? On foam mattress purchase

Hello all, I am trying to build a foam mattress, and from what I have researched a good foam core with good quality memory foam topper would work well, the following is what I am looking to buy.

I can buy a queen size - 5 inch, 3lb, 40 ild foam core of (FIRM) High Resilancy Foam for around $420.00 plus a 3 inch, 5lb, 15 ild Soft top made of memory foam for around 575.00 which comes to around $1000.00. Would this make a great mattress? I am around 220 lbs and sleep on my side and back and like a firm mattress These are really quality components, any help choosing a cover for the foam would be great.

Hi jack ate,

The quality of the materials is certainly good but there are too many unknowns for anyone to be able say how suitable it will be for your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on “theory at a distance”. There are some links to some of the “theory” in mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here but these are only generic guidelines and not specific to any individual person and the only way to know how a mattress will feel and perform for any specific person is their own personal experience.

If you have tested a mattress with the same or very similar specs and design at a local store and it worked well for you and the foams you purchased and the cover of your mattress are similar to the foam and cover in the mattress you tested then your odds of success would be quite high.

There are some sources for covers in post #4 here and for a memory foam mattress then a stretch knit cover that has the least possible effect on the memory foam would probably be the most suitable choice although there are some people who prefer a cover quilted with polyfoam with a memory foam mattress because it can create a more resilient sleeping surface for those who don’t like the feel of sleeping “in” their mattress as much (which is a “feel” that is typical of higher density memory foams that are usually more temperature sensitive).

As a general comment your support core is firmer than average and you only have 3" of memory foam and most 5 lb memory foam will feel firmer than lower density memory foam for most people so it seems to me that your mattress would certainly be in the “firm” range both in terms of comfort and support.

Phoenix

Thanks your response Phoenix ;
I agree there are many unknowns, I agree I do need to try to find a similar construction mattresses and lay on them , I will check some stores tomorrow , it will be hard since I seem to be using a higher quality core material and memory foam topper. Thanks for the confirmation that the mattress will be in the “firm” range both in terms of comfort and support. So if after a month or so if it is to firm, I may be able to adjust that buy adding a poofey fluffy quilted topper to make it a little softer. I believe I have a good foundation of materials to work with hopefully I will only have to tweak the top.

Jeff

Hi Jack ate,

I think you are right “on the money” with this. There is no doubt in my mind that your base layer is firm enough to provide great support for your weight (and even a little lower would probably have been fine) and I think the “worst case” would be the need to add some softness to the comfort layers. I would also be aware though that adding “poofy” layers over a 5 lb memory foam may make it firmer yet because it will reduce the heat that reaches it and may also interfere with the ability of the memory foam to contour to your body shape. the “poofy” layers may add some “point specific” pressure relief to pressure points but this may also be offset by the reduced response of the memory foam which may be firmer.

If it became necessary … I would probably add more memory foam rather than other types of layers unless you are looking for the specific “feel” of different materials on top of the memory foam and take the effect of the additional layers on top of the memory foam into account.

Phoenix

Thanks again Phoenix, I see what you are saying about my idea for adding softness to the top layer, I don’t want to make it firmer or reduce the heat, I like your suggestion for adding more memory foam, this way it has a progressive softness starting at the core. Do you suggest a inch or two of a softer less dense memory foam, if so what density and ild?

Thanks
Jeff

Hi Jack ate,

I would base a topper choice if you need it on your personal experience on the mattress and using the topper guidelines in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

I would avoid “theorizing” about what you need until you have actually slept on the mattress for a couple of weeks because your actual experience and knowing the “degree of change” you need will be a more accurate way to make a choice.

Phoenix