Online latex and logistics...?

Hello!

I’ve been thinking of replacing my mattress (and following these posts) for years (I remember reading Phoenix’s posts at the previous site!) I am ~90% sure that I want to get a latex mattress from SleepEZ.

My concerns:

1. I’m a single female. How hard is it going to be for me to get the boxes in the house and up a flight of stairs (for a queen, probably with split layers, so I can unpack and carry up layer by layer if I need to). How hard is it going to be to get the foundation put together and on the bed myself?

2. I’m really concerned about getting rid of the old mattress. It looks like most of the “junk removal” places around here won’t give you a quote until they come out to your house, so I can’t easily call around and compare prices.

Can anyone share their experience with costs for having an old mattress and box spring removed (from the 2nd story). I have a queen, but hearing what others have paid (for any size) would be helpful to get a ballpark idea of the costs.

1. I’ve tried a couple latex mattresses locally, but it’s been years. I remember liking the medium and soft versions of one of the expensive brands (possibly Pure Latex Bliss?), but thinking the firm was too firm (the store only had 3 on the floor to try). I liked the old Original Mattress Factory latex mattress, but recently (about a month or so ago) tried the new version, and hated it. It managed to be too hard and too soft at the same time!

I guess I’m just a little nervous about trying to figure out how to choose the layers. I’m hoping that by getting a split version, I’ll have a lot more layers to play around with before having to swap anything out.

1. Last issue, I’m a female and mostly sleep on my side (sometimes on my back). But, my weight varies dramatically. Like… a year or so ago I had gotten down to 165, but am now back up to nearly 210 (cry). I also struggle with some lower back pain, specifically when I’m lying in bed on my back, but I think I can get that under control with some additional exercises and stretches (I hope).

I think the layered latex might actually be great for this, since I can rearrange the layers as my weight changes? Is that right? Is it really OK to have a softer layer closer the floor? It sounds very weird, and I keep thinking that either the bed won’t be supportive with a soft layer lower down, or the soft layer will be damaged? Is this really not a problem?

Any other thoughts, especially around the logistics of swapping out the old bed with the new on my own, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the great resource. I’ve spent more hours than I’d like to admit reading through the posts here, searching here, and soaking up information. And, I got my Lanoodle pillow this year for Christmas, thanks to the recommendations here - love it! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hi NB,

Welcome to the TMU forum. The previous forum at WTB where I used to post before I launched this site was a long time ago (almost 5 years ago now) :slight_smile:

As you know SleepEZ is a member here which means that I think very highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency so you are certainly looking in a great direction.

[quote]My concerns:

1. I’m a single female. How hard is it going to be for me to get the boxes in the house and up a flight of stairs (for a queen, probably with split layers, so I can unpack and carry up layer by layer if I need to). How hard is it going to be to get the foundation put together and on the bed myself?[/quote]

SleepEZ can tell you the shipping weights for their boxes but while it would be easier for two people … there are certainly many members here that have carried in the components and assembled the mattress all by themselves without any significant difficulties as well. You can get a sense of what is involved in assembling a component latex mattress in the videos that are linked in post #12 here.

[quote]2. I’m really concerned about getting rid of the old mattress. It looks like most of the “junk removal” places around here won’t give you a quote until they come out to your house, so I can’t easily call around and compare prices.

Can anyone share their experience with costs for having an old mattress and box spring removed (from the 2nd story). I have a queen, but hearing what others have paid (for any size) would be helpful to get a ballpark idea of the costs.[/quote]

Hopefully some of the members here that have used a local service to dispose of a mattress will see your post and share their experience and what they paid.

While I don’t know the specific costs involved with each of them … there are also some options listed in this topic that may be helpful and for the ones where there are costs involved hopefully they will be able to give you a quote as well.

[quote]3. I’ve tried a couple latex mattresses locally, but it’s been years. I remember liking the medium and soft versions of one of the expensive brands (possibly Pure Latex Bliss?), but thinking the firm was too firm (the store only had 3 on the floor to try). I liked the old Original Mattress Factory latex mattress, but recently (about a month or so ago) tried the new version, and hated it. It managed to be too hard and too soft at the same time!

I guess I’m just a little nervous about trying to figure out how to choose the layers. I’m hoping that by getting a split version, I’ll have a lot more layers to play around with before having to swap anything out.[/quote]

There is more about the most reliable ways to choose a mattress that is the most suitable "match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) either locally or online in post #2 here that can help you make the best possible choice and identify and minimize the risks involved in making a choice that doesn’t turn out to be as suitable as you hoped for but when you can’t test a mattress in person (or at least a design that is very similar) then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer who has your best interests at heart (such as SleepEZ) can help “talk you through” the options they have available based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences and which of the firmness and layering options they have available will have the best chance of success than anyone else.

[quote]4. Last issue, I’m a female and mostly sleep on my side (sometimes on my back). But, my weight varies dramatically. Like… a year or so ago I had gotten down to 165, but am now back up to nearly 210 (cry). I also struggle with some lower back pain, specifically when I’m lying in bed on my back, but I think I can get that under control with some additional exercises and stretches (I hope).

I think the layered latex might actually be great for this, since I can rearrange the layers as my weight changes? Is that right? Is it really OK to have a softer layer closer the floor? It sounds very weird, and I keep thinking that either the bed won’t be supportive with a soft layer lower down, or the soft layer will be damaged? Is this really not a problem?[/quote]

Yes … one of the advantages of a component mattress is that if your needs and preferences change you can rearrange the layers or even replace a single layer to fine tune the comfort and/or support to a layering arrangement that works better for you without having to replace the entire mattress.

While there are exceptions to every rule (including a two sided mattress that is designed to be flipped on a regular basis) and in some cases some people do tend to prefer a softer layer on the bottom … in most cases I would tend to avoid it and stick with firmer layers on the bottom unless there is a specific reason that you would choose to do otherwise. A softer layer on the bottom of a one sided component latex mattress can be a little more risky in terms of support/alignment.

I’m glad the site could help you and you are also one of many forum members (including me) that likes the Lanoodles pillows as well.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix! Yeah, I started thinking about replacing the mattress (and researching online) about 7 years ago (!!!) when I moved into a new home. So, it’s definitely been a while.

I appreciate the information, and the support. It feels like such an overwhelming decision (thus the 7+ years of waiting!). Thank you!