Old bed guy recommended CPR bed, which we liked..but

The salesman said it does not have any give and we need the mattress to bend just a bit to fit up the stairs. We liked the St. Regis and/or the Powercore 5000, both on the firmer side. Can you recommend another mattress that is similar yet has a bit of give to get it up the stairs? Thank you in advance.

Hi jwjojo,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, it would be an impossibility for any one person to maintain a listing of the tens of thousands of mattresses produced domestically and have a database of the specifications of each model (much of which isn’t shared by many manufacturers) and relate what might be available that is “similar” to what you’re trying to match in an ever-changing environment. And I also wouldn’t have knowledge of the level of flexibility of each item – that is a question best left to the specific retailer or something that you could test in person.

However, there is information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be fairly unlikely), then there really isn’t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place).

When comparing mattresses, you would want to begin by learning the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase. You could then use this as a guideline of attempting to find an item approximating what you are attempting to replicate. Of course, nothing can replace your own personal testing in a showroom and also it would allow you to test for the level of flexibility that you might need, so in this case you might be best served by staying more local in your comparisons.

If you like, you can read more about Charles P Rogers in post #34 here (and the rest of the topic) and in this topic and this topic as well and a forum search on Charles P Rogers (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well. There have been some “bits and pieces” of specifications provided to site members before on their mattresses (and some have had some good quality materials), but some of it has been conflicting and some of it is a few years old, so just to be safe you’d want to confirm the specifications of any model you were considering or trying to replicate. You can also read a bit more about TOBG here, and gather a bit of information that might explain why CPR is so highly recommended on his site.

Phoenix

thank you for your response. We are now looking at latex mattresses but I cannot find a local retailer to try one. We are in Northern NJ. I am also looking at the options that you recommend. For a stomach sleeper who prefers a firmer mattress, do you have any rec. on the layers ie dunlap/talalay combo? Do you recommend latex firm for a stomach sleeper? I think you do :slight_smile: Thank you in advance.

Hi jwjojo,

The closest site members who carry latex mattresses I found to your location are:
Comfort Sleep Systems in Branford, CT.
Nest Bedding in NYC.
Scott Jordan Furniture in NYC.
Shovlin Mattress Factory in Fanwood, NJ.
Urban Natural Home Furnishings in Paramus, NJ.

While I don’t keep track of the specific items (i.e., latex) that other retailers might have on the floor, in northern New Jersey you may wish to look at either the Monroe Township/Newark list in post #7 here or the New York City list in post #2 here.

If you are not staying local with your purchase, you may wish to look online and use the experience and expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

Yes, for someone sleeping in the prone (stomach) position, something with a firmer surface comfort and better deep support is generally advised. Post #2 here has some generic guidelines for different body types and sleeping positions.

Phoenix

Thank you again for your response. I will try to get to some of these stores. I have a feeling I know your answer but I will try…PLS just tell me what you would purchase as a stomach sleeper that prefers a firm mattress with under 30bmi for both sleepers. We need a mattress that has a bit of give so it will fit up our stairs…queen. You will have my eternal thanks :slight_smile:

Hi jwjojo,

Yes, you already know the answer. :slight_smile:

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved in choosing a mattress for someone else to make specific suggestions based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or theory at a distance that can possible be more accurate than your own careful and objective testing (using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) which is always the most reliable way to predict which mattress will be the best match for you in terms of PPP (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

If you’re also considering a new foundation, you may need to order a split queen version to accommodate your stairway issue.

Phoenix

Yes, thank you. We already have a split queen foundation. I will try the Nest bed soon…I was recommended to try the Alexander Hybrid by the rep on the phone.

Hi jwjojo,

Good luck with your visit. I would recommend to try the Alexander Signature Hybrid in the Luxury Firm version if available for prone sleeping. You may also wish to try the Q3 Nest Bedding Latex Mattress while you are there in the firm configuration as well, as you mentioned yo were potentially considering a latex product.

Phoenix