On to protection...more decisions!

Thanks for the invaluable advice for buying my latex/coil mattress! Now, while I wait for it to arrive, I’m finding myself obsessed with finding a good mattress protector. Looking for something that won’t take away from the feel and plushness of the mattress, no plastics of any kind, quiet and non-crinkly, and prefer no quilt or puffy layers. Really don’t need exceptional waterproofing, and definitely not something that needs to be dry cleaned! Something that helps keep me cool at night would be a major plus, as well as something that doesn’t break the bank!

Any suggestions?

A wool felt puddle pad fits most of your qualifications,“no plastics of any kind, quiet and non-crinkly, and prefer no quilt or puffy layers. Really don’t need exceptional waterproofing” I’d say get plastic if you want exceptional waterproofing.
At 1/4" thick, it will stop most spills from going through to the mattress. Wool is not only known for its temperature regulating abilities due the fibers being rather hollow, but also its ability to absorb up to 30% of its weight in water without feeling wet. I have noticed this myself when I took it out of the air dry cycle in my dryer. There was no way it could have been dry, but it sure felt so. This feature is convenient if you spill something benign like water, sop it up with a towel and go back to sleep. I’m sure you want to let it completely dry the next morning, but at least you know you won’t be sleeping in a pool.

Hi kardut,

You’re welcome!

A wool or cotton mattress protector certainly would could meet your qualifications (there is wool that is washable). Post #89 here talks about various mattress protectors (including some using polyurethane films, which would be for waterproofing without using plastic – which I know is not a need that you have), and about half way through that post are quite a few links to various styles of wool or cotton mattress protectors.

I hope that helps point you in a good direction.

Phoenix

Thanks…a lot to obsess over! Are you familiar at all with the new 37.5 material that’s made from carbon derived from cocoa shells? Supposed to be very cooling, and Brookstone has one that looks to fit all my criteria, but no reviews so far…

Hi kardut,

While I’m not personally familiar with this product, the idea is that through the materials they imbed in their fibers it helps control temperature and humidity in your sleep environment. Minerals form volcanic sands and activated carbon from coconut shells are mixed into master batch (which is a polyester fiber) and then formed into chips, which are then formed into different types of fibers and yarns. It helps to absorb IR (minerals ae thermally conductive) and helps control humidity, which is also key for temperature regulation. There is more information about 37.5 and Cocona here.

Phoenix

1 Like

Thanks Phoenix – I went ahead and ordered it. With a 15% off coupon and free shipping, I figured it’s worth a trial. I liked that it wasn’t quilted, promised to be cool, and was substantially cheaper than the cotton ones I was eyeing. Will let you know if it works or if I end up returning…

Hi kardut,

Congratulations on the mattress pad/protector purchase! I’ll be interested in your feedback.

Phoenix

Phoenix well long time no see. Hope all is going well.
I have either been unlucky or just perhaps never ever realized I have a huge Latex Allergy.
After reading here for a few hours , I see this Mattress Cover is recommended pretty highly.
Phoenix does this Mattress Cover encase well enough to cover our 2 -Twins that are 3 Layers of Latex, plus our Topper?
Want to make sure I am not smelling the Latex from either of our beds, or any form of contact.
Twin Mattresses are Both Covered , and Topper too.
My Eyes did nearly swell shut, my breathing became horrible, effected my stomach immensly, threw off my Thyroid levels, it has been a long tiring near year to figure out.
I have Suffered far to long I will but the Covers if you think they do work, and would like to know if kardut liked them.
Has anyone else bought this Cover to help with Issues to Latex Mattress?
If anyone can help, it saves us from having to buy another Mattress.

Now we truly have no idea which Mattress will help.
Phoenix you thoughts please? I do need plush , or Soft as we use Soft Talalay now on Mattress. We have Soft, Medium then Firm on Both Twins. It was recommended and it feels great, other then I need off the Latex. Or Encase it!
Blessing. Bunny

If you are this sensitive to the latex, I’d be surprised if a cover would fix that. However, for the customers of mine who cannot stand the smell, they have found success with covering the latex with an activated carbon blanket., There are a few kinds available here: Nontoxic.com might be for sale. Request the price today. From what I understand, the technology is also used in the military to block chemical warfare.

Hi bunny1999,

[quote]Phoenix well long time no see. Hope all is going well.
I have either been unlucky or just perhaps never ever realized I have a huge Latex Allergy. My Eyes did nearly swell shut, my breathing became horrible, effected my stomach immensly, threw off my Thyroid levels, it has been a long tiring near year to figure out. I have Suffered far to long I will but the Covers if you think they do work, and would like to know if kardut liked them.[/quote]
Not being a physician, I wouldn’t be able to tell you what you’re actually reacting to and what the best course of action might be. I would suggest having an allergy test done first to confirm what might actually be causing your reaction – if it is indeed latex or some other componentry within your sleep system.

Just for your information, here’s a bit about latex sensitivities and allergies:

There are different types of latex “allergies” that can be aggravated by frequent contact with the allergen (which usually aren’t the latex proteins themselves) but it would be no more likely to have an allergy to the latex proteins themselves than to many other materials that are used in mattresses and there is also no contact with the latex in a mattress because it has a cover. There is also no evidence in any of the literature that I’ve seen (and I’ve read a lot of it) that sleeping on a latex mattress can increase the chances of developing a latex allergy so unless you have a specific reason to be cautious based on certain medical issues or medical history … latex allergies with a latex mattress aren’t something that I would be concerned about.

With that being said, you’re certainly reacting to something. While it is a complex subject, the essence of it is that there are basically 3 types of latex allergy or sensitivity (although two of them aren’t really an allergy to latex).

The first of these is irritant contact dermatitis which usually comes from an actual irritation to the skin such as from repeated donning of latex gloves or exposure to the powder on them often in combination with skin sweating or frequent hand washing. This is a result of physical skin irritation and wouldn’t apply to latex foam.

The second and most common of the “latex allergies” contact dermatitis allergies (type IV latex allergy) which is most likely a reaction to the chemicals additives or substances that are added to the latex in the manufacturing process and not the latex itself. This is more prevalent for those who have handled latex in various occupations over a period of time (such as health care workers using latex gloves). This is the less severe of the types of “latex allergies” and while it is not “common” it is also not so rare … particularly among certain occupations. Because latex foam has had most of the surface proteins and any remaining unreacted materials washed away during manufacturing (unlike other types of non foamed latex like gloves, condoms, balloons etc.), this is far less common with latex foam. This type of “latex allergy” is a contact allergy (or sensitivity) and the fact that most of the surface proteins and additives are washed away and that the latex is covered makes this type of allergy much less of an issue with latex mattresses. There is more detailed information and links in this thread and latex foam is not mentioned in any of the literature I’ve seen or linked as a possible source of this type of allergy.

The last type of latex allergy is type 1 which is much more rare but much more serious. This type of allergy can cause an anaphylactic reaction with breathing difficulties and swelling and like a bee sting in a small portion of the population can be life threatening. These people are almost always very aware of their allergy and have to go to great extremes to avoid natural latex which is very difficult because it is so widely used in our society. They for example have to check in restaurants where they eat that the workers aren’t wearing gloves with latex or they could have a severe reaction. Most people that sell latex mattresses can go a lifetime without ever seeing this type of latex allergy. This would be connected to the proteins found in natural latex which would be missing in synthetic latex.

There is more information and a brief description of each of these here. This is a very useful page with quite a bit of information.

There is also much more information about latex allergies in this topic and the many other sources of information that it links to as well.

In most cases … latex can actually help more common allergies because it is resistant to dust mites which are a leading cause of allergies in the population (see post #2 here). Strangely enough … there are certain allergies and certain conditions that can go hand in hand with latex allergies. Those with Spina Bifida for example have a much higher incidence and allergies to banana, pineapple, avocado, chestnut, kiwi fruit, mango, passionfruit, strawberry, and soy can all go hand in hand with it as well and is called the latex-fruit syndrome. There is a good Wikipedia article about latex allergies here and there is also a lot more information on various medical sites across the web.

It’s also possible that you are simply sensitive to this material for one reason or the other, much like someone who has Multiple Chemical Sensitivities. Even if the materials in a mattress or the mattress itself has a reliable “safety” certification then for most people they would certainly be “safe enough” … regardless of the type of material, the smell of the material, or the name of the manufacturer on the label, although of course some people that are more sensitive or that have certain health conditions (such as MCS or multiple chemical sensitivities) may still be affected by a material that is certified even if it would be fine for most people.

From what I recall, you have a Best Mattress Ever and a SleepEZ mattress, and they both have fabric (ticking) material covering the latex, so you aren’t sleeping directly upon the latex foam. I would imagine that you are also using a mattress pad/protector and a fitted sheet over that, which would put even more barriers between you and the latex regarding a contact issue. I don’t know that any other encasement would be assistive in further isolating you from potential physical contact with the latex.

You’re obviously reacting to something, and I don’t know that it is contact related, or if it is the latex or something else in your sleeping environment (mattress ticking, sheets, mattress protector, blankets, pillows, laundry detergent used for sheets, etc.). If it is something to which you have a sensitivity to through inhalation, I would agree with diynaturalbedding that a cover (unless you are sealing the mattress in an airtight covering, which wouldn’t be practical or comfortable) wouldn’t make a difference.

I really would defer to the recommendation of a physician in this situation, as what you describe is quite extreme, and if this happened to me personally I would want to know exactly to what substances I was having a reaction and not guess. Until you find out that information, I would be uncomfortable offering any suggestions besides a step-by-step elimination of materials (pillow, sheets, mattress pads, blanket, mattress, etc.) in your sleeping environment and see if you can isolate what is causing your issues. The other option would be to sleep in a separate room on a mattress that hasn’t bothered you in the past, and then step by step reintroduce the other parts of your sleeping environment (pillow, sheets, mattress pad, pajamas, etc.) and see if anything causes your reaction short of the mattress itself.

Phoenix

For interest’s sake, I knew a person, indirectly, who shared her reaction to perhaps the flame retardants in a new mattress she bought here, it is quite severe. Her blog is here. her older posts share more of the sensitivities she has over come. I share this in case there is anything similar that could be helpful to you.

Phoenix your memory is AMAZING! Yes, it is a SleepEZ. What I am truly wondering it since we do not have Organic Talalay 100% on the 3" Topper could that be the problem? If so that would be a easy fix. SleepEZ is fantastic to work with. They contacted us immediately. Maybe instead of loosing the complete Mattress we truly love, could a 100% Talalay Topper help? Willing to try… This 10" Latex Mattress has been heavenly, although being ill off and on sure has been awful. The Cover is of the Highest grade, plus we have the adjustable beds Foundation. California King Split Mattresses. So 2 XL Twins.
Not my Sheets, 100% Cotton, Cotton everything, even Mattress Cover, Pajamas, Pillow the Company Store highest Quality. Allergy Pure… Pillow Cases Cotton, Blankets have never been a issue, although we are careful to the Max on all bedding wear or sleep on items. Not The Soaps, have had to make sure I was ok using what we use and when we wash re - Resince 3 times, as I did think this was a issue, it was not!
I do have a Severe allergy to Bananas. Non anilphylatic, sorry (MS) it made me have acid reflux horrible, and felt like a had a Ulcer that ruptured.
Took over a week to figure it out.
Then 1 night I ate a small piece Never thinking it was Bananas, within 3 minutes or so my Stomach was burning , took a Antihistimine quickly, it helped immensely.
Had I not eaten this small piece no telling how long it would have been a mystery, also touchy to Stawberries, and I love them! Nothing to new for me as I have eaten Gluten Free for 5 years now. Not hard truly.
By the Way our Son loves his Brooklyn Bed in a Bag, it is simply wonderful.

Phoenix Thank you I will have my Doctor test me again, as my level of Allergies might have changed. Anything is possible, anyone can have a slight allergie or bad Allergy. Some are deadly as we know but if you eat to much of one food constantly, you can cause yourself to become slightly allergic to it, you back off for at least 6 months as long as it was not bad reaction, then try tiny amount again later. Ask your Doctor first …please’. they will tell you!

Thank you again Phoenix you are Amazing.
Bunny hugs

Thank you so much! Diynaturalbedding. I sincerely appreciate the great info. Going to go read it all,
That was so thoughtful of you.
Thank you again
Bunny

Hi Bunny1999 and diynaturalbedding,

Thanks for both of your responses.

Diynaturalbedding, thanks for sharing that article. Oddly enough, I responded to site member OYEB regarding that exact article back in 2012 in post #2 here. While there is some good information contained in this lady’s blog, and I can’t speak to the sensitivities of the woman mentioned in the article who received an older used mattress from her Grandma’s guest bedroom, there are quite a few inaccuracies about passing FR guidelines that I point out in my post and some of her conclusions/assumptions are incorrect.

Bunny1999,
I would hold off on introducing any more latex into your sleeping environment until you see your physician. You mentioned your sensitivity to bananas, and you should read the part of my post where I discuss the latex-fruit syndrome. I copied it again here:

Strangely enough … there are certain allergies and certain conditions that can go hand in hand with latex allergies. Those with Spina Bifida for example have a much higher incidence and allergies to banana, pineapple, avocado, chestnut, kiwi fruit, mango, passionfruit, strawberry, and soy can all go hand in hand with it as well and is called the latex-fruit syndrome. There is a good Wikipedia article about latex allergies here and there is also a lot more information on various medical sites across the web.

Please read the Wikipedia article I linked to above, and I’ll be interested in learning about any results/advice you receive from your physician.

Phoenix

I have been struggling for such a long time with organic latex. Bought a organic latex topper which is encased and zipped up. It seems to take quite a while for the allergies to kick in but once they do I get really sick, until I remove it again, bag it and store it outside my apartment. Creeping up allergic response is heavy duty chest inflammation almost like a bad case of pneumonia. Had thought initially it was my living environment, older building etc, yet when I replace the topper with a wool one it seems to get better. Seemingly I am allergic to everything compounded by Hashimoto’s. My bed is a coil organic wool, but is so incredibly hard that nothing except the latex seems to soften it out. Always such a sweet smelling cake in my bedroom and the smell gets into everything after a while, sheets comforters etc. At this point I have no idea what to do next, and in the middle of being really sick yet again…ugh!

Hi wildsea,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear about your Hashimoto’s. I was reading up on it and unfortunately there seems to be a relationship between Hashimoto’s Disease (and other autoimmune diseases) and increased sensitivities/allergies. I know that must be frustrating for you.

While a true latex allergy would be quite rare, it certainly seems that you’re reacting to your topper. While it is a complex subject, the essence of it is that there are basically 3 types of latex allergy or sensitivity (although two of them aren’t really an allergy to latex).

The first of these is irritant contact dermatitis which usually comes from an actual irritation to the skin such as from repeated donning of latex gloves or exposure to the powder on them often in combination with skin sweating or frequent hand washing. This is a result of physical skin irritation and wouldn’t apply to latex foam.

The second and most common of the “latex allergies” contact dermatitis allergies (type IV latex allergy) which is most likely a reaction to the chemicals additives or substances that are added to the latex in the manufacturing process and not the latex itself. This is more prevalent for those who have handled latex in various occupations over a period of time (such as health care workers using latex gloves). This is the less severe of the types of “latex allergies” and while it is not “common” it is also not so rare … particularly among certain occupations. Because latex foam has had most of the surface proteins and any remaining unreacted materials washed away during manufacturing (unlike other types of non foamed latex like gloves, condoms, balloons etc.), this is far less common with latex foam. This type of “latex allergy” is a contact allergy (or sensitivity) and the fact that most of the surface proteins and additives are washed away and that the latex is covered makes this type of allergy much less of an issue with latex mattresses. There is more detailed information and links in this thread and latex foam is not mentioned in any of the literature I’ve seen or linked as a possible source of this type of allergy.

The last type of latex allergy is type 1 which is much more rare but much more serious. This type of allergy can cause an anaphylactic reaction with breathing difficulties and swelling and like a bee sting in a small portion of the population can be life threatening. These people are almost always very aware of their allergy and have to go to great extremes to avoid natural latex which is very difficult because it is so widely used in our society. They for example have to check in restaurants where they eat that the workers aren’t wearing gloves with latex or they could have a severe reaction. Most people that sell latex mattresses can go a lifetime without ever seeing this type of latex allergy. This would be connected to the proteins found in natural latex which would be missing in synthetic latex.

There is more information and a brief description of each of these here. This is a very useful page with quite a bit of information. There is also much more information about latex allergies in this topic and the many other sources of information that it links to as well.

My first step would be a trip to your health care professional and describe to them your symptoms and have them perform an allergy test on you, as you’d want to be specific about any items that could potentially be causing you these issues. Assuming that latex is an issue for you, there are other topper options, and many good sources of which I am aware are listed in post #4 here. You may wish to look into a microcoil or buckling column gel topper, as those would tend to have less chance of causing you to have a reaction. There is also a link there for wool toppers, which are not as soft as latex but they can provide extra plushness. Those would all be good alternatives.

I’ll look forward to learning of your progress and hopefully you’re able to find something that doesn’t cause you to have a reaction, but still offers you some comfort.

Phoenix

Phoenix last I heard from SleepEZ they said Topper or Wool Cover might be a issue.
Still waiting to hear back from them.

Allergies to Latex are getting to be more Numerable. Maybe as more have had exposure.
It can effect breathing. Dangerous effects.
. Bunny

Thanks so much I really appreciate all the info. It’s like trying to find a pin in a haystack. I do have a wool topper and a wool bed, which of course tends to scare me a bit just trying to figure out if it could be even that. I will look into one of the options you suggested, sounds interesting , the gel one, as long as it doesn’t “smell” it could help. I can smell anything a mile away, including all chemicals etc. My body may really be saying - “move to the woods”! I’ll keep you posted and hopefully what I discover will help someone else!

Hi Bunny1999,

While people can have sensitivities to contact with wool, without actual test results from a health-care provider, I’d be hesitant about drawing too many conclusions about what/why you are having your reactions and I’d personally want more concrete and medially-verified data before I moved forward, based upon the multiple symptoms you mentioned.

Just my cautious “2 cents”. :wink:

Phoenix

Hi wildsea,

You’re welcome. I know it can be difficult, but best not to guess in cases like this and instead have some testing done by a qualified health-care professional.

Wool allergies or sensitivities are generally contact allergies or sensitivities and it would be unlikely that they would be an issue in a mattress. There is more about wool allergies or sensitivities in post #2 here and in post #4 here .

Having a “sensitive sniffer” has both pros and cons, I know! Not all odors are VOCs, and not all VOCs have odors, so that’s why it’s so important to have an examination by a physician.

I look forward to learning about what you find out.

Phoenix