Old fat guy needs your advice on firmness of an Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex Mattress

Frankly I’m just “researched-out” I’ve been reading and reading and reading till I’m glassy eyed. I’ve changed my mind 4 or 5 times because when I think I’ve finally decided, I find what seems like a better mattress I hadn’t known about before. I’ve finally (I think) settled on the Cal King Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex Mattress. But . . . there’s this nagging feeling “is this really the one?”

I’m an old fat guy (think Jabba the Hut) at 350+ - otherwise known as the “Mattress Destroyer” with a really bad back. I need firmness in a mattress but that won’t encourage bed sores. I understand that this mattress has an interchangeable “Euro-Top” in case I order it too firm or too soft - I can buy a different “top” for it. Do I have that correctly? That sounds like a great idea!

So now to the firmness challenge. I don’t even know how to ask the question. Seems this is such a subjective thing - how can anyone advise me? I spoke with Chuck (very helpful - it’s easy to like this guy) but there are some questions I forgot to ask and I haven’t been able to get through to him again. Maybe I should just buy it and wait for the email about what firmness the top should be but I’m wondering, among other things, if a gel foam top is available and if it is do I really need it. I’m a side sleeper and even though I’m on a (very bad) waterbed I wake up with sore hips.

If you’re a big person like me and have experience with this mattress I’d very much appreciate you feedback.

Thanks for your response!

Jim

Have you considered shopping with Brooklyn Bedding. They (Carlos) are always on chat and would be more then happy to help and answer all your questions. Consider the the 12" Bamboo Bliss this one is a close comparison in qaulity, cost, and materials. Actually the Bamboo Bliss is a notch up considering the “makers” have included a higher quality Core (2.17lb Poly). Then there is the Aloe Adele wich has an additianal comfort later and is 14 inches thick allowing you to dial in your level of comfort.

Hi moemoe,

I would also suggest considering a mattress with thicker layers of latex and a higher density base foam both of which may be more suitable for higher weights. Posts #7 - #9 here from a day or two ago is also about similar circumstances and would be well worth reading.

When you can’t test a mattress in person I would always suggest a more detailed conversation with the manufacturer to help you make a firmness choice. They know more about their mattresses than anyone else and are in the best position to help you choose the firmness level with the highest chance of success based on “averages” than anyone (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

As TandL mentioned … Brooklyn Bedding (Dreamfoam’s sister company) can also make a mattress that uses both latex and memory foam in the comfort layers (the Aloe Adele) and they also make a mattress with two layers of latex (the Aloe Alexis). I would also keep in mind as well that memory foam isn’t as durable a material as latex so the tradeoff may be comfort vs durability but with a mattress where you can exchange a layer then it’s always easy to replace a layer that softens or breaks down before the rest of the mattress without having to replace the entire mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for the help and advice!

After reviewing some more and talking to Chuck at Dreamfoam again and then Carlos and Mario at Brooklyn Bedding - I took the plunge and bought the Cal King Aloe Alexis firmness of 5. Carlos said he tries to steer “big folks” (220#+) to the thicker (14") Aloe Alexis. I took his advice.

I should get it and have it set up in about a week. I’ll let you know how it works out.

Hi moemoe,

I think you made a great choice for a larger body type and higher weight in terms of performance, durability, and the options you have available to “fine tune” your mattress after a purchase.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received it.

Phoenix

I have some pictures of mine in my thread if your interested → Here