NXTBED.COM

PS to query about the elderly parents. Has anyone used this company? Heard of this company? I think it’s the next itiration of Custom Sleep Design.

Hi MaisieNellie,

There hasn’t been any feedback on the forum about them yet since they are quite new but as you mentioned they are the same basic design as the mattresses that were made by Custom Sleep Design before they ran into financial difficulties and had to close their business a few years ago (although they are also in a higher budget range than they were previously as well).

I know they had been working on “bringing back” their business with better financial support and backing for quite some time so it’s good to see that they are back in business (under a new name) and I’m hopeful that they don’t experience the same difficulties that they did previously. There is more in this topic and in this topic about some of the challenges they had with their previous business.

Two of the principles of the company (Bob and Bernie) are the same as Custom Sleep Design and Maureen Coffey also used to work with Custom Sleep Design previously as well. They certainly are knowledgeable and experienced when it comes to latex and latex mattresses.

I also like the designs of their mattresses and how they can “customize” their design (and their zoning configurations) to the specific needs and preferences of different people (see post #8 here) although of course in these higher budget ranges I would also make some careful “value” comparisons with other mattresses as well.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix,
I was wondering who you would suggest I compare them too quality-wise at a lower price point ? I really like the customizability that they offer. But I am hoping to get my mother into a store to actually experience a mattress…

Hi MaisieNellie,

That would depend on how you are defining “quality”. While it’s very unlikely that you will find another mattress with the same design or configuration … any latex mattress will be similar to other latex mattress in terms of durability and all else being equal … mattresses that use less latex or less costly types and blends of latex or have a less sophisticated design will generally have a lower price point than mattresses that use more latex or more costly versions of latex or have a more sophisticated design even though they may be the same quality and closely comparable in terms of durability (although of course there can also be significant differences between different retailers and manufacturers for similar mattresses as well). There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

In other words … the suitability of a mattress in terms of PPP and how well someone will sleep on it and the quality and durability of the materials are completely separate things.

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could possibly keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the lists is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with or visit anyway. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of mattresses that you are interested in testing that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones that you are most interested in visiting or considering based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

If you are also considering online options then there are many high quality/value latex and latex hybrid options available in the list of online members that is linked in the optional online step in the tutorial.

Phoenix