OMF regency sapphire

I currently use a 4 inch queen size 5.3 lb density memory foam topper on a older beautyrest pillowtop mattress, (11YO) I am looking to replace the mattress, but keep the topper, as it is only 2 years old.

2 questions, do we need to replace the boxsprings? it is a split box spring they are about 8 years old and were a replacement for the one piece box spring that came with is the mattress. and would you recommend a firm mattress? We like the memory foam, and we want a firm mattress underneath. but we dont want to pay 3-4 k for a temprepedic. We are looking at the OMF regency sapphire. are there other brands we should look at? we would like to spend under 1k, if possible. Thank you!

Hi mutty62,

That depends on the type of mattress you end up purchasing and on the condition of your box spring. Post #2 here has more about deciding on whether it would be a good idea to keep your box spring or replace it.

Yes … if you are planning to use a 4" memory foam topper on your mattress then it would be a good idea to purchase a mattress that was significantly firmer than what you would normally choose if you were using a mattress by itself with no topper. In a “perfect” world it would be a good idea to test mattresses with your topper on top of them to see which combination was a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) because a topper can feel and perform differently on top of different mattresses but this probably isn’t practical so the best you could do to offset the risk of buying a mattress that was too soft for your topper (which would be risky in terms of support/alignment) would be to buy something that was “very firm” and had little in the way of comfort layers because in effect you are adding your own comfort layer to the mattress.

I don’t recommend “brand shopping” at all because outside of how well a mattress “matches” your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP, a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer (see post #5 here). There are also hundreds of mattress manufacturers across the country and many of the better ones (such as OMF) that are more transparent about the materials they use inside their mattresses are only available locally or regionally so it would depend on where you live.

Having said that … OMF is transparent about the materials they use in their mattresses and in most areas of the country would be good quality/value compared to many of the other options that are available to you.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet I would also make sure you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here so you have the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice. If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Thank you for your response! Based on my research, and our needs, and your imput as well, we are going to go with OMF, now our choice becomes the Regency Sapphire, or the orthopedic ultra firm model!

Hi mutty62,

I would also include OMF as a priority option in most areas of the country where they have a store.

You will need to use “best judgement” about which of these would be most suitable in combination with your memory foam topper in terms of PPP because you won’t be able to test the combination in person (unless you drag your topper into the store :)).

I would also make sure you find out the specifics of the layers inside both of them so you can also compare them in terms of the quality of the materials.

They are also two sided which will make both of them a more durable choice as well (see post #3 here).

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

We have decided on the OMF Otthopedic Luxury Firm, we are going to try it without the topper for awhile, we can always put it back on if we need to. I really like the firmness and the way the box springs are constructed. I will update after 2-3 months to let you know how the mattress is working out.

Hi mutty62,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made a good quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your feedback after you’ve slept on it for a bit.

Phoenix

we have had the OMF OLF mattress for 2 months now… WE LOVE IT! we no longer have any back issues, my wife sleeps like a log. Best mattress I ever had… We even gave our topper to friends!
:woohoo:

Hi mutty62,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update with your comments and feedback … I appreciate it!

It’s great to hear that you and your new mattress are getting along so well :slight_smile:

Phoenix