Not sure what I need; in pain after a month on new mattress?

Hi,
I recently bought a mattress from a chain store, uninformed and uneducated, and pretty much got something that is not working at all. Started off wtih a Sealy Posturepedic that was too firm, and causing bad hip pain when lying on side, used the only comfort exchange for a simmons beautyrest recharge plush pillowtop that is causing new and various pains. After 3 weeks, the crappy foam in the pillowtop is flattening and I"m getting the same pressure point on my hips when I sleep on my side, which is my preferred method of sleeping. However, at first on the simmons I was able to sleep on my back, albeit I’d wake up with sore lower back and hip. That was passable until the thing flattened and no position is comfortable. I have a memory foam topper (from target, so probably not great quality) and that helped for 2 nights. Have ordered a 3" 4lb memory foam one from amazon to see if that helps any. Plus the mattress sinks in the middle, so the last 3 nights I have slept literally perched on the left edge of the mattress where the “edgelock foam system” or whataver is, any farther inward and it hurts my hips and feels tilted toward the middle. It’s weird how there’s such a marked contrast in the edge foam and the middle of the bed, but at least I have the edge to sleep on until I can get a new mattress. So I’m not sure if the mattress is too soft, or if the hip pain is from harder foam that I feel from the pillowtop compressing, all I know is I"m tired of being in pain! And I’m pretty sure I’m not having good alignment.

I’m considering a latex bed; I read posts about some stores in the Birmingham AL area Phoenix suggested that sell quality beds, Royal Bedding, STandard Furniture, and Ensley Fairfield mattress. I will check out these stores over the next week or so; I am going to have to just pony up more $$ and consider the $1200 or so I wasted a learning experience. :frowning:

If anyone has any advice, (of course I’m studying the info on this site), I’d love to hear it!

Thanks, and hope everyone is doing well (and sleeping well!)

Hi Vicky,

It’s unfortunate that you didn’t find us before you purchase your Sealy and your Simmons mattress … both of which I would generally suggest avoiding because of the lower quality materials they use in their comfort layers which can soften or break down much too quickly relative to the price you paid (see the guidelines here).

There is more about the different symptoms that people may experience on a mattress and the most common reasons for them in post #2 here that may be helpful but you are really the only one that can feel what you feel on the mattress or decide whether it’s too soft or too firm.

If your mattress is too firm but is still in good condition and doesn’t have any soft spots (virtual impressions) or visible impressions and you just need some extra softness and pressure relief (and the foundation under the mattress is also in good condition without any soft spots or sagging as well which can affect the sleeping surface of the mattress) then a topper can certainly be an effective solution. If the mattress does have soft spots or impressions though and you are hoping to use a topper to “fix” it then your results may be disappointing and at best may only provide temporary or partial results and at worst can make some issues worse. The most effective solution for a mattress that is too soft or has soft spots or sagging is to remove and replace the layers that are too thick/soft or that are sagging (or if that’s not possible or practical then to replace the mattress).

If you do decide that your mattress is too firm then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline for choosing the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success and also includes a link to a list of some of the better sources for toppers I’m aware of as well. Your experience on the topper you purchased may give you some indication of whether a topper will be helpful.

If on the other hand your mattress is either too soft or is sagging then a solution to your issues would be much more difficult but some of the suggestions in post #4 here may be helpful and worth trying before you decide to replace the mattress.

If you decide to replace your mattress and you are in reasonable driving distance then as you probably read I think very highly of Tom and Royal Bedding in terms of their knowledge and service and the quality and value of their mattresses and I would certainly make a point of including them in your research.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix for your quick reply. Yes, I wish I’d found your site first too! Finally, someone who understands the complexities and frustration of finding a decent mattress!!! I honestly thought I was losing my mind, having so much trouble & pain coupled with sleep deprivation on these mattresses, twice I literally stayed up all night on the brick-like Sealy, trying different fiberbed/topper combinations. My coworkers politely suggested that MAYBE it wasn’t the mattress, but… perhaps I should talk to someone??? :wink: That may be, but I think it IS the mattress in this case,

Thanks for all the links regarding fixing too firm or too soft issues. Since there is a definite dip I can feel in the middle, I’m afraid you’re right and the 3" topper won’t really help; but hopefully it won’t cause more pain. It’s going to be temporary anyway, because I am definitely going to get a new mattress, even if I have to do financing.

I can’t sleep on the edge of this one forever–I measured the “semi-comfortable” zone from the edge that I stay in, it’s like 15 inches or so. My poor hubby is tired of hearing about mattresses, so I’m sure he won’t go with me to shop (would have been nice to get him to check spinal alignment as I tried out different mattresses). But you said they were pretty helpful at Royal Bedding, hopefully they can steer me in the right direction based on my needs?

Again, thank you for your time & valuable input. Sorry to ramble on, but no one else has remotely understood my distress or frustration. Kudos to you for putting up this site with so much information!!!

Hi Vicky,

They are certainly knowledgeable and experienced but I would always keep in mind that nobody else can feel what you feel on a mattress so while “informed” guidance is always helpful you are the only one that can decide whether any particular mattress is the best choice for you.

Once the time comes to start your research into a new mattress then the mattress shopping tutorial here includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps even more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
well, I called Tom today and let him know I was coming by tomorrow; he seemed very nice. I went by Standard Furniture this morning just to look, and there was an interesting latex mattress by Jamison, “Prince”, and i asked for specs on the materials, and discovered the Talalay latex is not a blend. There are 2" of soft GL Talaly Latex (TL) , (just read about slow-response latex) 1" of medium TL, and 3" extra firm TL.
but he did not know the density of the 6" “Ultra-Premium High Density, Famous Hotel Foam Core.” That is from the sheet he printed off for me from the Jamison website. Would that be a red flag, not being able to get specific numbers?
Honestly though I’m not gonna get rolled up in that one until I talk to Tom & Ginger at Royal Bedding. Tom was like, we get a large percentage of customers who are unsatisfied w/beds they got somewhere else, so sorry you are having trouble!! :slight_smile: Wish me luck–

Vicky,

First of all, good luck in your quest! Please search for the thread I started here a few months back about my experience dealing with Royal Bedding. We didn’t get to meet Tom & Ginger personally, but my wife and I had several telephone conversations with both of them. We could not have hoped for a better experience. We ended up buying a latex mattress and topper from them and could not be happier with our choice. However, as Phoenix often warns, a bed that works for one will not necessarily work for another, so please weigh your decision carefully. But I can almost guarantee that your interactions with Tom & Ginger will be a pleasure.

I noticed that you said that your husband is wishing to avoid the shopping experience. I would suggest that, if at all possible, you at least take him for a “test drive” after you have found what looks like “the one.”

Again, good luck!

[quote=“Boondocks Bob” post=52564]Vicky,

I noticed that you said that your husband is wishing to avoid the shopping experience. I would suggest that, if at all possible, you at least take him for a “test drive” after you have found what looks like “the one.”

Again, good luck![/quote]

Agree 100%, I couldn’t get my wife to go test drive. She can’t sleep on the mattress at all.

Hi Vicky,

I would want to know all the information listed here before purchasing any mattress to make sure that it uses good quality materials and that there are no “weak links” in the mattress and so that you can make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

The Jamison site lists the latex in the Prince as being 100% Talalay which doesn’t mean that it is 100% natural … only that it’s Talalay latex (which can be made from synthetic latex, natural latex, or a blend of both). Talalay Global (previously called Latex International) no longer makes the Talalay GL slow response latex but the fast response is a blend of natural and synthetic latex (about 35% natural and 65% synthetic) which is a very high quality and durable material. The other two latex layers are most likely their blended Talalay latex as well (which is about 30% natural and 70% synthetic) which is also a high quality material).

As far as I know … the 6" “famous hotel foam core” is 1.8 lb polyfoam which is a good quality material but I would confirm this with them as well since it may have changed (if they will provide you with this information).

Overall this is a latex/poplyfoam hybrid that uses good quality materials and assuming the specs are correct there would be no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress.

I would also do what you are doing and make sure to include Royal Bedding in your research.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback after your visit :slight_smile:

Phoenix

The Jamison mattresses

Thanks Boondocks Bob! :slight_smile:
I just read your post about Royal Bedding–that is WONDERFUL that you got what you wanted!! That really gives me hope-- I’ve been really depressed about this and wondering if I’ll ever get a good night’s sleep again. That’s pretty amazing how Tom was able to discern just the right mattress for your needs that ended up working so well! Did you only talk to him on the phone? I know that one size doesn’t fit all when it comes to mattresses, but maybe they’ll have some idea for me.

Google maps says it’s about 25 or so minutes from my house to the store, so that’s not bad at all.

As far as hubby’s input, no worries, we each have our own beds!! As you can imagine, we each have sleep challenges, and have different sleep schedules, so it’s just easier that way. Hey, it’s worked for 11 years of marriage this June! :smiley:

oh no, sorry to hear your wife can’t sleep on your mattress–hope it gets better.

Thanks Phoenix,
I will definitely post about my experience! So looking forward to meeting Tom & his crew.
Thanks for the info about that latex mattress.

Vicky,

Yes, we only consulted via phone. We actually made the drive to Royal, which was much longer than 25 minutes, but due to unforeseen weather issues, our plans to try the beds out in person were foiled. Tom did everything in his power to help minimize our difficulties with that and bent over backwards to try to meet our needs without another long drive. Had the drive been shorter, I certainly would have made another effort to visit.

I would not recommend that anyone use a phone consultation to substitute for an actual visit unless there are extenuating circumstances. Again, that worked out quite well for us, but I would prefer an actual store visit for future purchases–regardless of the vendor. Tom made a great educated guess for us, but I doubt that he is infallible. If I were as close as you are, I certainly would visit.

Well, it seems as if you can leave your husband at home while you shop, after all :slight_smile:

Happy hunting!