Novosbed Aria or Harmony?

HI all! I have to say again what an incredible resource this site, forum, and Phoenix have been. Thank you!

I had an “original” 10" Tempur-Pedic mattress that we slept on for 12 years and it was the “magic bullet” that helped my back pain. Eventually, it softened up and wore out and stopped supporting us and I ended up with new pains all over again. After that, over the last 2 years or so, we went through a latex bed and a memory foam bed from the Healthy Back store (more details in my other posts if you are really curious) but they had problems breaking down quickly (months) and were never right for us. For the last 18 months or so we have used a Sleep EZ 10000 latex bed and it has also not held up well, and is not comfortable to us. After doing some research here and going to various stores and spending hours on different beds we think we want to try a Novosbed Aria or Harmony. We aren’t sure which.

That is where we need help. I was able to try the TP Cloud Supreme and Supreme Breeze and we liked them. Supposedly the Aria is supposed to match up to those well. However several posters here have said the Aria and Harmony both are much firmer than expected. The Aria has higher density memory foam and would (probably?) hold up better in the long run. We’ve had such terrible experiences with materials breaking down and softening up that it makes it very tempting. I’ve read here about the break-in periods and what to expect. It just seems to confirm that in the long haul, I might be happier with the Aria. However, I sleep very hot and my wife likes to snuggle right up to me. The Harmony is less dense materials and supposedly softer, and it has the gel feature that should help with the sleeping hot. I think I also read a post from Phoenix somewhere talking about gel foam’s ability to resist further “sinking” over the course of the night as it heats up. My fear is that it will be too soft, or get too soft after the first year or so. We are both side sleepers, 5’7" 160lb and 5’3" 135lb. Like I said, we are often right in the middle together. She is curvy and carries a substantial part of her weight in the hips. Her complaint in plusher beds with thick comfort layers has been hip sway: where it feels like she is going to roll backwards onto her back and she fights that feeling all night to stay on her side.

I know that only we can decide, but I was hoping someone had some insight for us or maybe a piece of information we didn’t have or consider. There is probably too much information above, but if you have a question that might help please ask! I do plan to get a new foundation with a new mattress, probably direct from Novosbed unless someone knows of a smarter option.

TIA!

Hi BigWind,

Neither one of these mattresses would be similar to the Tempurpedic “original” which was probably firmer than either of the mattresses you are considering.

The layers of the Tempurpedic original were …

2.8" of 5.3 lb memory foam
5" polyfoam support core (which I believe was 2.2 lbs).

Since this is only 8" thick and was sold before you purchased your mattress this probably isn’t the one you owned.

The Tempurpedic Original was replaced by the Tempurpedic Classic which was similar to the original and contained the following layers …

0.8" TEMPUR 5.3 lb memory foam — Softer formula for enhanced responsiveness
2.8" TEMPUR 5.3 lb memory foam
5" AirFlow System 2.2 lb base layer

They also introduced the Tempurpedic Deluxebed that was sold at the same time which was a little softer and contained …

1.2" 5.3 lb TEMPUR comfort layer
2.8" 5.3 lb TEMPUR support layer
two 3" Airflow Base layers - 2.2 lb density

Since this one is 10" … I would suspect that this is the mattress you had.

I believe that their current Contour Supreme would probably be firmer (it’s rated as firm) and uses …

1.2" of 5.3 lb memory foam
2.4" of 5.3 lb memory foam
3" 2.o lb polyfoam
5" 2.0 lbpolyfoam base layer

The Contour Elite would probably be somewhat similar (it’s medium firm) and I believe uses …

1.2" Tempur HD 7.1 LB
2.3" Tempur Material 5.3 LB
4.5" Airflow Base layer 2.0 LB
4.5" Airflow Base layer 2.0 LB

The Rhapsody may also be similar (it’s also rated as medium firm but is a little softer than the Elite) which uses …

1.2" TEMPUR-HD 7.1 LB Comfort layer
2.8" TEMPUR Support layer 5.3lb
4" 2.2lb Convoluted foam
4" 2.2lb Convoluted foam

These would all have a different feel and firmness level because of the differences in the designs but in comparing these to some of the mattresses that you have tried over the last few years they would probably all be softer than the Tempurpedic you owned and at least some of the issues you have had over the last few years with different mattresses may be more closely connected to choosing mattresses that are softer than the Tempurpedic that worked well for you. Sometimes what you “like” may be different from what your body “needs”.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked that they are familiar with, any special considerations you may have, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs or firmness options to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or even to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else.

Having said that … the Novosbed Classic is comparable with the Tempurpedic Contour Elite which may be a little softer than the Tempurpedic you slept on previously but it would likely be the closest out of the mattresses that they carry.

The Novosbed Aria would be comparable to the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme which would be softer than your previous Tempurpedic mattress (all of the Cloud line contain 4 lb memory foam which would be softer than the Tempurpedic Deluxebed).

The Harmony would be comparable to the Sealy Optimum Elation Gold which would be softer yet.

NOTE ADDED JAN, 2016: They have now introduced their new simplified choice mattress which has replaced their previous models and have also become a member of this site.

It may be worthwhile doing some very careful testing on the Tempurpedic Elite and on the Rhapsody in the stores to see if they are a good “match” for you in terms of PPP or seem to be close to the Tempurpedic you slept on before deciding on an online memory foam mattress that may still be too soft for you.

Based on your feedback I think that it’s very likely that you may have been choosing mattresses that are either too soft or are “on the edge” of being too soft for you so that even a very small amount of foam softening has been enough to take you “over the edge” and put you outside the comfort/support range that may be suitable for you (see post #2 here).

If I was in your shoes and based on your previous experience and feedback … I would tend to make choices that are a little firmer

Phoenix

Wow. Thanks for making it easy :wink:

Exactly the feedback I was hoping for, but enough to rock me back on my heels a bit. So I guess I should have been a bit clearer on the old TP bed. I’m guessing at the 10". It might have been 8". I’ll certainly update with exacts when I get home. Re: the firmness I wasn’t sure if our bodies had just changed over the years (we got a bit heavier) or what. The firmer beds certainly don’t “feel” as comfortable in initial tests, but I haven’t had one overnight so maybe that is the problem.

We did try a Cloud Supreme and liked it (for 15 minutes though right?). We couldn’t find a Sealy Optimum Elation Gold (didn’t look that hard though).

We’ll go spend some time testing out more of the firmer options we all but ignored, like the Contour Select and Elite. We’ll also reach out to Novosbed for their advice. I think the Harmony is out.

Thanks again! I’ll post an update when I have one.

So the Tempur-pedic was purchased in 02/2000, is exactly 8", and has exactly the layer layout that you list for the Tempur-pedic Classic. There is no doubt that is what I have.

We’ll go try some of the firmer beds you list. Thanks!

Hi BigWind,

If your Tempurpedic mattress still has the law tag it should tell you which mattress it was. Otherwise the height would probably be the best way to tell.

If you test a mattress very carefully (and hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) and you are testing for more than the more subjective “comfort” or the “showroom feel” of a mattress then in “most” cases and for “most” people it would end up being “close enough” to your actual sleeping experience that only relatively minor find tuning may be necessary if anything is necessary at all (see post #4 here) but for those that have have some history of having difficulty in finding a mattress that “works” or have more challenging circumstances (such as health or back issues or an unusual body type) then the odds of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for would be higher and the return policy can be a much more important part of the value of a mattress purchase.

Phoenix

PS: I see we were posting at the same time and I missed your last post in my reply. If your old Tempurpedic mattress was the Classic then a firmer mattress would certainly seem like a good idea and the firmer Tempurpedic Contour Supreme may be an even better reference point that would also be well worth some careful testing.

We just did some quick testing on the Contour Elite and Cloud Supreme. (Who comes up with these names?). Just subjective “feel” testing. We plan to go when we have more time to really put your guidelines to work. I liked them both. I was completely fine with the Contour Elite (and the Rhapsody and some other “firmer” TP they had) and the Cloud Supreme. My wife liked the Cloud Supreme and Supreme Breeze the best, She thought the others were not so comfortable, but she remembers we hated the original TP the first weeks we had it.

Hi BigWind,

When you go back to test them I would make sure that you spend enough time for the memory foam to warm up with your body heat so that you have a better sense of how it will feel over the course of the night. This can be especially important with higher density and slower responding memory foam.

Phoenix

So I’m all but convinced to try the Classic. My wife talked to them a bit and they said the Classic would be changing, but not how. We can still get the current Classic in queen but we were thinking about upgrading to king. I tried to call but they aren’t open weekends. Bummer. I’m curious about the Sonata. Supposedly it was their “firm” 4 lb gel foam, which sounds very interesting to me as a hot sleeper looking at the Classic. They stopped selling it. Anyone know why? Anyone have one that can say how it has held up? TIA!

I have the Harmony in king size.This is subjective,but to me,it is a tad firm for me.It is their softest bed,but close to the cloud supreme in feel.I have added a 2 inch dreamfoam 5 lb. memory foam topper to it,and it works better for me.I like a soft feel to the mattress.Without the topper it doesn’t sleep hot at all to me.Hope this helps and doesn’t confuse you.I am 6 ft. 175 lbs.

Hi jleech,

I don’t know why they are changing it but they would be the most reliable source of this type of information anyway.

I would also keep in mind that if you aren’t able to find a relatively large number of people that have had a specific mattress for at least 5 years that also identify their particular body type and sleeping style that online reviews really won’t tell you much if anything about the durability or useful life of a mattress that uses good quality materials that would be relative to your own personal experience.

In terms of durability … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials and components inside it (regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label) and the most reliable way to assess the durability of a mattress or to identify any weak links in the design is by using the quality/durability guidelines in post #4 here.

A mattress that would be a durable choice for one person that could last them for many years may not last nearly as long for someone else (in some cases even a few years or less) depending on the many variables involved. There is also much more detailed information about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here as well.

Phoenix

NOTE ADDED JAN, 2016: They have now introduced their new simplified choice mattress which has replaced their previous models and have also become a member of this site.

I cannot help as far as how the harmony will hold up.I have only had the mattress for 3 months,and I am still in the trial period.If I keep it,I will try to get back in a year and then 2-3 years and give a review of the harmony mattress.

Hi guys! My wife has picked up the torch and is doing her own research. She’s talked to Novosbed and the “new” Classic is going to have some changes to the core for better airflow and might feel a tad softer. No new gel option or anything like that. It’s going to be available in a few weeks in queen. Unfortunately I’m not willing to wait, and I’m also the type of person not willing to buy “last year’s model” for near a grand.

My wife suggested the Tuft & Needle 10. I just read the 34 page T&N Diary thread and I’m thinking it is a good fit. Certainly a no-risk purchase (like Novosbed) and it would be and much cheaper plus I can get it quicker. We’ll probably pull the trigger in the morning. Hopefully it won’t ‘hurt’ to try it!

I’ll post to that thread and here if we buy it. Thanks all!

Hi BigWind,

It’s unfortunate that the new Classic won’t be available in time for you. While in the world of mattresses “this years model” may not be any better than “last years model” in terms of comfort and PPP (just like the Tempurpedic classic that you slept well on may be a better “match” for you than their current models) … I do understand the sentiment.

You’ve probably seen this already and the information there is probably redundant if you’ve read the whole Tuft & Needle topic but there is more about Tuft & Needle and some of the other “simplified choice” mattresses in post #2 in this topic. It certainly uses good quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the design but it would also be a significant change in “feel” from a memory foam mattress to a polyfoam mattress. Like Novosbed it also has a great return policy as well so you can test it in your bedroom instead of a showroom.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding once you pull the trigger.

Phoenix

My wife ordered the T&N 10 today. We’re expecting the different feel. Nothing else we can really do but try it! We should have it this week before we leave town for a week. It’ll give it a week to “air out”. I’ll post more to the “Diary” when we get it. Thanks for all the help!

Hi BigWind,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback in the other topic about how you like it once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out for a bit.

Phoenix

Just wanted to chime in on this particular topic as I’m currently looking at Novosbed Classic vs Aria. Earlier today I spoke with Novosbed and the Classic model is now more comparable to the TempurPedic Cloud Prima. Another words, based on her input, while the Classic used to be on the firmest side of Novosbed mattresses it has been softened a bit to fit more in the medium-firm range. Although…I don’t recall the Cloud Prima being classified as medium firm.? Anyone have input on the new changes at Novosbed?

Hi petenice00,

There are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would include Novosbed) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new).

The Novosbed classic uses 2" of 4 lb memory foam on top of 2" of 5 lb memory foam on top of a 9" 1.8 lb polyfoam support core so as long as you aren’t in a higher than average weight range (more than the lower 200’s or so) it meets the quality/durability guidelines here and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would negatively affect the durability or useful life of the mattress.

In the end the only way to know whether any mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP will be based on your own personal experience but Novosbed has a great return/refund policy that includes free return shipping so you can test their mattresses in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk outside of the time you spent trying the mattress or returning it.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix

After a stop at a local mattress store and trying out the Cloud Prima I instantly realized it wasn’t well suited for my preferences. And even though it is rated as medium (maybe even notch below medium towards the softer range), you are right to point out those are relative comparisons. Another words I won’t hold novosbed rep too literally to the comparison especially since I didn’t care for the Prima.

Instead I will focus on a mattress that feels more like the Rhapsody and can certainly use some help identifying comparable options .

Hi petenice00,

The tutorial post includes a link to a list of some of the better online memory foam manufacturers/retailers that I’m aware of (in the optional online step) and several of them make memory foam mattresses that are designed to approximate many of the Tempurpedic mattresses either in terms of firmness and feel and/or in terms of the quality/durability of the materials that are in much lower budget ranges than the equivalent Tempurpedic mattresses.

I would keep in mind though that while they may be “good approximations” … they won’t be an “exact match” in terms of how they feel because if two mattresses don’t use the exactly same materials and the same design (which is unlikely) then they can have some differences between them that some people may notice more than others. Most online memory foam manufacturers or retailers will be familiar with the Tempurpedic lineup and would be able to tell you which of their memory foam mattresses would be the closest approximation to any of the Tempurpedic models and some of them also include a specific Tempurpedic mattress in their description that would be the closest approximation to their mattress.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are close to you as well.

Phoenix