OMF innerspring with latex topper

I just purchased an OMF Orthopedic Extra Firm innerspring mattress and want to put a latex topper on it.I am 6’1’',155 lbs,and sleep both on my back and side.I am looking at a 3" natural Dunlop topper made by LATEXCO from Arizona Premium Mattress.It has an ILD of 25.Do you think that would be a good topper for this bed.I have lower back pain,and usually prefer a firm bed,but have started to sleep more on my side lately.

Hi ford1953jimth,

It is certainly a good quality and value topper and in general would make a good topper on top of an extra firm mattress for many people.

You can see the topper guidelines I use in post #8 here. If you are looking for a topper that would provide a fair bit to a lot of extra softness and pressure relief (especially on your side) compared to your mattress alone, and if you are comfortable with and prefer the slightly firmer and denser feel and slightly greater secondary support (the kind of support that fills in the gaps of your sleeping profile) of Dunlop compared to a similar ILD of Talalay, then this would make a very good choice IMO.

Phoenix

Thanks for the info.I had tried both Talalay and Dunlop toppers locally,and preferred the “firmer” feel of the Dunlop.I ordered both the 3" all natural Dunlop topper by Latexco,and the bamboo topper cover from the Arizona Premium Mattress Company on 2/11/2013.They were delivered on 2/21/2013 by UPS.Their website indicated the toppers were first quality,but the one I received had half the holes covered by the skin on the “non-pillow” side.I hope this doesn’t make it sleep hotter due to less air circulation.The “pillow” side was damaged in two places,having the skin torn off.One place was near the corner,about 1" in diameter,and the other was in the center,about 1" by 2" in size.I hope the one in the center doesn’t lead to faster wear.Their website indicated the topper cover was bamboo and cotton,but the tag on the cover only had the word “queen”.No fabric content or care instructions.I let the topper sit out bare for one day because of the smell,and have slept on the topper/mattress combination for the last three nights.This combination has proved very comfortable while sleeping both on my back and side.The mattress is “flippable”,so I can both rotate and flip it,and rotate the topper(the cover is different on the bottom,and the topper has"pillows" on the top)to equalize the wear.Thanks again for your help. Jim

Hi ford1953jimth,

When latex is made as a 6" core it has a skin on all the sides of the layer. If it is cut then the part that is cut doesn’t have this skin. As you can see here the pincores don’t go all the way through a core and which pincores go through a topper or thinner layer depends on where in the core the layer is cut from. The breathability of the latex comes primarily from the cell structure of the foam not from the pincores themselves although of course they can help (even though they are “blocked” when you lie on them).

Again all of this is normal with natural latex which always has imperfections from manufacturing, fabrication and handling. Most people who sell latex will tell you to expect these with natural latex. Their topper page here mentions this as well …

In other words … this sounds perfectly normal to me but if you do have any concerns then you can always take a picture and send it to Ken and ask him about it.

Phoenix

I didn’t realize a 3" topper was cut from a 6" core,I just thought it was molded as a 3" topper.That explains why the number molded into the end was cut in half.Also,I guess I don’t have to worry about the “bad” spot in the center causing any problem,especially since I have it in a cover.Again,thanks for the info,and timely response. Before I did the earlier post,I tried to give some feedback to Ken from my order email,but got a “404” error when I tried to send it.I use a computer at the local library,and it has been having some troubles going to the different websites that Ken has.Ken indicated earlier they were working on some problems with their websites,and I guess not everything is fixed yet. Jim

Hi ford1953jimth,

They were down for a day or two off and on with one of those google warnings when you tried to go to it… As far as I know they’ve fixed it but it may still have some residual issues or some computers may still be “remembering” the IP as having an issue. One of the members here happened to walk in to their store right when it had started and posted about it which is how I found out.

Phoenix

The mattresses.net contact form was directing to an incorrect page when you had filled out the form and hit “Submit.” I emailed the details to Ken, and he says it is fixed as of this morning. I sent a comment in via the form this morning, and it no longer displayed an error.

John

Hi JohnnyO,

I think one of my least favorite hats is my “webmaster hat” and there is nothing more frustrating than when websites that you depend on start having issues … sometimes seemingly out of nowhere.

Thanks for letting us know :slight_smile:

Phoenix