Opinion on Mattress for Young Kid

Hello:

I am interested in purchasing a new mattress for my kiddo and wanted to get an opinion on type. I have searched the forum and read the prior comments/posts about the firmness levels needed for young kids - basically 5 yrs old. I have also read the various recommendations/posts of what folks had purchased and it has helped me narrow my choices down to the below. Obviously I want a bed that does not off-gas and am looking at a full size.

**Two sided latex mattress from My Green Store:

**The Sleeptex Sueno from

**Build our own (as I learned one poster was thinking of doing)

We were thinking originally on a 6" firm latex for the kids but it was mentioned that coil type beds may be better for kids at this age for better support and latex may be too dense or thick. I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on coil beds vs latex or should either be fine (latex just needs to be firm). Also do not want a hybrid blend of latex - being a mix of synthetic.

Does anyone own a sleeptex? Any suggestions for other brands/types would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Hi diewiren,

You’ve probably seen this already but just in case you haven’t post #2 here includes links to the better forum threads about mattresses and children.

All of the choices you are considering are certainly good quality options.

I would treat this as a matter of preference as long as the latex was in the firmer range. IMO both would be good options.

Post #21 here includes the members of the site that sell latex or latex hybrid mattresses online. You’ve already discovered two of the better options you have available and it may also be worthwhile considering SleepEz which also has 6" 100% natural latex mattresses with two individual 3" layers that can be customized with either a wool quilted cover or a stretch knit cover.

Phoenix

Thanks so much Phoenix for your reply and your other suggestions! Yes, I did see the Post 2 regarding mattresses and children which is where I learned a lot regarding the importance of firmness for a mattress for children. Am looking at your Post 21 you linked and the other suppliers listed.

Am very appreciative that this forum exists! It is a great resource and thank you for your help.

Sorry, have another question.

We are thinking of purchasing 100% pure latex over the coiled mattress with latex for the longevity. Correct us if we are wrong but most coiled mattresses may last for 10+ years while latex may last for up to 20+ years. We definitely want something that will last until they are in college.

A local dealer will give us 20% off the Sleeptek Sueno kids collection however while looking at the description it states the bed will last up to 150 lbs - which we are thinking depending on large our son grows may last him til freshman in high school if he is like his dad. I noticed there is the “regular” Sleeptek which depending on firmness will either be 180 lbs (for med) and 180+ (for firm). Of course there is a major cost difference between the kids and the “regular” almost $1K difference. Do you know the difference between the two besides the weight? Is it because of the firmness? Would you just recommend buying a “regular” 6" firm over the kids line of any brand - which right now to us may be the best bang for the buck, so to speak.

Thanks again.

Hi diesiren,

You can read about the factors that are involved in durability and the useful life of a mattress in post #4 here and the other posts it links to. Innersprings are not normally the weak link of a mattress and the most important part of durability is the materials above the spring. The main reason that so many innerspring mattresses have a shorter lifetime is because of the quality of the foam above them which can soften and break down long before most innersprings … not because of the innerspring itself … although with some types of innersprings (particularly with higher gauge pocket coils that use thinner wire) that have thinner layers of foam above the springs so that the springs are compressed more deeply then the springs themselves can be a durability factor as well.

I tend to resist the temptation to attach a specific number of years to any mattress because there are so many factors involved in durability and the useful life of a mattress. Some latex mattresses will last less than 20 years and some will last more depending on the type and firmness of the latex and on the amount of softening that it would take to put someone outside the range of their comfort and support needs. Some people may have “room” for more foam softening and the same mattress may no longer provide the comfort and support that one person needs but may still be fine for someone else that has a different range for comfort and support that is suitable for their body type and sleeping positions (see post #2 here). With the age and smaller body type of a child I would say the odds are high that the mattress will last until they go to college but they may want to do some fine tuning (such as adding a topper) once their body starts to mature and develop as they may need some additional softness on top.

The 150 lb weight that they mention is not because of durability issues but because a 6" latex mattress may not be as comfortable or as suitable for a larger body type. It can also be flipped and rotated so this adds to the durability of any mattress even that is made with as durable a material as latex.

The “regular” mattress (assuming you mean this one) appears to use the same thickness and type of latex (100% natural Dunlop) but many manufacturers have a smaller margin for mattresses that they market as “children’s mattresses”. There may also be some difference in the type of cover or quilting they use but they should be able to tell you if there are any other differences that account for the significant difference in price between them (and it would be interesting if you posted their reply here for others that are looking at the same choices). Once again any weight guidelines would be for “guestimates” for suitability not for the durability of the latex.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I wanted to follow-up with this post with a reply from Sleeptek regarding the difference between the children’s line and “regular” line or their Classic 2000 series. Depending on dealer it could be called something different. One website calls it the Sueno Kids collection and another it is called the “Naturally Organic” Little Sprout.

The difference between the kid and “regular” lines - besides the higher cost - two doesn’t seem to be much.

From Sleeptek:

*The amount of wool that is used in the quilting different. The Classic 2000 series will have double the wool used.
*The Classic 2000 series is available in both medium and firm. While the kids mattress is only available in medium.
*The kids mattress is designed for children with a maximum weight of 150lbs. Given that the mattress does not have much padding, if someone with a higher weight will find the mattress too firm. When the child becomes older can always add a topper to make them more comfortable.
*The Classic 2000 does not come with a removable mattress cover.
*The quality of the rubber is the same for both mattresses.

So with the huge cost difference almost $1K and since there isn’t much difference and what we need right now it makes sense to purchase the kids line.

Hopefully this can help someone else out when they are looking. Thanks again for all the work you do.

Hi diesiren,

Thanks for sharing the information from your conversation with Sleeptek… I appreciate it.

Congratulations as well on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Latex foam combination mattresses are very good for children .