Noob Looking for a Good New Bed

Yeah, those frames appear to be from $60 to $100.

Here is another stupid question. Do any of these questionable mattresses come with box springs? I don’t know how that works. I tried to find out if there is any mention of them in the listings but came up with nothing.

A). Bed Bath & Beyond | The Best Deals Online: Furniture, Bedding, Rugs, Kitchen Essentials & Moree

B ). Bed Bath & Beyond | The Best Deals Online: Furniture, Bedding, Rugs, Kitchen Essentials & Moree

C). Bed Bath & Beyond | The Best Deals Online: Furniture, Bedding, Rugs, Kitchen Essentials & Moree

D). Bed Bath & Beyond | The Best Deals Online: Furniture, Bedding, Rugs, Kitchen Essentials & Moree

Hi Snagged,

Most mattresses sold today do best with a rigid non flexing or semi-flex foundation not a box spring (which has springs inside it).

According to the descriptions or titles of the mattresses you linked … they all come with a foundation and are being sold as a set (mattress and foundation) rather than as a “mattress only”.

Phoenix

Good to know! And that is awesome. I guess I will just take my chances with the mainstream ones since it is an all in one thing and looks good with price.

I really like the good mattresses shown but looking to save a bit of money. Looks like I’m going to have to roll the dice.

Hi Snagged,

[quote]Good to know! And that is awesome. I guess I will just take my chances with the mainstream ones since it is an all in one thing and looks good with price.

I really like the good mattresses shown but looking to save a bit of money. Looks like I’m going to have to roll the dice.[/quote]

It’s certainly not a risk I would take but at least you know the much higher risks involved in terms of suitability and durability and are willing to take a chance with a much lower quality mattress than I would normally suggest considering.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=49367]Hi Snagged,

[quote]Good to know! And that is awesome. I guess I will just take my chances with the mainstream ones since it is an all in one thing and looks good with price.

I really like the good mattresses shown but looking to save a bit of money. Looks like I’m going to have to roll the dice.[/quote]

It’s certainly not a risk I would take but at least you know the much higher risks involved in terms of suitability and durability and are willing to take a chance with a much lower quality mattress than I would normally suggest considering.

Phoenix[/quote]

Yeah, I understand that. I just want to get a mattress and a foundation for it for a reasonable rate. I just haven’t come across anything that that combines the foundation of the mattress and the mattress itself for a good price. I could spend $600 dollars on a mattress and foundation for it. Would any of the ones you suggested be had for that price? I just came across mattresses that are just $600 by themselves…unless I missing something. I’m going to order it most likely tomorrow sometime with whatever I end up with.

Then add in about $80 for sheets and then maybe a new support structure for the whole bed around $60 to $80. With all of that I’m looking at $1000.

Hi Snagged,

You will also need a bedframe to go under the foundation and a mattress protector to go over the mattress but if your maximum price is $600 for just the mattress and foundation and there is no way to go any higher and you are OK with the idea that for some people the mattresses you are considering may only last you a matter of months (which I wouldn’t consider to be good value in any budget range) or that you may not sleep well on them even when they are new (overstock doesn’t provide good guidance that can help you match your specific needs and preferences in a mattress) and you are also OK with not being able to return them if they don’t turn out to be a suitable match for you then it may be worthwhile considering them.

I would personally go in a different direction though.

You could purchase a wire grid platform foundation for under $100 (see the foundation post here) which would leave you about $500 for your mattress. At these budget ranges … the more you can put into your mattress the better.

If you look at some of the Dreamfoam models here you will see some innerspring mattresses including 3 pocket coil pillowtop options (one with polyfoam, one with memory foam, and one with latex) and the budget saver that uses a Bonnell coil (but isn’t a pillowtop) that would all be better quality choices than the mattresses you are considering. Keep in mind that if you order any of these mattresses from the Dreamfoam site there is an additional 10% discount.

There are also several other foam (non innerspring) options that are in the same or lower budget ranges that would be well worth considering as well that would also use better quality and more durable materials than the mattresses you are considering.

There are also several other options in the previous post I linked with the lower budget options from Ikea that would be inside your budget range as well.

There may also be some local options that are close to you that would make better quality/value choices as well that would give you the chance to try the mattress in person so that you don’t get “stuck” with a mattress that isn’t suitable for you that you don’t sleep well on and can’t return.

Phoenix