Non standard size mattress

about 10 years ago we purchased a “King” size bed from Ligne Roset, the Maly bed. It is beautiful. But we soon found out that it was not a standard king size as no size of american sheets actually fit. We dealt with that. The store sold a Bultex mattress with it. We found this to be the most uncomfortable mattress ever made and had a foam topper roughly made to put over the mattress. I recently removed it due to age and started sleeping on the bultex mattress again. It is like being assaulted during the night. Every part of my body feels like it has been battered in the morning. Sorry, the short of all of this is that it turns out that this is a Euro King mattress. I have searched everywhere on the internet to find any company that makes or sells a Euro King mattress and have had absolutely NO LUCK. I have checked a few that say that they make custom mattresses, but it turns out that only one of their manufacturers can really custom size. And it is a traditional spring mattress. One reason this won’t fit is aesthetics. The bultex is 6 inches thick to integrate with the lines of the bed. But 8-9 inches would be okay. I am a side sleeper, so I really need one of the foam/gel beds. Does ANYONE have any idea of where I could find a company that actually makes european size mattresses or can custom make a quality mattress in this country??? I am truly desperate. I cannot sleep one more night on this horrendous mattress. I would be MOST, MOST APPRECIATE FOR ANY INPUT/ANSWERS.

Thanks

Hi ellenc,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

“Euro King” is a term commonly used for the Superking, or 180cm x 200cm, or approximately 71" x 79". This can be cut down from a King (76" x 80") or California King (72" x 84") mattress in the “traditional” sizes here in North America.

Your Bultex uses 6" of CMHR (Combustion Modified High Resileince) polyfoam, at a density of 37 kg/m3, which is about a 2.5 lb density foam, which is a good quality material. The softness is rated at 3.1 kPa, which is generally regarded as “soft” with a “comparable” ILD in the low 20s, for comparison.

For special size fabricators, a good starting point would be the component supplier post here, which has offerings for latex, polyfoam and memory foam manufacturers, many who can create custom sizes for you.

Phoenix

I found a store near me that has been mentioned in at least one of your posts -Urban Mattress. One of their "brands’ is Urban Virtues and they can make custom sizes. They are foam, some Taladay latex but for many they don’t list what kind of foam. I am going Togo there today to check them out. Are you familiar with Urban Virtues? In addition I found an online site called "create-a-mattress’ where you can make your own with custom sizes. What is your experience with this site?

Hi ellenc,

Yes, I’ve noticed since their web site redesign that their Product Specs tab doesn’t work when you click upon it. They are usually quite transparent about the componentry within their mattresses, so I’m not sure if this is an oversight in their new web site. There are different models in the Virtues line that use different mixes of poly foam and latex, so you’d want to get specific information from them when visiting or phoning for the model in which you had an interest.

I have no personal experience with this site. They were founded by a marketer, Evan Saks, who had worked in marketing for Dial-A-Mattress for 7 years, but his main business seems to be a marketing communications company he’s run since 1994. Create-A-Mattress has been around since 2009. Their site provides little meaningful information about the foams they use, and there is very little customization offered with their products (perhaps more would be available with a phone call to them), as the name would lead you to believe that you could choose your layerings and perhaps mixing of specific materials, but you’re effectively choosing an innerspring, memory foam or latex (or “faux latex”, whatever that is) and then choosing plush or firm, and then a mattress is chosen for you, but the actual layers and their specifics are not listed. I would provide a strong caution against shopping for a mattress in this manner with so little actual information provided about the products being considered, and you’d be better served with manufacturers of the type I previously listed who are knowledgeable about mattress construction and are transparent in the materials that they use.

Phoenix

Well I went to Urban Mattress. I had made a mistake. It was not the Virtue line that could be customized. It was the Vispring, which is a coil mattress. They were very helpful though, and I tried a number of their beds, several of which I really liked. The employee was also surprised that the specifications could not be accessed online, but he gave me a print out for the one I liked the most. It was the Gratitude one with a quilt layer of 1.5" 2.1 lb foam, listed twice.The next line says “upholstery”(?) and it is listed with a 2" 28ILD Latex and 1" 19ILD latex and then the HR Base Foam listed as 6" 2.5 lb 28ILD. But it just so happened that a Savvy Rest was right across the street and I went there. They make their own mattresses and they had no problem making a Euro King. They only charge $300 for the customization, but that brings the price of the mattress up to $5000!!! Can’t do that. So I am now thinking of just finding a good latex 3-4 inch pillow top. They have one but it comes to $2000. They are very expensive! Don’t know if you have any suggestions for something a tad more reasonably priced. The Savvy Rest can totally customize, and you can exchange layers in the first 90 days, though with a custom mattress, you have to pay something for that.

One thing to be aware of when purchasing custom made products is that most companies do not offer the same return or exchange privileges that they do with their standard product offerings, so it would be advisable to be sure you understand their applicable policies before you commit to a purchase. Best of luck with your search and whatever mattress you end up selecting!

Hi ellenc,

Yes, there is quite a difference between the Urban Mattress line and the ViSpring line. :slight_smile:

Yes, if you look at the component supplier list I previously provided you there will be a list of latex suppliers who can create custom sized mattresses and toppers for you at prices more reasonable than what you have already come across. You may also wish to check with some of the site members listed who manufacture their own latex mattresses in post #21 here, as many of them are happy to create custom sizes for you.

Sweet Dreams did bring up a good point that it is often the case with custom sizes that the item is neither returnable or exchangeable, so be sure to learn of those policies before placing any order.

Phoenix

Hi, I followed your advice and ordered a 100% talalay latex 3 inch topper from SleepEZ with a wool cover. They did customize the size and are quite willing to accept it back. After 3 days, I could take the pain no more. It amplified my pain 10 fold. I have communicated with Rodger, an incredibly helpful salesperson and he suggested trying without the cover, which I have for the past week. Prior to this topper, I never experienced low back pain from sleeping. I feel I am now a cripple. I don’t know where to go from here. I did have a foam topper on it from long ago, about 13 years ago and did okay. It wasn’t great, but it did not cause me pain. It was when I decided to trash it because I felt it could not be cleaned that my problems started. Given that I survived on an old fashion foam topper before, I am desperate and need to be able to walk into a store tomorrow to find a replacement. I will settle for a standard queen size, just to be able to sleep and get out of pain. I see that there is a healthy back store around and actually I could even find something on Amazon to order overnight, if you could recommend something. I am going from bad to worse and wish that I had not thrown out my old dirty foam topper.

Hi ellenc,

I’m sorry you’re not enjoying your new latex topper. :frowning: It’s very nice that SleepEZ is willing to take back a custom sized product for you, though! :slight_smile:

Just for the sake of clarity of anyone else reading through this thread, I did not make a recommendation for a topper, but replied to your specific request for sources for a “good latex 3-4 inch pillowtop”. The focus here on the site has always been on resources for “how” to choose, not “what”, so thank you for allowing me to reemphasize that.

I’m not sure what was on the inside of your old “foam topper”. It could have been polyfoam or a different type of latex (Dunlop) or perhaps latex of a different ILD (firmness). That would be the first place you’d want to start in attempting to replicate the feel of your old topper.

Without knowing what was on the inside of your old foam topper, I really can’t provide any guidance. I don’t even know the ILD of the Talalay latex topper you chose and don’t like. You stated before that your current mattress was too hard and that you’re looking for plushness, so I can’t feel what you feel and decipher why you didn’t like the feel of the latex on top of your current mattress. If you think that your topper was indeed polyfoam, then I would suggest looking for something using polyfoam in a similar thickness to your old topper, and look for something of a better density, starting at 1.8 lb as a minimum. But then it would come down to the plushness of the polyfoam, which is not directly correlated to the density in polyfoam (as it generally is in latex). This is of course where it could be beneficial for you to find something in person so that you could feel the material to see if it is close to your preference of your old topper in comfort. I already provided a listing of some supplies of which I am aware for polyfoams (if that is indeed what you think you had) in one of my previous replies. Another option that you may wish to look at locally if it is polyfoam you seek would be any local foam fabricators or upholstery shops, as polyfoam would be available there (although I wouldn’t know if it would be available in the size you need).

Phoenix

I am sorry. I short-cutted my first sentence too much! You did not recommend anything specific, but directed me to a link with toppers and I made further decisions myself. The talalay topper was designated as soft. I guess too soft, because there was no support for my spine. I just ordered a different one that I had read about in mattress topper reviews and that had great customer reviews on Amazon because they can deliver overnight. If that doesn’t help, then I guess I will be in the market for a new mattress altogether and will certainly have to really test them out. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the Sleep Innovations dual layer mattress topper with memory gel in queen size. I am going with queen so I don’t have to lose so much time in having something custom made. Thanks for all of your help. (I know you will likely think that other positive customer reviews will not necessarily mean that I will have a positive experience, but I will have to just wait and see)

Hi ellenc,

No worries. It’s just that sometimes people reading through the threads who are not familiar with this forum come across statements like that and then I’m receiving multiple requests to “pick” mattresses for people! :wink:

A plush Talalay topper is designed mostly to modify you surface comfort, with the primary job of your “deep support” being performed by the polyfoam core within your mattress. There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel” that may be useful as well.

This uses 2" of 3 lb memory foam with 2" of polyfill above. I don’t know if this was similar to what your old topper contained, but I’m doubting that, as at only 3 lb of memory foam this wouldn’t be considered as durable of a material, and below the 4 lb minimum I recommend. But I’m hoping you have good luck with it. :slight_smile:

You’re exactly correct. Those reviews have absolutely no influence or determination of your outcome.

Phoenix