On the home Stretch!

Hi Phoenix,

So my wife and I have been looking for a new mattress for several weeks now. I started off thinking the memory foam was going to be the best thing since sliced bread, until recently when I read a thread where Phoenix mentioned a few latex mattresses. After going to the mattress store and laying on memory foam and latex side by side, LATEX is incredible!

With that said, the two mattresses available for us to lay on for getting a feel for firmness level that we like are the Sealy latex Newness and Meadowcrest. Both Mattresses were very comfortable.

A little information to hopefully help guide us to the right mattress. I am 6’1 250lbs, side and stomach sleeper. My wife is 5’3 155lbs, back and tummy sleeper. We have a Simmons Beautyrest ultraplush that has terrible support and leaves me with back spasms and tossing and turning all night.

The Latex Mattresses we have narrowed it down to are the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex, the Brooklyn Bamboo Bliss or the Brooklyn Aloe Alexis. All of which are certified, which is a big deal to us because we have our 2 week old sleeping with us and the last thing I want is toxic fumes being released while sleeping.

We are leaning towards the Brooklyn Bedding mattresses because of the warranty, the 120 day trail and the better base foam. Is there going to be a significant benefit to the Aloe Alexis? Also, what kind of discount would be available since we are a member of the site.

Thank you for providing such and informative website to help us wade through the confusion of mattress shopping.

• Jordan

Hi 4x4dodge21,

I would be aware that firmness can be subjective and depend on body type, sleeping positions, and individual perceptions, and there is no consistent firmness ratings between different manufacturers.

The Optimum Newness uses 6" of latex above a good quality polyfoam support core but they don’t provide any information about the type of latex they are using or the ILD of the layers but at least it’s a legitimate latex/polyfoam hybrid and would be easier to approximate if you could find out the type and firmness of the latex comfort layers. US mattress rates it as a “7” on a 1-10 scale so this would be more in the softer end of the range. The Meadowcrest uses 4" of latex (again with no specific information about the type or ILD of the latex) over their lower density (1.5 lb) polyfoam support core but US mattress rates this as a “5” which would be more in the middle of the softness range so using these as very approximate guidelines may be somewhat helpful.

The Ultimate Dreams Eurotop would be “somewhat” similar to the Meadowcrest in terms of design and also uses a 1.5 lb polyfoam base layer but it only has 3" of latex and an additional layer of polyfoam in the quilting (so just over 4" of comfort materials). “Approximating” the Meadowcrest would depend on which firmness choice came closest to the latex in the Meadowcrest. The Bamboo Bliss uses a higher quality base layer (similar to the Newness) but also has 3" of latex with a slightly thinner layer of quilting polyfoam and also uses wool in the quilting which would add to temperature regulation. Once again, approximating the Meadowcrest would depend on which firmness level would come closest to the Meadowcrest. The Alexis would be closer to the Newness (it also uses 6" of latex) and it also has a thinner polyfoam/wool quilting but once again how close it came to the Newness would depend on how close your firmness choices for the two 3" latex layers would come to the latex in the Optimum.

Brooklyn Bedding also has a firmness scale from 1 - 10 that you can choose from so this may also give some idea of which ones would be closest (depending on how well their firmness scales compare).

Overall though … I would talk with Brooklyn Bedding (and/or Dreamfoam) because they would probably be in the best position to help you decide which of their mattresses may be the closest approximation in terms of PPP and firmness level. The good news with all of the mattresses you are mentioning is that you can still change your firmness choices after a purchase if your actual sleeping experience indicates you would prefer something softer or firmer than the original choice you made.

I think this would be a good choice with your heavier weight and post #2 here includes some comparisons between an latex/polyfoam hybrid and an all latex mattress. Post #2 here has more about the Alexis compared to a latex hybrid with a single layer of latex and it would be closer to the “feel” and performance of all latex than a mattress that only has a single layer of latex and I think would also make a significant difference with your weight.

Again though … one of the most important parts of an online purchase would be your more detailed conversations with Brooklyn Bedding. If you are purchasing a king size I would also talk to them about the possibility of a split layer design so that each of you can choose your own firmness level for your side of the mattress because of the differences in your body types.

Phoenix