Newlyweds looking for first mattress ( Long Island)

Hello all, my wife and I are looking to purchase our first mattress for our new home. We have been sleeping on my old full mattress for about 7 months now and are moving into our new home this upcoming weekend. We plan on moving the full mattress into a guest room and purchasing a new mattress for our room. I am a back sleeper and my wife sleeps on her side. Im so confused by all these different brands and materials, and not quite sure where to start. We were planning on heading out to sleepys this week just to get a feel of whats out there. Does anyone have a recommendation of a seller on long island? Or would you suggest finding a mattress we like at sleepys and then providing the name/model on the forum to see if theres something we can order online with the same feel or comfort level?

Hi Almbriano,

Your circumstances are very similar to an earlier post today. My reply in post #2 here would be the same as I would reply to you (especially the links in the post) except of course they are in Chicago and you are in Long Island.

There is a list for the NYC area in post #2 here and more detailed and “categorized” descriptions of many of them in post #7 here which are the outlets I would be focusing on. If none of these are in reasonable driving distance … then let me know your zip and I’d be happy to see if there is anything which may be closer that would be worth visiting (although these would likely still be the closest “high quality/value” choices).

Hope this helps

Phoenix

Thanks for your reply pheonix. Based off of your list my closest retailer is located in Carle Place, NY. I am located in 11542. I looked at Broadway Futon and these are some of the mattresses they carry. They dont have a company or model name but this is the link. Any input on whats sold there?

Hi Almbriano,

They are included in the first link I listed and carry Gold Bond mattresses (you can see the mattresses they list on the Gold Bond site). They are wholesale manufacturer that makes some good quality mattresses and can have better than average value depending on the prices they are selling for at any particular retailer.

Depending on the type of mattress you are looking for, your budget range, and the time involved in a drive to NYC … I would suggest a phone call an/or a visit to Dixie foam and Scott Jordan would also be well worth while. NOTE ADDED: Scott Jordan is also now a member of this site.

Post #4 here also has some possibilities that are closer to you but they may require an “interview” first to find out whether they are able and/or willing to let you know the materials in their mattresses.

Phoenix

Sorry to dig up an old topic but finally my wife and i went mattress shopping. We stopped into macys since we had quite a few gift cards still from our bridal shower. We tested out a bunch of mattresses just to see what we liked/ disliked. I liked the iseries translucent dream plush super pillowtop and my wife liked sterns and foster cayla pillowtop. Now after looking through the icomfort thread it seams like its not the best choice, but it sure did feel nice in the store. what brand would be comparable to the iseries i liked or would there be something comparable to the sterns and foster my wife liked. BTW here are the links to the mattresses we liked:

iSeries

Sterns and foster

Hi Almbriano,

Your question is very similar to another question that was asked a couple of days ago (and is asked quite frequently) and post #387 - 389 here along with the first part of post #2 here and especially post #2 here which talk about “matching” a more objective set of targets instead of the more subjective “feel” of another mattress may all be helpful.

Once you have a set of guidelines about all the more objective factors that are most important to you … then this post (and the links it includes) can give you some steps that will give you much better odds of buying a mattress that not only matches your needs and preferences but has much better quality and value than the two you are looking at.

As you can see … besides some basic research into mattress materials and construction and eliminating the worst quality/value choices the next step is to find the smaller local or independent manufacturers in your area (instead of major brands) that are sold either factory direct or through better sleep shops that have the ability to tell you what is in their mattress (so you can make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses) and the experience, knowledge, and selection to help you make your best possible choices.

The two mattresses you linked are good examples because they use very different materials which would have a very different “feel” and performance for most people but they share the same poor value and “weak links” of lower quality soft materials in the upper comfort layers which will soften and compress much too quickly and are the biggest reason that both are “low value” mattresses. You will find that there are many mattresses that “feel” and perform the same or better but that use higher quality materials (that a better retailer or manufacturer will actually tell you about) and that will “match” your needs and preferences just as well (or better if you were only testing for the “comfort” of each mattress) but with higher quality materials that will last longer at a better price.

At least it’s clear that you like soft mattresses but I would also make sure that you test for alignment because “comfort” is easy to feel in a showroom but support and alignment is what you will feel with long term use and is more difficult to “test” for in a showroom. Choosing a mattress that is too soft for someone’s body type and sleeping positions in the managed environment of a showroom or choosing a pillowtop with too much soft lower quality foam in it are two of the biggest “mistakes” people make when buying a mattress. Post #11 here will help with testing for alignment/support.

Phoenix

Why does mattress shopping have to be so difficult… haha. Phoenix just curious what mattress do you sleep on?

Hi Almbriano,

You can see a description of it in post #4 here :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hate to bring up such an old topic, but tomorrow my wife and i are taking a ride into the city and will not leave until a mattress is purchased. I think we narrowed it down to European Sleepworks. We will go by dixie foam first to see what they offer, but then make our way to scott jordan. Phoenix, is there someone in particular i should speak to at scott jordan, and i though i remember reading a while back that mattress underground members received a discount. Just wanted to clarify if thats true before i mention it.

Hi Almbriano,

I have talked with Scott Jordan on several occasions but I spoke with whoever happened to answer the phone and didn’t write down their name (I have since spoken with Scott and he certainly knows his stuff). NOTE ADDED: They are now a member of this site as well. At Dixie Foam I have spoken on quite a few occasions with Mark and think highly of him as well.

The discount or bonus for forum members is offered by the manufacturing or retailer members listed here and while I think highly of both of the retailers/manufacturers you are mentioning … neither of them are members of this site.

Of course that doesn’t mean that you can’t ask for a “I drove a long way to get here and ignored most of the mattress stores on Long Island because you were mentioned on the TMU site” discount and see what they say :slight_smile:

Phoenix