Online comfort?

I’m really glad I found this site. I’ve learned about mattress PPP and now I’m reading about pillows, pads, protectors and pfoundations.

I think my only question at the moment is, when it is so hard to pick a comfortable mattress when you can try them in the store, is it really possible to get it right online or over the phone? (I’ve only found one store locally that carries latex mattresses and I’ve ruled out what the have)

Hi deepZs,

There are many thousands of people that are happy with their online mattress purchase so it’s certainly possible yes.

I would always keep in mind though that there is no such thing as “one mattress fits all” or a mattress that is “universally comfortable” for everyone and any specific mattress may be the “best” match for a relatively small percentage of people, a “good” match for a larger percentage, and an “OK” match for a larger percentage yet and the only way to know for certain whether an online mattress you end up choosing will be a “good enough” match for you to keep it (even if it isn’t the “best match” out of all the mattresses that you “could have tried” instead) will be based on your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

Many online mattresses have a very good trial period and return policy so you can try them in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk (outside of the time you spend sleeping on it and/or returning it if that becomes necessary or any costs involved in the return process) so if it’s not a “good enough” match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP you can just return it and try another mattress if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for but once again you will only know whether it’s “good enough” to keep it and you won’t know whether it would have been better or worse or how it compares to other mattresses that you could have purchased instead that you haven’t actually tried in person.

One of the advantages of trying mattresses locally is that you can try many different types and styles and combinations of materials and components and firmness levels and different types of mattresses and compare them to each other in “real time” based on your actual experience rather than just “theory” or other people’s experience (which may be completely different from your own) instead of trying one online mattress at a time and not knowing how it compares to the other mattresses that you could have tried or purchased instead.

Some good local testing will also give you a much better sense of the many different types of materials and components that are used in mattresses and some reference points about the types of mattresses (see this article) and general firmness levels you tend to prefer which can help you narrow down your choices regardless of whether you end up purchasing locally or online.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels and the different options they have available to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences or to other mattresses that they are familiar with than anyone else.

A good online retailer or manufacturer will generally make suggestions that they honestly believe have the best chance of success based on the information you provide them when you talk to them on the phone because this is in both your own and their best interests but once again … at the end of the day the only way to know for certain whether any specific mattress is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP will be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience so if you can’t test a specific mattress in person then the options you have available after a purchase to either exchange the mattress (or individual layers or components in some cases) or return the mattress for a refund (and any costs involved) would generally become a more important part of most people’s personal value equation just in case a mattress you purchase doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Of course if an online retailer or manufacturer only sells one mattress then that’s the only one they can suggest (although some may have different firmness levels that they can help you choose between) so they will generally suggest trying it and then sending it back if it’s not “good enough” for you to keep (assuming that they have a good trial period and return policy).

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area).

Phoenix

In thinking about your comments I decided I didn’t need to to try a lot of different materials and mattress styles. Over the years I have owned innersprings, water beds, all foam, and air beds. Based on my experience and the info on this site and others, I knew I wanted latex for my next mattress.

Thanks for the offer to recommend stores in my area. I may take you up on that in the future but I decided to take the online plunge and have ordered from Arizona Premium Mattresses. They fit the profile you outlined in that they have a return period, an exchange policy and they asked questions to determine the most likely configuration to give me a good night’s sleep. Apparently delivery time will be about 3 weeks, so we’ll see what happens.

Thanks again!

Hi deepZs,

As you probably know from your reading here I think highly of Arizona Premium and they are one of the members of this site so I think that you certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix