OMF Serenity Latex vs. Brooklyn Bedding

I’m interested in both of these mattresses; I was able to find a lot of info about them here and am hoping for a little more!

I like the Brooklyn Bedding mattress because folks seem pleased with it and I appreciate the return policy. It also seems like the 2 layers of 2" latex for 4" total is the most offered in that price range.

I like the OMF latex mattress because I’m able to try it out in person, it’s nice you can flip it since there’s latex on both sides, and I like the company and have had a good experience with them in the past.

Any specific opinions about these two options?

I’m also wondering about the firmness levels of the mattresses. Am I correct that…

BB
Soft= 2" 19IDL Talalay, 2" 30IDL Dunlop
Med= 2" 28IDL Talalay, 2" 32IDL Dunlop
6" 2LB Polyfoam

OMF
1" 19IDL Talalay, 2" 24IDL Talalay
4.5" 2.5LB Polyfoam

So am I correct in thinking that if I tried the OMF mattress that would compare in firmness to the BB soft?

Thanks so much!

Hi LHBolton,

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new).

Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting material) will have an effect on the feel and performance of every other layer and component in a mattress and the mattress as a whole.

The Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver is a one sided mattress that uses 2" of blended Talalay latex on top of 2" of synthetic continuous pour Dunlop latex on top of a 6" 2 lb polyfoam base layer so it has different layer thicknesses and different types and blends of latex than the OMF Serenity.

The OMF Serenity latex mattress is a two sided mattress that uses 3" of blended Talalay latex (in two different firmness levels) on each side of a 4.5" 2.5 lb polyfoam support core.

The BME has a cover that is quilted with a thin layer of polyfoam which provides a softer surface feel while the OMF Serenity latex mattress has a thinner stretch knit cover so you would be sleeping more directly on the latex. There is more about quilted covers vs thinner more stretchy covers in post #12 here.

Any type of latex (either Dunlop or Talalay and made with synthetic rubber, natural rubber, or a blend of both) is a high quality and durable material relative to other types of foam and the choice between them would also be more of a preference and a budget choice rather than a “better/worse” choice. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and more about how Dunlop compares to Talalay in general in post #7 here but once again the best way to know which type or blend of latex you tend to prefer will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience.

The OMF Serenity is also two sided which would generally be a more durable choice than an equivalent one sided mattress (see post #3 here) but both of them use very high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in either of them that would compromise the durability or useful life of either mattress so durability wouldn’t be an issue with either one of them.

While there is no way to quantify how long any mattress will last for a specific person or predict exactly when you will decide to replace it because it is no longer suitable or comfortable for you (because this is the only real measure of durability or the useful life of a mattress that really matters) because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person … if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new (see post #2 here) and you have confirmed that it meets the minimum quality/durability specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer and the chances that you would have additional “bonus time” would be higher as well.

Since they are different designs that use different types and blends of latex and have different layer thicknesses and layer firmnesses, it would be reasonable to think that they would each have a different “feel” and firmness level.

There are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

In other words … if two mattresses have different designs and materials then your own careful testing or personal experience is the only reliable way to compare two mattresses in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP.

The OMF Serenity has the advantage of being able to test it in person to make sure that it’s a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP while the BestMattressEver has a great trial period and return policy that allows you to test the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom without any risk outside of the time you spend sleeping on it or returning it in the event that your firmness choice doesn’t turn out to be as suitable for you as you hoped for.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance about “comfort” firmness, and PPP is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (and who isn’t just interested in selling you anything they can convince you to buy) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” (which you have) and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design (which they don’t) and if at this point there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your more detailed phone conversations about each of them, the firmness and suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials and components, designs, or types and blends of latex, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers and any costs involved, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

I can confirm the specs you have on the BB BME mattress are correct. Mario from BB sent me the same info last week…

I have a BME medium queen in the mail now. I’ll be sure to report back my experience, subjective as it may be.