Novosbed reviews

Hi Novosbed,

Thank you for taking the time to monitor the forum and respond directly to SergeSurge’s comments!

Phoenix

Serge, I’m surprised the topper that was provided to you was not memory foam, especially if you’re trying to soften the mattress. Did they specify what type of foam the topper was made out of?

Hi SleepyAl,

The design of the Novosbed Comfort+ system is such that they use a high-density polyfoam that provides a softer overall top comfort for this application. They actually explained this in a previous post:

You are right that the Comfort+ is a non-memory foam. This is a very deliberate design choice driven by reams of test data. The short explanation as to why we approach it like this is that it’s most effective to modify the firmness of a mattress with elastic-only foam. Where the response of elastic foam is purely elastic, the response from memory foam is a combination of elastic and viscosity. Given that we only have 2" to work with, we find that adding an additional viscosity component to the mattress can reduce the efficacy of the Comfort+ layer. You will find, should you adjust the firmness with a Comfort+, that you will still get the memory foam response, but that it will be noticeably firmer or softer (depending on which you choose).

Phoenix

First, I’d like to thank Novosbed for replying to my message in detail. I really appreciate it. I did not know that polyfoam in Comfort+ was a deliberate choice based on research. It definitely makes me more confident in possibly trying it out.

Second, I wanted to update on my experience with Novosbed. After emailing the company about my potentially defective mattress, they quickly confirmed it and arranged for a replacement and old mattress pickup. The best part is that I was able to get a firm version instead of the medium one I had previously. Also, they assured me the replacement mattress would have a new 120-day trial, which is awesome.

Having gotten the firm Novosbed and put it on the non-flexible slats, the bed is definitely very firm. I’m even starting to think it might be too firm for me. The first night I did wake up with pain in my back and neck but I think it might be due to my high pillow. Experimenting with different pillows now :slight_smile: I’m definitely gonna try out the new mattress and let it break in properly before making any further decisions. It is possible that I will order the Comfort+ to soften it up a bit.

Boy, I wish how much went into being comfortable in your bed! Not only do you have to worry about the mattress itself but also about the mattress support (flexible vs non-flexible, breathable, proper distance between slats, etc) and pillows for proper spine alignment. It’s absolutely crazy and I feel a bit bad being so picky and trying several mattresses and returning them. I do care about the environment and don’t want all those mattresses to go to waste (which is what happens in NYC as far as I understand). The good news is that Novosbed seems to be very accommodating and I’m sure they deal with pickier people all the time. I just really hope I don’t have to return and buy any more mattresses :slight_smile:

Also, out of curiosity, why does Novosbed medium have 5lb density foam in the comfort layer and the firm version has 4lb density foam? I’m sure it was a deliberate choice but it does seem counterintuitive. Would be curious to find out.

Hi SergeSurge,

Thanks for your update!

I’m glad that Novosbed was able to get you another product. The new firm model that you received will certainly break-in over time, especially after the first 30 days, so hopefully after that time the mattress has adjusted a bit to you and you’ve also adjusted a bit to the mattress. Of course, you always have the option of the Comfort+ should you need a little extra plushness.

You are correct that your pillow may very well be the issue now for your cervical/upper thoracic region. A firmer mattress will usually not allow you to sink in quite as much, effectively making your pillow sleep a little thicker than it would in a softer mattress. So, you’ll definitely want to do some experimenting with you pillow to make sure that it isn’t too thick for your preferred sleeping posture. There’s some good information about pillows here.

Let us know about you progress with this new mattress after you’ve had a chance to sleep on it for a while and allow it to break in.

Phoenix

Hi SergeSurge,

Remember that density and firmness aren’t necessarily correlated. Memory foam is unique in that all of it is considered “soft”, and it’s more the “range of soft” that a particular layer falls into that would be a better descriptor.

While the research used to create the specific comfort layers Novosbed uses in their mattresses is of course proprietary, as is the formulation of the different memory foams they use, in general one of the strangest things about memory foam is that the higher density foams … even those that feel firmer and more “stiff” with lower temperatures (and which people may call too hard or feel like it traps them) can also be the most pressure relieving once they have enough time to take on the shape of the body and redistribute the body weight. The more of the heavier chemicals there are in foam that give it more viscosity, the more it can conform more precisely to the shape of your body. The problem is that it may take more time to get there and to change into a new shape if you move so people often don’t like the feeling of firmness and motion restriction even though it may be more pressure relieving. So in effect … the firmer higher density foams (or at least the ones that take longer to get softer) are the most pressure relieving once they take on your shape but are slow to conform to a new shape when you change position or when they are colder so they can feel firmer. So, in effect, a mattress could use a less dense memory foam in an upper layer which would “expose” you sooner to the deep down feel of the firmer support polyfoam core, which could ultimately create a mattress that overall feels firmer.

Phoenix

Hello,

I’m glad I found this forum and this review topic. I ordered the Novosbed King medium firm on Thursday. I live in Montreal, QC and got it delivered Friday afternoon, which is extremely fast. So the delivery experience was great. Only downside is that, I was expecting Fedex to deliver (tracking number with Fedex) but then “Discount” company delivered and they were like “if the client doesn’t help us move the mattress out of the truck, we will return it to Fedex”. Anyhow, they placed the box in my garage and later on I asked a friend to help me take the box upstairs. It’s a very heavy box so make sure you have someone to help and it will still be heavy.

The mattress took full shape in like 3-4 hours, it does have a slight smell but it’s nothing serious, I believe this is normal and I expect it to go away in few days. I didn’t yet try sleeping on it, so I will report my findings when I do.

Again, thank you all for sharing your honest opinions which helped me decide on purchasing this brand.

Hi tonybat,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! And congratulations on your new mattress! :cheer: You certainly made a good quality/value choice.

Regarding your delivery, I’m not sure why it was delivered by another company, as FedEx is specified on their site, so you may want to let them know about that. Delivery of these items is usually “threshold” – to the door. Some companies will offer you a White Glove service (for an extra fee) where the delivery team will bring the item into your master bedroom and even unwrap it. Novosbed’s normal delivery method is the FedEx Ground which would be to your door/garage.

Your odor comment is also normal and as you mentioned it will dissipate in a few days.

I’m looking forward to your comments on your new mattress once you’ve had a chance to sleep on it a while. Congratulations again.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for replying! Yes I was also surprised as I was expecting Fedex to deliver. The company that delivered the mattress to my garage is the following: https://www.discountcar.com/

I look forward to test the mattress and share my feedback with others. I know the mattress needs time to break-in so I will take this into consideration, and I will try to provide several updates (maybe once every week or so). I like to help others and I believe in the power of communication so expect more feedback from me.

Thank you!
Tony

Hi tonybat,

Sounds great!

Phoenix

I think they might be legit. I hate having to sign up to something such as a one time use mattress site to respond. To your point, I have been researching mattresses for some time now and am finding a ton of fake reviews. While the one you mention may be legit, it sends a message of caution. I have seen slightly inaccurate phrasing in some mattress reviews, such as “Better Mattress for You” and terms we do not use/idioms. Also incorrect spellings. One might think it is a typo until one sees the same typo on several blogs. Most point to amazon mattresses or links to purchase but do so under the guise of being an independent blogger. This is going on and not noticeable unless one reads the entire blog but it is there. I think it is the latest thing–what do people do before making a purchase–they check reviews, blogs, opinions. So if fake blogs are created, sales are made. While the aforementioned site may have been legit, there are plenty that are not. Also, if one gets money every time an ad is clicked, there is a conflict-of-interest because one is not recused from any kind of incentive. I went to purchase a Novosbed but was disheartened when the price actually went up $100, so I will personally take my business elsewhere. But, it looks pretty good otherwise.

Hi tonybat,

I’m glad to hear that you received your Novosbed so fast. Discount Car is a 3rd party carrier that FED/EX uses for certain areas, or at times of high delivery volume. Was their conduct unhelpful or rude? If so, we will investigate.

Warmest regards,
Novosbed

Hi Misterm,

First off - if you noticed prices going up by $100, then it’s possible that “cookies” in your browser have not functioned properly. If you are still interested in purchasing a Novosbed then you can either do so without the discount, and we will reimburse you later, or contact us to purchase over the phone, at which time we’ll apply the discount.

As for reviews: Novosbed takes extreme care and attention to ensure that all public discourse about our company is honest and true. Despite this, there are numerous websites out there with considerable financial incentive to steer consumers into buying one product or another, and advice from these sources should be weighed accordingly. Idioms/strange expressions are likely being used for search engine optimization.

Good luck!
Novosbed

Hi misterm,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m not quite sure what you’re referring to as far as who “might be legit”, so I’m sorry that I can’t comment upon that. As for registering, this is a moderated forum with rules of conduct, so registering is a requirement of participation.

You do bring up some excellent points about the marketing that purports to be mattress research online and the real reason behind many of these sites simply to get click-throughs and drive sales, with many of the sites simply repeating information from those manufacturer’s web sites. You can see my comments about many of the so called “review sites” which are really just revenue sites that know little about mattresses or mattress materials) in post #11 here and in posts #4 and #6 here.

See the reply below from Novosbed regarding clearing the cookies from your browser to fix that error, or for alternate methods of purchasing a mattress from them.

Phoenix

Hi Novosbed,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to tonybat.

And “ditto” to your comments about weighing mattress buying “advice” accordingly. Very well said.

Phoenix

Hello Novosbed!

Sorry for my late response. The carrier was fine so no need to escalate the issue.

I’ve been sleeping on the bed for a month now, and I am having an issue with back-pain, whether I sleep on my back or on the side (I’m a side sleeper), when I wake up in the morning, I feel pain in my back, that goes away an hour after but this has been happening non stop now. My wife doesn’t have this problem, she likes the mattress but I’m not sure why I have this back-pain.

I purchased the King Medium-Firm version. The issue is, I’m not sure if this back-pain could be solved with a firmer or softer mattress and I have no idea how I can tell. I know I can order the iComfort+ kit from Novosbed, but I don’t know which version would help (the softer or firmer)… Moreover, my wife told me that this kit will make the mattress thicker which could create us a problem since our kid sleep with us and she is worried if she gets down from a mattress that is too high.

This leaves us with the following option and I need your opinion on it, if possible: would it be possible to try both a firm and soft iComfort+ kit, so I can tell what is causing the back-pain, and then, if I find out the one that works for me, I either return the kit that I don’t need (for example if the firmer kit works, I keep it and return the soft and vice-versa) or, if my wife really doesn’t like the new thickness of the mattress and one of the kits works for me, I then return the mattress and the kits and buy a new mattress that would be either softer or thicker, based on the tests that I will do.

I hope you would be able to provide some insight on this, so I know how to proceed from here. I read great reviews on the customer service that you have so I’m being openly honest about my situation.

Thank you in advance!
Tony

Hi tonybat,

I know that Novosbed monitors this forum frequently, but I’m not sure how quickly they will see your post. Additionally, they can’t identify your purchase through your Mattress Underground handle. I think a more appropriate channel to get the best and most complete service (as you don’t want your private information presented on a very public forum), would be to phone their customer support and reference this post.

1-877-496-3626
[email protected]

And I look forward to learning of any changes, if any, you make to your current mattress configuration, and the results (which I hope are positive:) ).

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for responding. I called Novosbed and explained my situation, they said they only ship one Comfort + kit per client. They recommended the “Soft” version (I followed their recommendation). However, I did ask them if it would be possible to test the “Firm” version, if the soft one doesn’t work for us, but they said it’s not possible since only one Comfort + kit is allowed per order, and I can’t return/exchange it. In other words, if the Comfort + soft doesn’t work for us, we have to return the mattress and maybe re-order the mattress again, which I won’t be doing.

So I hope the Comfort + Soft kit will work for us (we should receive it this week, then we will allow ourselves around 2-3 weeks to test it out), we will eventually return the mattress and we will not take the risk of ordering a new one.

I would have hoped that Novosbed would be more flexible in our situation in a regards where, if the Comfort + soft kit (which they recommended) doesn’t work for us, we can request the Firm version of the kit and test it. At least in this case, there is a chance for us to keep the mattress.

I will update my feedback as soon as we receive the comfort + soft, and test it. I had higher expectations of this mattress and now I have so-so feelings.

Thank you!
Tony

Hi tonybat,

Thanks for the update. I’m glad you phoned them and they’re sending you out a Comfort+ kit.

When mattress companies do offer exchanges or adjustments to their products, it is usually only one within a trial period, usually limiting this to one per client or one per a defined time frame, such as per year. In this case, they’re sending an adjustment kit at no charge, using their best guidance based upon your feedback and their experience as to what they think might best work for you. While it certainly would be nice to have multiple options sent out for testing :slight_smile: , building that much into the price that everyone would have to pay isn’t generally part of an economically competitive business model. At least you are getting a “second chance” to test out this product and still be able to return it for a refund, where in many “simplified choice” mattresses you’d have no option to change the feel of the product and you’d already have returned it. I understand looking at this as a “negative” that you’re not getting an extra two choices to pair with your current mattress, but I would still look at it as a “positive” that you’re at least getting one extra option to see if you can find comfort with your mattress choice. I do hope the kits works well for you, but if it doesn’t you at least did have the foresight to choose something that does allow for a return.

Good luck!

Phoenix