OMI Duo 3-layer convert to a 4-layer?

I just discovered this forum and there so much information to dig through. Wow! What a find.

My wife and I finally decided an OMI Duo. I understand it’s not the absolute best value but the wife really liked it. She felt “good energy from it”. I’m 6" 175 pounds and she is 5’ 3" 130 pounds, we are combo sleepers back and side.

We tried many layering combinations and even the PLB Natural (ended up being our second choice). My wife was very apprensive spending this much money on an online purchase and wanted to be local. We live just outside of Sacramento and only found a couple of local of locations to test Latex mattreses in. We mainly spent our time in Folsom stores and visited the two locations there for latex mattresses. In fact we purchased our bed from the Healthyback store. Very helpful and nice place.

We started out bed search with the Temperpedic Rhapsody but discovered the wonderful comfort of Latex instead.

We ended up spending $2997 for the OMI Duo mattress. The wife really liked the cover they place it in. We agreed on the same layering choices and layering order but I wanted to know if we should get the two bottom layers split anyways for options (medium & firm layers). Right now we only have the middle medium layer split in case of a comfort exchange.

The build we decided on was:
Top: solid - soft all natural talalay
Middle: split - med organic dunlop
Bottom: solid - firm organic dunlop (should I get this layer split this for options more options? are there any disadvantages doing this?)

The other thing I have thought about doing in the future is converting it to a 4-layer bed by getting another firm layer of natural Talaly and placing the existing firm layer of Dunlop latex in a cover and placing it underneath the mattress?

It would look like this:
Soft Tallalay
Med Dunlop
Firm Talalay (new layer)
Outside the cover (but in it’s own cover) Firm Dunlop

Would this effectively make the bed into a 4-layer 12" mattress? Would there be any advantage to doing this?

Thanks for your input.

Hi ryoung,

It’s certainly a high quality mattress but you’re right it’s not the best value. It’s about $1000 more than similar mattresses but with their current “promotion” or “competition” it’s also less than it normally sells for.

I’m guessing you mean Healthy Bed rather than Healthy Back (which is closer to San Diego and doesn’t carry OMI)?

This would give you the option of moving up the firm to the middle layer which would increase the support of the mattress if you found you needed it or even preferred it after sleeping on it for a while. If the cost is the same then I would choose to have the option.

Yes … it would make it effectively the same (with some small differences) but I don’t see any significant advantage in doing this at your weights unless it was a preference issue. You can see more about when a thicker mattress may be useful in post #14 here.

Phoenix.

You are correct Phoenix - I keep getting Healthy Bed and Healtyback mixed up. I had been to their site several times and had that name burned in.

Thanks for your input on the layering options I was concerned it might cause stability issues.

The OMI is made about 40 miles from our house which was one of the reasons we started looking at it. We tried the Savvy Rest and even though they are almost the same we liked the feel OMI better (different cover? or latex supplier?). Their prices were very similar with OMI’s current promotion.

You are correct at their original prices it was totally out of the ball park. My wife wanted as much Organic as she could get but no 2k to 3K online orders. I liked the new PLB Nature but she did not like the feel of the new cool surface. She said it was too cold for her. WE ended up spending just a little more for the OMI than the PLB Nature (10%). We liked the firmer version the Terra but definitely not it’s price.

The only thing I was wondering about were our layering options in the future and what layers I could add in the future if we thought it necessary to move up to a 4-layer mattress. We tried an all Dunlop with OMI Sculpted layer but that felt like you floating on a hard surface. We did not feel like we sunk in to feel the full support of the mattress.

Thanks for your input.

Hi ryoung,

the Terra with the topper was one of our favorites as well when we were testing mattresses for ourselves.

There are many good sources for latex (see post #4 here) and if you ever did decide that you wanted to add a layer you could go in any direction you wanted. You could add a topper on top using any type of latex or ILD that you wanted, add a new firm layer underneath (although I would question why), exchange the layers in your mattress with something else, buy a thicker cover and put 4 layers inside your mattress, or any combination of the above. At this stage though it’s unlikely that it would be necessary and I would focus for now on making sure the layers you have work well and cross that bridge if you ever come to it :slight_smile:

Phoenix