NW Sleep

Northwest Sleep in Vancouver sells a variety of latex mattresses. I believe some of them are actually Parklane, which you highly recommend. I was wondering if you can share with me your opinions on their different latex mattress models. Anything glaring good or bad that you see?

The McKenzie and Whistler are both firm mattresses (we are looking for firmer mattresses but we’ll need to try it out). One is Dunlop and the other Talalay. Rogue uses Talalay Latex Talatech (85% natural) and is a medium. The Vale looks more luxurious and has an euro pillow top. I wonder if this model should be avoided just like other pillowtops? Any ideas on how these mattresses compare to ones made by Renelle?

Hi Goosey,

You can see my comments about Northwest Sleep in this thread

Their mattresses are made by Parklane but they are not connected to the company.

They have some high quality/value mattresses and there isn’t anything that I would be cautious about in terms of their quality or value but of course only your own personal testing for PPP can tell which would be the most suitable choice for you.

Pillowtops that use high quality materials like latex would not have the same issues as the more common pillowtops that you see in the mainstream industry that tend to use lower quality polyfoam. The biggest issue with most pillowtops isn’t the pillowtop style of the mattress but the use of lower quality materials that will soften and break down more quickly.

I think highly of both manufacturers and both make high quality mattresses that would be good choices. Meaningful comparisons can only really be made on a mattress by mattress basis though regardless of the manufacturer. Renelle and Northwest Sleep both have many mattresses with different designs and components and to make meaningful comparisons between two specific mattresses you would need to test both of them in terms of PPP (which is the most important part of a mattress purchase) and then compare them based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

If you list the layers and components of a mattress you are considering on the forum (from top to bottom) and your feedback and experience when you tested them for PPP I’d be happy to share any thoughts about their quality or any potential weak links in the mattress but neither manufacturer would have any obvious weak links in any of their mattresses I’m aware of.

Phoenix