a couple different topper options, between 1.5 - 3" of latex at varying firmness. I wasnā€™t really satisfied with any of those combos, so I took the toppers back off and tried it again au naturel.

2. Still lots of tossing and turning and overall feeling that it is too firm.

3. Tried a different set of 3" toppers, one Iā€™d call medium-firm and the other medium.

4. The medium topper over this mattress seems to work well enough for me. Iā€™m not thrilled about needing a 3" topper over what is a nearly $1,000 mattress, but not sure I want to go through the hassle of returning it either.

5. I would stand-by my initial assessment that the Hamuq is on the firm side. If itā€™s ā€œtechnicallyā€ a medium-firm then itā€™s about as firm as that setting goes.

Happy to help with any questions folks may have.

Cheers,

So, I was wrong.

In the end I decided to send it back. I wasnā€™t getting good sleep on it and had the chance to move into my guest room (with a cheap-o mattress) and found that gave me better sleep. I couldnā€™t justify the cost of the Hamuq when it wasnā€™t giving me good sleep.

I still think itā€™s a well made mattress, but stand by my initial thought that itā€™s definitely on the firm side of medium-firm.

The company was absolutely excellent about the return process. I sent an email explaining my thoughts on the mattress. They got back to me in a day or two, only asked for pictures to make sure it was in donate-able condition, and then immediately organized a pick up. Top marks to Hamuq customer service.

Right now Iā€™m back to the off-brad inner spring I had lying around with a 3" latex topper and sleeping at least as well as I did on the Hamuq. Will now probably save up for a locally made latex from Fawcett.

Hi franticvike.

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed commentary on your new Hamuq mattress. Sorry to hear that it did not work out for you but I am glad that they were so responsive and that you had a good customer experience with them.

In your new mattress hunt outside of whether a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) ā€¦ as always Iā€™d keep in mind that a mattress is only as good as the quality of the materials inside it so regardless of the name of the manufacturer ā€¦ youā€™d need to find the specifics of what was inside any mattress you were considering to make an informed decision about the quality of the materials (see this article ) and also revisit the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices ā€¦ and know how and why to avoid the worst ones which would include the major brands where you arenā€™t able to find out the quality of the materials inside itā€¦

Phoenix

Hi there,

I thought Iā€™d post this because I had a very hard time finding any types of reviews that

A: the person reviewing got the mattress for free to review; and B: everything seemed like hype.

When it comes to new bed in a box mattresses, with new ones popping up almost daily, it really often boils down to a leap of faith.

I tried to do research, but see A and B above.

I read horror stories of super sweaty foam mattresses, or ones that would form a permanent indent after a period of use. (Iā€™m overweight so it was I definitely did not want that).

So when I came accross Logan and Cove and it talked about being a hybrid model with inner coils, I looked for more info.

In the end, I took a chance. And Iā€™m really glad I did.

Iā€™ve had the mattress two months now and while there was an adjustment period, my first feeling as I lay down on it was that ever elusive ā€œhotel mattressā€ feel. The company rates it as a 6 out of 10 for firmness, but I would say it leans more towards an 8.

That said, the multi layer cushion top passed the position test: perfect for me as a side sleeper, did not mash my chest into my body on my stomach, and comfortable support on my back. The cushion top is made of organic material and does not make your body overheat. At one point I bought a latex topper because I wasnā€™t used to the firmness of the mattress, and within a day was greatly overheating, I canā€™t imagine what itā€™s like to sleep on a full latex bed, I couldnā€™t handle the topper, so off it went.

After a week I noticed the aches and pains I had with my old mattress were disappearing. I slept more soundly, I woke up feeling less achey.

After two months, as someone with poor sleep habits, I notice Iā€™m getting better quality sleep.

This mattress also fits standard queen size sheets because itā€™s 15 inches deep, something I noted in complaints about other bed in boxes.

It recommends two people to unwrap, but it was manageable by myself up the stairs and unwrapped. And no chemical smell at all that I could detect as it puffed up.

This mattress truly is a luxury brand. I love it so much I felt compelled to create this reddit account to help others out. I love my bed, I get the best sleep, I really canā€™t recommend it enough, particularly for people who are overweight (or not, itā€™s pretty awesome).

The only negatives are the sides are not rock firm as you sit on it, but once on, itā€™s wonderfully firm and soft. The other negative is that itā€™s only available in Canada. But if you can get your hands on one, do it. The price point is ridiculously low for what you get.

Hi Peg.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I see that you are on a ā€œmissionā€ to let the world know how pleased you are with your 2 months old mattress. I noticed that you are a first-time poster both on TMU and Reddit as well and that you posted the same post on Reddit here. :wink:

I tend to agree that buying a bed based on reviews can be confusing and represents whatā€™s wrong with so many mattress ā€œreviewā€ sites. Even when the reviews are legitimate very often ā€œDataā€ is collected in the form of short-term reviews from people who are almost exclusively unqualified to render an educated opinion about the product they have purchased,. Additionally other peopleā€™s experiences in general, wonā€™t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here ), This is why I recommend to avoid considering reviews as any sort of a reliable indicator of the appropriateness of any particular product for your needs. and I would d pay much more attention to the quality of the materials in a mattress than I would pay to reviews as knowing this will allow you to assess any mattress (regardless of who makes it) based on the materials and components inside it rather than on the name of the manufacturer. Itā€™s also the reason that I place such a high value on manufacturers or retailers that are completely transparent about the materials in their mattresses and why knowing the materials in a mattress is so important ā€¦ because you canā€™t ā€œfeelā€ the quality of the materials in a mattress. There is more about this in this article and in the quality/durability guidelines in post #4 here.

Latex, in general, is the most breathable and ā€œtemperature neutralā€ of all the different types of foam materials but the firmness of a mattress and how much you sink into it can also affect sleeping temperature as well. While itā€™s also not always possible to track down temperature regulation issues for any particular person on a specific mattress because there are so many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your sheets and bedding and bedclothes, your mattress protector or any mattress pads you are using, and where you are in the ā€œoven to icebergā€ range) and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

Oh Phoenix! Arenā€™t you wonderful? :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such great information.

And yes, I put it on reddit because that was one of the places I tried searching when I was about to buy (here too).

Because there were so few reviews i thought it may be useful for others to put it in both places.

Happy sleep to you sir! :slight_smile:

Hi Peg,

Thanks for the compliment! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to any comments or feedback you might have along the way.

Phoenix