Open to any opinion -Why is this mattress buying so Hard?

Hi kayla,

They should be fine with an adjustable … even if they are covered. The worst case is that you may need to do some adjusting if they do shift but this shouldn’t be an issue. Having said that … I believe that OMI (Organicpedic) will only warranty their mattresses if they are purchased with their own foundation (see here) and I don’t believe that floor models are covered by their warranty either (see the attachment) so even if it would “work” on an adjustable you would void your warranty which wouldn’t be a good idea.

[quote]as for considering the terra ,you dont seem to understand where are the alternatives?
where here?in The US lots of alternatives, here ,not so much.[/quote]

I provided a list of alternatives that ship across Canada in my reply here.

If you let me know your city or postal code I can also let you know about any of the options or possibilities I’m aware of that may be reasonably close to you as well (I’ve asked you this before but I don’t see your reply).

You won’t find one “exactly” the same (there is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or approximate another one in post #9 here) but there are many others that would use the same type of latex that would be “similar” and may be just as good a “match” for you in terms of PPP that are in much lower budget ranges and have better exchange/return options.

Some of the online options available to you do allow for returns so you can use your own actual sleeping experience to “test” the mattress for the entire length of the trial period (instead of just 20 minutes in a store) with little risk.

If you have a component mattress where you can rearrange or exchange individual layers then you could make it firmer in either the comfort or support layers but with a “finished” mattress its really not possible to “firm up” a mattress outside of adding a firmer topper which would give you a firmer feeling sleeping surface but wouldn’t “firm up” the support layers underneath you and in some cases may make any alignment issues worse.

This certainly isn’t an option I would consider … especially if you are in higher weight ranges … since you will likely be back to having the same or even worse issues than you do now fairly quickly.

Phoenix

Hi Thank you for your reply.

One other question ,I called OMI (Organicpedic) a they wouldn’t give me the ild of the lago or any ,said it was proprietary information what odes that mean ,I found out from Texas mattress makers it should be at least 32 ILD.
and form the forum so what does this mean?

I am grateful

Hi kayla,

ILD is a “comfort spec” and not a “quality spec” and isn’t important to know when you are testing a mattress in person because your body will tell you whether a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP much more than knowing the ILD of the layers. Most people wouldn’t have the knowledge or experience to know how different combinations of ILD would work for them with different types of latex anyway (and ILD alone isn’t the only spec that will make a difference in how the mattress feels and performs) so for most people, knowing the ILD of the layers would have no practical use and may be more confusing than helpful. There are many manufacturers that treat the ILD of their mattresses as proprietary (see post #10 here)

This depends entirely on your confidence about whether a mattress is a good match for you and on the options that are important to you after a purchase. I linked these in my previous replies but there is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which would include the suitability of a mattress in terms of PPP, the durability of the materials and components inside the mattress, and the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price and the options that you have after a purchase if a mattress you purchase doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for). There is also more about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) and how to minimize the risks involved with each of them in post #2 here. A component mattress with individual layers and a zip cover generally has more options after a purchase to fine tune the mattress (either by exchanging or rearranging layers) than most “finished” mattresses so it can reduce the risk of a mattress purchase.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the area are listed in post #2 here. You are fortunate to live in Calgary because you have some very good local options available in the area that would be well worth visiting :).

Phoenix

Unfortunate I think visited them all…
1 said go to bariatric remember?
2-all are from 3600 and up
3-no returns
4 no trials
5-only one is haslted haven’t tried and I am tired ,
I was looking into a spring need at least 2000 coil count and a good coil like berlekley ergonomics.Do not ship to here.

So here is why I say we are held hostage,company purchase these lovely beds ,latex or spring like berlekley ergonomics form US…then charge much more than bed is worth .
OR they make them and charge a fortune ,no kidding.
all orders 6 to 8 week wait .
I could use a bed in 2 weeks remember?
not possible unless I buy the floor model lago.

I am pretty upset about people over charging for latex and other beds or any bed for that matter.
Here is how it goes,we will make a bed you dont like it ,too bad final sale …and thats fine but you know at least have a decent showroom or talk about latex and what you can expect.

TMASC sells a pillow for 350 dollars,that is ridiculous.

Lucky ? i think not.
online buying mostly do not ship here ,on it goes,I can see why people go to beautyrest here THEY are available…
it doesn’t matter anyway
I have one choice left …what do you think of the lago in talaly medium?
I am tired of searching anymore.

Which was your “right one?”

Hi kayla,

Yes … all the better retailers or manufacturers in Calgary will be able to give you good guidance about which of their mattresses are suitable for higher weight ranges.

There are at least some latex mattresses in the area that are less than this (see here for example) and many of the online options you have available are less than this as well.

[quote]3-no returns
4 no trials[/quote]

I haven’t checked the specific return or exchange policies at the Calgary stores but some of them have good options after a purchase to fine tune the mattress if you need to and some of the online options that are available to you also have good exchange/return policies.

[quote]5-only one is haslted haven’t tried and I am tired ,
I was looking into a spring need at least 2000 coil count and a good coil like berlekley ergonomics.Do not ship to here.[/quote]

I’m not sure why you believe you need a 2000 coil count because it certainly isn’t the case. You can read more about innersprings in this article and in post #10 here. TMASC sells Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses in Calgary.

[quote]So here is why I say we are held hostage,company purchase these lovely beds ,latex or spring like berlekley ergonomics form US…then charge much more than bed is worth .
OR they make them and charge a fortune ,no kidding.
all orders 6 to 8 week wait .
I could use a bed in 2 weeks remember?
not possible unless I buy the floor model lago.[/quote]

Needless to say I don’t share most of your thoughts here (at least when it comes to better retailers and manufacturers in the industry). You certainly have options available that should take much less than 6 to 8 weeks and would be available inside your 2 week time frame (either locally or online).

I can’t speak to whether it’s a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (only your own personal testing or sleeping experience can tell you that) but it uses high quality materials and there are no weak links in the mattress.

While I don’t think this is the only choice you have … only you can decide which mattress is the “best value” for you. If it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP and it also compares well to all your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price and the options you have available after a purchase) then it would certainly be well worth considering.

Phoenix

Thank you Im sure I will find something .

how about essential? medium firm ? i know i read your post and their reply --good for you
but i am getting down on choices.
they have a floor model
-then there is berkley ergonomics oslo coil soft on top firm base C is what they said could pay my own shipping at 700 dollars,but it sounds nice ?
i was tild i may break a thing in the box so it could goon an adjustable
thanks

Hi kayla,

[quote]how about essential? medium firm ? i know i read your post and their reply --good for you
but i am getting down on choices.
they have a floor model[/quote]

I’m not clear on which mattress you are referring to here. Could you supply a link?

This is certainly a high quality mattress and there are no weak links in the design so if you have confirmed that it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP and it compares well with your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are important to you then it would certainly be well worth considering.

Phoenix

ESSENTIA is their 8 inch model most popular one.

it said online 8 inches wasn’t enough for me and but i get to at least try this floor model
NO I do not get to try the berkley mattress
because they do not have the model in stock.

just buy and wait i also would pay 700 on shipping if i need it sooner and i have only 10 days left
i dont know how many times i can post here that one cannot determine PPP if you can’t try a mattress
and here you can’t try them they don’t stock hardly anything.

i am too big for most and i can barely write as my neck is killing me from sleeping in tmy bed.

i give up i just give up.

Hi kayla,

OK … I didn’t know what you meant by “essential” but I am certainly familiar with “Essentia”.

You can read some of my thoughts about Essentia and some of the misleading claims they make and some forum discussions with them in this thread and this thread and posts #3 and #4 here). Needless to say I would be very cautious here.

[quote]just buy and wait i also would pay 700 on shipping if i need it sooner and i have only 10 days left
i dont know how many times i can post here that one cannot determine PPP if you can’t try a mattress
and here you can’t try them they don’t stock hardly anything.[/quote]

All I can do is repeat some of the information I have included in my earlier replies. There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress (locally or online) in post #2 here that can help you reduce the risk involved in each of them whether you are able to test them before a purchase or not. I’m not clear why you haven’t been looking more closely at some of the other options that are available to you that you don’t seem to be seriously considering.

I would also re-read the more detailed comments and suggestions I made in post #6 earlier in this topic

Phoenix

Hello, I just made an account on this forum but I have been stealthy reading it for a few months now because like most of the readers I assume I had to shop for a new mattress and this website has been my primary source of information in the process. It may not have lead me to follow all of the recommendations but it did at least help me at least in knowing what to look for.

Since it was brought on this thread and because I intended to return the favor of having information by giving hopefully a relatively unbiased review of the Essentia Classic 8 mattress I have owned for a month now (and then update that review in a year or so maybe). I feel that my opinion would be welcome for this because I found it frustrating that I couldn’t trust most sources and reviews I saw on the internet about this product because at least my feeling is that tthe Essentia company doesn’t come from nowhere and that it probably, like I assume most companies do, tampered with the review websites.

Thus I intend to try to do an in-depth review to share my user experience. My knowledge in mattresses is relatively limited, I come from a low-middle class family and to me the Essentia Classic 8 even at Black Friday pricing was already much more than I thought I would ever pay for a mattress so I can in no way compare to all the more expensive alternatives around which are not large brands. I am also not a chemist so I wouldn’t be able to verify most of the claims made by Essentia about their product unless there is something specific to look for once we really own the product.

I will write a review in a separate thread in a few days (I’ll put a link here to there of course), unzip the cover and show how it is inside, take pictures, give my impressions of their range of product and my experience because I also visited an Essentia outlet prior to my purchase because there is one around where I live. I am just writing this in case there would be some specific questions that I could answer at the same time that I shall write my review to make it as complete and useful as possible. Again I only intend to do this to return the favor of having had the chance to access quality information on this website and hopefully contribute with what I can tell about what turned out to be my choice.

this site is very useful for purchasing a mattress ,lots of work put into it and many people contributing as well.This is a good thing ,and one has to take the information and navigate for themselves and find what they need.
I am sure it has helped many.And I too have gained knowledge.
One can gain the information then decide for themselves.
at least this information is here and that is a big plus.

that is all i have to post.
thank you

In ten days I will have surgery so it is not possible with my issues to find mattress in two weeks,at least for me.

suddenly TMASC has come up with an alternative ,green sleep ,extra soft,soft and firm layers no foundation 3800.00 and it is not in my city .however i must go across town(limping ) try the one half of the vinchesa and then wait weeks for it to come from their other store unless I hire a truck… and get it myself,.i bought the adjustable from them and NOTHING HAS ANY RETURN,

you keep asking me why I don’t go to the other ones,I told you one sent me to baratric beds ,
and the other wont talk to me .who know? Maybe you could e mail me privately on that one.I cannot post this on the forum.

I would hope that you would qualify that only in US is it easy to get a bed in two weeks,

now I talked to berkely ergo and she hasn’t called me back.
guy form TMASC said i would break the box spring.he wants me to purchase a sleeptek med med which is a rock -and then a 1000 topper which totals 4900.

I told you this in a another post so I have looked.
tried essential ,they have a floor model they can sell and they weren’t half bad.except the are 8 inches and you think its what polyfoam,actually i wouldn’t mind that .

then there dis the lago navous waiting -shopkeeper cant take it out of the box because she doesn’t have the manpower?even tho there are men making deliveries form their store.
remember it is talalay and their floor model is dunlop.

so there it is ,and i am so tired i could scream,
i bought a pillow from essential cause i can’t move my neck anymore thanks to tempur,

on a positive note,here is what i think i need a medium firm layer of dunlop ,6-8 inches and then a soft talalay topper of 3 inches.that is aprox 9 nine inch mattress but no one to make it for me.NO ONE .

if they could the cost would be over 4500 dollars ,so please do not say one more time that these mattress are any cheaper cause they are not.this is the deal and only essential does a trial ,that is it,whatever people are telling you in my area it is NOT accurate …unless of course you are perfect weight with no issues at all ,then maybe I would believe it.

you didn’t directly answer my question who the heck is telling me the truth here? Is essential ok for my weight it says no on net ,does it stink less than temopur ?

Then there the guy in bc who would have made me one no references nothing no trial no nothing if i sent him 3900.what the H?

I am beyond frustrated here and the clock keeps ticking.this experience is not good i have other things to get ready for surgery and no one wants to offer a bed except essentia.and a floor model 3500 lago navous with no warranty .
pretty soon i am just going to hand over my money…to anyone with a solution…

oh and green sleep at the store for that ridiculous price ,no warranty and no return and no delivery.at 3900?

HOW CAN YOU THINK THAT NAY OF THESE SELLERS ARE FAIR OR EVEN READILY AVAILABLE?

PERHAPS YOU CAN HELP ME ORDER ONE PERSONALLY ?

i like this forum and I am a good person but the info is in- accurate for my region.just frustrated,can’t you see that?

and now i go to survey with no possibility of rest .

Hi Kayla,

Lets take things from a different approach … one step at a time.

Can you list the local stores that you have looked at from the Calgary list (or that aren’t on the list if you have considered others) and let me know your finalist at each of them (the mattress that you would purchase there if you had no other options than to purchase from that particular retailer or manufacturer)?

Then can you list the online manufacturers and retailers you have talked with and your finalist with each of them as well?

If you can include just this information and nothing else I may be able to point out any that you may have missed that may also be worth considering or help you decide between your finalists based on all the criteria that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Hi kayla,

I am trying to help you take a more “step by step” approach.

It would be helpful if you can list each specific manufacturer or retailer you have either visited locally or talked to on the phone from the online list (step 3) (only the list … nothing else) and let me know your finalist at each of them (step 4) before working on step 5 which is your final choice.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

soundless good keep it simple

1- tmasc-loooked at sleeptek 3800.00 plus 1000. for berkely soft topper.the man there wont sell me the green sleep -not right for me he says.tried different firmness of sleeptek in showroom - no pressure relief,
Now berkley spring mattress there too.but no trial on oslo model.2500.00 only can have mattress he says i will break the box,I want the box too.but he can be very firm.
and today called when i was ill and said can do everything over the phone ,was wanting to get on with it.I should decide between the two and pay to get it going.how can decide if haven’t tried berkely?I really dont have 4800 more and why can i Not try green sleep said he wouldn’t sell it to me.I would like a spring mattress but those are built with a special box ,how does he know I will break it? is he psychic? just a thought.
this is where I got the adjustable.so berkley can go on adjustable.Now sleeptek 6 weeks out -and berkely like 3 or something.This fellow has done this before tried to decide for me,but wanted to research,.FINALIST here might be berkley springs if i could TRY IT.

2-the one said go to health and get bariatric-couldnt help- was rude -wont name them

3-rivas-selling floor model of OMI (Organicpedic) the lago in talaly another no try but going back to showroom to see,can get the terra very expensive -6500.the lago floor model 3500 and includes box could be use on adjustable for surgery,now i have condo no place to store anything. Tried dunlop lago and was ok but not so great with alignment,could get hand in behind very easily.also tried soft greensleep there and loved it.not sure why the above retailer wont sell it to me or at least let me try.They sell a few other brands.FINALIST here would be terra if could afford it.and green sleep but lady said some make impressions.Lag Navous needs another try but she can’t open the floor model.???see what i mean

4-okay then there is essentia.
now keep in mind I like foams and need to transition out of tempur.Without pain.FINALIST HERE would be essential 8 medium firm not soft.I sink in softs usually.they give 60 days trial On NEW
Girl there had been in car accident and she sold me a pillow that solved my neck pain! I could hug her for that!!!
tomorrow I can try their floor model softer 8 …but i think firmer in that would be better.this softer may be available now I asked if i sunk thru any of them she said no and wouldn’t sell me one I did sink in.Now these were easier than tempur to move in and pressure relief a big deal,going back to try floor model at 4 sunday so need some direction.about 2100. another poster said they tried just polyurethane with fibro myagia and it worked,as horrible as poly is.

5- sleep country regular beds-like beauty rest -tempur etc. must use -soft topper on them -horrid things.

Sorry for the info but there are two options,stay in tempur ,and get thru surgery ,was looking for an immediate replacement,or get replacement and if not good move on to another …

Can I have a spring bed? and why would i put it on an adjustable ,I just would like a bed.box and all.

now as i said I a big fan of memory foam for pressure relieving. if i can MOVE.and wonder how to adjust to springs from here?
I have a love hate relationship with tempur.moslty HATE
as i sink and heat issues .But essentia was supportive,noT the best movement but better than tempur. I dont care whats in a mattress as long as it isn’t toxic like tempur and hot.I would like a natural bed but so unsure which at this point.I was told I needed a 9 or 10 inch minimum ? is this correct.
ONLINE -PLUSH BEDS -I PAY SHIP AND THE PURE POLY ONE (NO SHIP HERE)AND BERKLEY AND EUROPEAN MATTRESS CANT SHIP HERE.
ALSO EVEN LOOKED AT SLEEP NUMBER UGHH -HORRIBLE I THINK I DONT KNOW.
LAST ONE IN VANCOUVER -LATEX GOLD haven’t talked ot hm for awhile -he said bed and box latex ,and really knew what he was talking about.but no trial no seeing not sure ?

bottom line only two immediates and four possibilities down the road.I will use adjustable for surgery but dont mind dumping it down the road =HEIGHTeasier to get in abed that is higher with a bad knee.I have 13 in tempur now,and 16 in adjustable and iron frame =29 in but best would be 24-28 in .anyhting lower a no go I am 5’9’’
clock is ticking for me to surgery so ty sorry hope i didn’t make it complicated.

k

Hi kayla,

That’s much more information that I was hoping for because I only wanted the name of each retailer/manufacturer you have dealt with and the name of a single mattress from each of them where you had decided on as a “hypothetical finalist” but I will use the information you provided to help you take one more step in the process. You would be using the information in post #13 here to decide on a single finalist at each store (not several possibilities … just a single finalist where you have ruled out all the other mattresses that are sold at that store for any reasons that are important to you).

[b]http://www.tmasc.ca/store/sfnt.html[/b]

'Good for him. That’s a sign of an ethical dealer that would rather lose a sale than sell you a mattress that they are reasonably certain wouldn’t be suitable for you.

He is giving you an educated and well informed opinion based on his many years of knowledge and experience. Again … this is a sign of a conscientious retailer that doesn’t want to sell you something that they believe would either be unsuitable for you (and result in an unhappy customer) or that would have higher odds of being a warranty issue.

It sounds like you are either considering or are still deciding whether to consider …

1. The Sleepek Euro IV (with the BE 2" topper

2. One of the BE mattresses (you didn’t say which one). Which one are you still considering? If you can’t test it are you still considering it?

Have I missed any of the options here that you are still considering here?

Since the SleepTek is 6 weeks for delivery and the BE is 3 weeks does this exclude all of your “finalists” here right off the top or would you still be open to continuing to sleep what you have until one of these could be delivered. In other words … are you still considering any of their mattresses?

Don’t forget I would like you to narrow down your choices to only one “hypothetical finalist” at each retailer based on where things stand and what you know regardless of whether you will or would actually end up buying it. This would be based on your testing and on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. If your finalist is not a choice that you would want to consider compared to your other finalists at other stores then it will be easy to rule out in the next step but first is deciding who to deal with and narrowing down your choices to only one at each retailer is what we are trying to do here.

[b]http://www.rivasecostore.com/[/b]

It sounds like you either have considered or are still deciding whether to consider …

1. The Lago floor model

2. The Terra

Which one is your finalist here or do you still plan to do any further testing or research at this store before deciding on your “hypothetical” finalist?

[b]http://www.myessentia.com/locations/calgary/[/b]

So I understand that you have decided on the Classic 8 (you mentioned the Essential 8 but I don’t see this on their website). I didn’t realize that they had a softer version of the Classic 8 (it also isn’t on their website) but it sounds like you are still planning on doing some further testing here anyway … is that correct? When you have done your additional testing let me know which mattress is your “hypothetical finalist” here.

5- sleep country regular beds-like beauty rest -tempur etc. must use -soft topper on them -horrid things.

I can only help you with mattresses where you are able to find out all the materials and components inside it so I can’t help you with any of these (and I would avoid all of them) so if you decide to go in this direction you would be on your own (and making a very high risk choice IMO).

OTHERS:

The Calgary list includes 8 options. With one of these the website isn’t functioning (Intellibed) and it would probably be safe to rule out Ikea so that leaves 4 more options that you haven’t included in your list. Which of these have you considered and outside of the store you are having an issue with (which will be obvious through a process of elimination but you don’t need to go into detail about why) … what are your finalists at each of the remaining stores (or why are you excluding them)?

I also linked to a list of online Canadian options in my previous replies … which of these have you considered or talked with (outside of TMASC and Halstead which are local to you) and what is your finalist at each of them that you wish to consider (or why are you ruling out the ones that you aren’t considering) … especially the ones that sell latex latex hybrid mattresses which you appear to be most interested in?

Phoenix

here is the bed I feel may be mine

min 6 inch solid medium - firm “quality” possibly organic Gla? certified dunlop core topped by a one inch medium -soft dunlop layer topped by a 1 to 1.5 inch softest talaly latex .
double wrapped in pure certified top quality, organic cotton. no wool, thanks.
Soft yet supportive.

however …a medium firm essentia would be superb for healing!

BUT he essential would have to be at least 10 inches thick minimum.with only 2-2.5 of those inches being a medium firm top.
that is not possible.

“Good for him. That’s a sign of an ethical dealer that would rather lose a sale than sell you a mattress that they are reasonably certain wouldn’t be suitable for you.”
YES HE ALSO HAD A TEMPORARY SOLUTION FOR ME HE SAID AND CALLED NEW YEARS EVE BUT NEVER LEFT A MESSAGE.I WAS ILL THAT EVE,SO NO IDEA HE CALLED WITHOUT A MESSAGE.ANYWAY HE SOLD MY SOULUTION ,AND I REALIZE EVERYONE MUST MAKE MONEY…I ASKED WHAT THE TEMP SOLUTION WAS AND HE WOULDN’T TELL ME…SO I GUESS I MISSED OUT . I COULD BE SOLD THE PROPER FIRMNESS IN A GREENSLEEP PROBABLY.
THEN HE CALLED TO FINALIZE A SALE ON PHONE,I WAS TOO ILL TO REALLY SPEAK AT THAT TIME.AND NOT READY WITH MY FINAL DECIISON.

AS FOR THE BOX TO THE BERKLEY THE BERKLEY LADY THINKS IT WOULD BE OK BUT IT HAS TO COME TO HIS SHOP.IF THAT WERE MY CHOICE THEN I WOULD LIKE BOTH BOX AND BED, SINCE ITS MY BED,AND MY CHOICE.

ANYWAY I HAVE DISCOVERED SOME POSSIBILITYS AFTER MUCH SEARCHING AND LEARNING FORM THIS SITE…THERE ARE TWO -3 FINALISTS ,HERE THEY ARE.

1-A CUSTOM MADE CERTIFIED GOL ORGANIC,6 INCH CORE MEDIUM FIRM DUNLOP LATEX,NEXT LAYER A 2 IN MEDIUM SOFT DUNLOP AND LASTLY A 2.5- 3 IN INCH SOFTEST TALALAY LATEX FOR PRESSURE RELIEF.THIS WOULD BE "DOUBLE "WRAPPED IN THE SOFTEST ORGANIC NATURAL COTTON .DELIVERED AND WITH A FULL WARRANTY.REASONABLE PRICE.

2- ESSENTIA WOULD RULE FOR HEALING AND PRESSURE POINTS.BUT IT WOULD HAVE TO BE 8 INCHES OF LATEX AND 2 INCHES SOFT FOAM ON TOP. CUSTOM MADE.UNSURE IF THIS IS POSSIBLE

3-WOULD LIKE TO TRY THE OSLO BERLKELY BED THAT WOULD BE THIRD.

STILL CONSIDERING ALTERNATIVES AS TO WHAT IS AVAILABLE TO ME NOW. BUT SO MUCH CLOSER.
THANK YOU.