Omaha Bedding Company

I’m in need of some advice on a particular mattress made be Omaha Bedding Company. Over the weekend we went mattress shopping at Nebraska Furniture Mart and I noticed some mattresses made by OBC. I seem to remember a few people on this forum liking this brand but I wanted to double check before making a purchase. The link below is the mattress we’re thinking about buying.

http://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?productid=40226334

A couple questions.

1. It lists the density as 2" of 5lb gel, and 3" of of 5lb visco memory foam. I know from reading this forum that 5lbs is very good, but i’m worried about the base layer. It only says high density base layer but doesn’t tell me what the density is. I asked the sales person and he couldn’t tell me either.

2. Does this mattress have metal coils as a base? I was under the impression it didn’t but the sales person insisted it did.

3. Overall is this a quality mattress for the price (with box springs it should be about $1399)?

4. Does anyone know any other places in the Kansas City area that has quality memory foam mattresses?

Thanks for the help! I’ve learned more about mattresses in my short time reading this forum then I ever thought possible :cheer:

Hi ScottyH18,

If a sales person doesn’t know the answer to a reasonable question you are asking then they should be willing to find out the answer from someone else and let you know. This is their job. While it’s likely that the base foam is suitable quality/density … I would want to know for certain just for the sake of peace of mind.

All I have to go on is the same information that you have but based on their description it says that it has a “High density bottom base layer” and doesn’t look like it has an innerspring to me. If you find out all the information listed here though you will know for sure.

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful comparisons between your finalists. “Value” is always relative to how a mattress compares to the other mattresses you are comparing it to based on PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, ad Personal preferences), the quality of the materials inside it, and on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. It seems reasonable to me but there isn’t a formula that you can use to meaningfully assess the “value” of a mattress purchase based on the raw materials in a mattress.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Kansas City area (subject to the value guidelines I linked earlier) are listed in post #2 here. I don’t know the specifics of the mattresses that each of them carries on their floor so you would need to call them to find out which of them have mattresses that meet your criteria that you would be interested in testing.

Phoenix