Non-Quilted Stretchy Ticking for Latex Layers

I am looking for a thin, flexible (i.e. ‘barely there’) ticking for my brand new 3x3" latex layer bed.
The ticking it came with is a high quality quilted organic cotton/wool , but is thick and not stretchy. I absolutely adore my layers without the ticking, however with the ticking on the bed is noticeably firmer and I cannot sink into my x-soft talalay top layer like I want to.

I am concerned about which encasement I can safely use as ticking because I understand that latex, being natural, needs some protection that perhaps other foams do not.
Can you help with 1) information on what protections latex actually needs to prevent premature aging & breakdown, and 2) suggestions on appropriate encasements that can act as sufficient ticking for latex layers? I am not terribly concerned with the aesthetics, I just want protection and comfort.

Thanks so much!

Hi latexintheatx,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile: and congratulation on your brand new bed :lol:

All foams will need protection from the mechanical abrasive forces, outside added materials (body oils, skin cells, fluids, etc.) as well as protection from UV rays and oxidation. Most foams will already have anti-oxidants blended into them, but you’ll still want to use a good covering, whether the product be latex, polyfoam, or memory foam.

There are a myriad of mattress encasements available, with the most flexible generally being some sort of a cotton/polyester/viscose blended with something like elastin. These will interfere less with the point elasticity of your very soft latex later.

At a quick glance some of the site members offering more flexible mattress encasements would be:

Latex Mattress Factory (member of this site) has a removable and washable 360-degree zipper cotton cover from 2" to 12" in thickness.

Sleep On Latex has organic cotton covers sizes from 1 to 12" in thickness which has a zipper all around and allows for the top part to be removed and washed.

Midwest Mattress has a protection encasement with a zipper that does not change the feel of the mattress.

There are some other the protector and cover options mentioned in the [url=https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/foam-factory-any-good]component post here[/url ], but not all are site members.

Mattress encasements can be one of the most significant parts of the cost of a mattress and also one of the most important. Not only can they have a major influence on how a mattress performs and feels … cheap or thin mattress covers will not properly protect the foam inside and in particular with latex can allow the foam to degrade and break down much more quickly and significantly lower its longevity.

I hope this helps.

Just wanted to share my experience.
Purchased encasement from Sleep EZ but the problem that I am running into is that the material make me sleep hot.
The top is stretchy cotton but it has polyester backing (for fire protection) and I had to unzip it because I was sweating a lot (on layers of latex only). Just be aware of that.
The quest continues but because the enclosures are not refundable I am puzzled how to make a selection.

Hi aero1,

If you have the 4-way cotton stretch cover, it is a cotton/rayon mixture and not too thick and quite breathable, so while you may be sleeping warmer using this (I’m not sure what you were using previously), it would not be common for this type of an encasement to be described as “warm sleeping” due to the breathable nature of the materials. But I have a few more hints for you that you may find helpful.

There are many factors that will influence your mattress microclimate, including the overall plushness of your product (softer mattresses tend to sleep warmer than firmer products). Also, take a look at the mattress pad or protector you are using, as that can greatly impact your overall comfort. Something using any sort of PVC/plastic/vinyl layer will reflect heat back, and even the “breathable” ones using polyurethane films can feel a bit too warm to some temperature sensitive individuals. There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

If you are very temperature sensitive, you may wish to look at some sort of a mattress encasement that is just a very thin cotton or polyester cover with a bit of elastin or similar flexible material in it. Those tend to have the least structure, be the most flexible, and most breathable.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix,
As always very thoughtful response. I just wanted to make aware potential buyers that the enclosure that I purchased has 40% polyester content. By the way the communication and pre purchase assistance from Sleep EZ was great.
I am probably one of the rare people that are very temperature sensitive. I am sleeping much better without the encasement (same latex layers and never used a mattress protector).

I am wondering if I can use a cotton sheet( deep pocket) that covers the 12" layers of latex (no light in the room).

Thanks again for all of your help.

Hi aero1,

The content breakdown in their current cotton 4-way stretch knit is 60% cotton and 40% Rayon. Rayon will have more of a drape like cotton and is breathable. It’s more like a natural fiber in how it performs. It’s semi-synthetic, derived from wood pulp.

Some people are just “wired” that way, so I can understand how important it is for you to find a combination of materials that provide you the temperature control that you desire.

You may wish to try this simple 100% cotton muslin fabric encasement.

Phoenix

I had already purchased this cover, which I like as it is stretchy and does not distort or harden the latex.
https://smile.amazon.com/Soft-Heaven-Mattress-Cover-Hypoallergenic/dp/B00F4IEXFG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1506365416&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=Soft+Heaven+Mattress+Cover&psc=1
My concern is that it may not be protective enough, that’s all. I don’t want my layers to degrade in my years because they were not sufficently protected.
However, I don’t want to spend a small fortune trying out a bunch of others covers, either, only to find out they don’t stretch or just ruin my mattress fun like the original cover does.
Seriously I love feeling like I’m sleeping on/in a sweet layer of marshmallow cream. :0)
Do you think this one is ok?
Thanks

Hi latexintheatx,

I’m not familiar with this cover, so I wouldn’t be able to comment upon the porosity to air and sunlight that it might offer. It is certainly something that you can assess as time goes on, and if you notice what you might consider “excessive” degradation of your latex foam along the sides or top of the mattress, you may wish to invest in a new cover at that time. You’ll also be using a mattress par/protector and a fitted sheet, and these items will also assist with oxidation as well.

Phoenix