NordicTrack Sleep Mattress

I was looking to build a mattress via diymattress but just came across this… https://www.costco.com/nordictrack-sleep-13"-hybrid-mattress.product.100659652.html

It is a bit less($75 or so) than building one, but no latex. Then again, I could easily get a 2" latex topper for it and be at around the DIY price.

What do you guys think? I talked to Costco and they said if I am not absolutely satisfied within the next year(if I buy) then they will send a freight truck to come pick it up and give me a complete full refund, so that’s good piece of mind.

Hey Mallowpuff,

Welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile: ! Thanks for your question.

Mallowpuff, not sure if I understand your question. Are you asking whether you should buy a discount mattress from a wholesale club because it comes with a 12 month refund option? Or should you buy a NordicTrack mattress because of the potential savings vs a DIY? Either way, can you give some background details please, starting with what mattress you’re currently sleeping on and what you like/ don’t like about it; your height/ weight/ BMI; your sleeping preferences; and perhaps any other specifics such as the mattress size, your budget, and any preference for certain materials. Without a little background, it’s impossible to compare any mattress’s specs with what potentially may be a better choice for you. If you’re new to mattress shopping as you are to the forum (and a big Welcome again :wink: ), here are several Phoenix’s articles you may find helpful in getting started: “How to Find Your Perfect Mattress”, “The Basic Functions of a Mattress”, “Your Sleeping Style, Preferences and Statistics” and “Mattress Durability Guidelines”. Looking forward to hearing more on your process.

Thanks,
Sensei

You’re right on the second of the two. I was getting everything planned for a budget DIY mattress. What turned me off was the shipping time and warranty(or lack thereof). Then I saw the NordicTrack, which has absolutely no legitimate reviews anywhere that I could find. I am not sure it the NordicTrack would be worth trying or if it would be worthwhile to spend the little bit extra and wait the extra time to go DIY.

I am 5’ 9", 180lb, stomach and side sleeper. Current mattress is a really awful Rooms-To-Go $200 innerspring/pillow top. It never really hurt my back for the first 3 years but now it’s pretty bad. I do have back issues(minor scoliosis among other things) but am on a College student budget. Under $450 for a Twin XL.

I hope that is enough! :slight_smile:

Oh and I forgot to say, I can’t really go test mattresses currently. I live with people that are at high risk from the virus so I am staying home as much as I possibly can.

Hi again Mallowpuff!

Thanks for the additional input. Great to see that you are furthering your research under Sensei’s guidance.

Ditto! And just to add a bit more gas on the fire … Looking for NordicTrack’s specifications I was not able to find much other than layer thickness and some buzz words describing the foams.
• COOLMAX® Performance Circular Fabric
• 1.5" Ventilated COOLTOUCH® Air Memory Foam
• 2" Ventilated NUGEL® Memory Foam
• 3" Interlocking Bodyshape Transition Foam
• 5.5" Independently Wrapped Steel Coil Support System
As you have probably read in the mattress specifications you need to know article, the info they list for the product is not enough to ensure that the mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here ) Lower density memory foams also will tend to have a lower functional ILD which means that in combination with the thickness of the layer and a prone sleeping position may not be supportive enough for you.

The biggest issue with lower density memory foam is foam softening (or what some people call virtual impressions). Foam breakdown can lead to the loss of comfort and/or support which is the biggest reason that most people will need to replace their mattress. In your case, as you are a stomach and side sleeper and have some underlying conditions it is even more important that you select a product that is supporting your spine in neutral alignment.

Usually, someone who sleeps in the prone (stomach) position needs a surface that is firmer and less forgiving. There’s a bit more information about common sleeping positions and appropriate sleep surfaces here .

You did not mention what kind of DIY you had in the works but at your BMI and also being a prone sleeper and if you like the feel of a memory foam product (DIY or not) I would recommend that you use the minimum thickness that is suitable for your needs and preferences. I would also consider combining it with other types of material in your comfort layer, so you can take advantage of its strengths without being as affected by its weaknesses. Also, make sure that you are choosing a high-quality memory foam (using the guidelines in the link I provided) made by a reputable manufacturer that meets 3rd party testing standards and publishes that they have done so.

If you could comfortably afford I would certainly go in the direction of latex as long as the design and thickness of the mattress (see post #14 here ) was a good “match” for your weight range in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) because all around it is a superior and supportive material but as the next important part of your “value equation” is cost … then a latex/polyfoam hybrid DIY under the guidance of an expert could certainly be a good “budget” compromise.

Phoenix

Thanks for the extremely detailed response.

You guys here have swayed me, I forgot to update this thread. I am going with Latex. :slight_smile:

Right now I’m mostly deciding between a Hybrid(SleepEZ, Arizona Premium) or a full latex(SleepEZ, SOL, Arizona Premium)

I’ve heard that the difference is pretty big but primarily personal opinion. I am leaning towards Hybrid.

I am also somewhat considering a Latex topper on my current innerspring. It’s a mess, but it could last until I move and want to buy a full/queen sized bed.

A lot of decisions to make…