Opinion on these specs

I went too a small furniture store in Massachusetts which advertises locally built mattresses in their store. The sales person told me they are made in Brockton Massachusetts. Here is the link to the store mattress page. http://www.westwoodfurniture.com/furniture/mattress.html.

The mattress felt good and it looked to be well built. Here is the breakdown of the specs as shown. What are your thoughts?

368 coil 12 1/2 gauge spring with double edge guard
1’’ pad heavy cotton rag insulator
1’’ pad 2 1/2 ounce Resilium
1’’ High density firm 1.834 polyurethane foam
2’’ High density plush 2.621 polyurethane foam
2’’ Quiltex topper - a supersoft foam

I don’t think springs are too durable but I could be wrong. How much is this mattress?

Twin $579 / Twin set $679

Full $749 / Full set $899

Queen $949 / Queen set $1149

King 1199 / King set $1449

Hi napper,

The specs are fine except for the 2’’ Quiltex topper which doesn’t include any information about the density of the foam.

If a mattress has more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality or unknown foam in the upper layers then it could be a weak link in terms of the durability and useful life of the mattress.

If a quilting layer (or any layer) is lower density or “unknown density” and is only “about an inch or so” or less then it doesn’t really have a meaningful effect on the durability of a mattress and just affects the “surface feel” of the mattress. If the layer is quilted to the cover then the quilting pre compresses the foam and makes it a little more durable so in practical terms I normally use about 1.5" as a maximum thickness guideline. 2" is just on the other side of the line I normally look for so there would be some additional risk in terms of durability because with a 2" layer premature foam softening and breakdown can have a bigger effect on the loss of comfort and support over time than it would if the layer was thinner. If the Quiltex topper is 1.8 lb density or higher and you are in an average weight range (2 lbs if you are in a higher weight range) then it wouldn’t make any difference but I’m guessing that the density would likely be lower … particularly with quilting foam.

@stevejarek,

You are definitely wrong. A 368 coil 12.5 gauge linked innerspring such as the knotted offset innerspring here would certainly be a very strong and durable component
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: Error 404: Not Found - L&P Bedding Group

An innerspring also isn’t normally the weakest link in a mattress and the durability and useful life of a mattress will depend much more on the quality and durability of the materials or components that are on top of the innerspring than on the innerspring itself. If the innerspring in a mattress is firm enough to keep you in good alignment and a mattress “as a whole” is a good match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) then it’s very unlikely that an innerspring would be an issue in terms of durability.

There is more about the pros and cons of different types of innersprings in this article and in post #10 here.

Phoenix